Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is tonight the 3rd biggest game in our clubs history after Hereford and the FA Cup Final?..

3rd biggest game in our history?

• Yes I agree

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • No it’s bigger than that

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • I neither agree or disagree

Votes: 33 37.5%

• Total voters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure the Wigan game was bigger. Brighton had been in the top flight before, albeit with a different name. But tonight is proper unchartered territory. In fact *some* people might say it could define the season...

I would say:
Hereford (most important and 'big' in a different way)
Cup final(s)
Tonight

:albion:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Unchartered territory, the game gets bigger again next week if we are still in it after tonight.

Still have to pinch myself, Ajax, Marseille, Roma WTF is happening to us?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No, but it's the biggest game overseas in our club history, a record held by the Battle of Longford Town for 22 years until this season.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
The 1910 FA Charity shield was a big game where the champions of the northern Football League played the champions of the Southern League League (for teams south of Birmingham)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Unchartered territory, the game gets bigger again next week if we are still in it after tonight.

Still have to pinch myself, Ajax, Marseille, Roma WTF is happening to us?
And bigger again for the quarter final, if we manage to get through to tie

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tonight is probably the biggest game and stage that we have been on.
Really?

Back in 1983 the FA Cup Final was a fixture that virtually stopped the entire nation plus drew global audiences of millions.

Yes, tonight is huge for us - but I don't see how a (first leg) Round of 16 game in the Europa league even remotely compares with an FA Cup Final at Wembley vs Manchester United. Still, all about opinions I suppose.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
And bigger again for the quarter final, if we manage to get through to tie
I was going to say, you can't know, as the other two games are in the past and the results known. When we get to the Final in Dublin, these ties will count as mere stepping stones

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surprised to see people claiming this is bigger than the FA Cup Final. Perhaps due to current perceptions of that competition. If you judge it by the standards of the time, it's like saying that reaching the last 16 of the UEFA Cup in 1983 would have been bigger than reaching the FA Cup Final. Not even close.

It's a very big match, but the Cup Final would have been watched by billions all over the world. A bigger stage, a bigger opponent in terms of worldwide reputation and a bigger prize.
And anyone our age, whether Brighton / Man Utd fans, still mention and recall it. No-one except those involved will remember who was in the UEFA Cup Final that year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure the Wigan game was bigger. Brighton had been in the top flight before, albeit with a different name. But tonight is proper unchartered territory. In fact *some* people might say it could define the season...

I would say:
Hereford (most important and 'big' in a different way)
Cup final(s)
Tonight

:albion:
I agree, but more because even if we'd lost the Wigan game we still only needed one win in our next 3 games or for Hudds to have not got 13 points from their 5 remaining games - the fat lady was already singing as far as top 2 was concerned. That diminishes the bigness of it a bit, great occasion as it was.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think to qualify as BIG a match needs to either have some serious downside if lost, or amazing upside if won.
On those criteria, Hereford was clearly the biggest (existential downside), and 83 Cup Final second biggest (upside clearly huge).
In the case of the Wigan game, although historic, if we'd lost there were still three matches after it - and in fact even though we only got one point from those three matches, we were still easily promoted.
Personally, whilst today's game is huge, I think both matches v Marseille were bigger - the first one because we announced our place in Europe, and the second because qualifying as group winners was amazing. I also think there's a good case to argue that the match v Stockport in 09/10 was bigger (as highlighted by Paris).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here