Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is 'Time Commanders' with Greg Wallace the worst thing on TV?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what I would love to know is how come a greengrocer can become or called a chef,food critic and now ............................

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
what I would love to know is how come a greengrocer can become or called a chef,food critic and now ............................

I admire him for the way he's blagged it to become what he is

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I've never heard of it, what is it?

I quite like Gregg Wallace (sorry!)

It was a show where a team would take control of a particular side in a famous battle, there would be a couple of experts who would give an overview and then it'd be the team vs the computer. They then used the computer engine for Rome: Total War, if you've ever played these it's essentially the option where you can play a historic battle but in front of the TV cameras.

The new series has a slightly updated game engine and is Rome 2 and more modern battles. The main difference is that two teams play each other. In the first episode (Zama) this seemed bizarre mainly because in the real battle the odds were very much stacked against the Carthaginian army, but this couldn't be reflected (both armies were deemed 'equal'). They also seem to have a larger budget and have reinactors explain or detail some of the weaponry used (in the Zama episode this was a bit odd as it related to kit the Romans used way after Zama).

It's got mixed reviews, I was a huge fan of the original series as it was more informative but now it feels as if it's about personalities rather than learning anything. When you had one team versus the AI you could root more for the human lot, now it's which team you hate the least. I don't think it focuses as much on facts, but give it a go and see what you think.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In response to post #42

When I first saw it, it was about the time that Wallace was having a few dust ups in restaurants when he had a few too many......I always think of this Viz article when I see him on the box now.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In response to post #42

When I first saw it, it was about the time that Wallace was having a few dust ups in restaurants when he had a few too many......I always think of this Viz article when I see him on the box now.
Hes a.Millwall fan , and used to get "involved" on occasion.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Who watches Mrs Browns Boys? Still?

Its turning more and more insane as time gets on. The original radio series was just about tolerable; the books and the Anjelica Huston movie also just about OK; now its an excuse for O'Carroll to wear a frumpy dress. Mrs Brown is meant to be Brendan O'Carroll's mother but his mother was a Labour politician and the opposition chief whip!

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I've been interested in The Battle Of Waterloo since I was 12 years old (a long time ago), I have a lot of books about the battle and the uniforms and ordinance so I watched this programme (I haven't seen any of the others). It was absolute rubbish (Wallace shouting didn't help). It was factually poor and was of no interest at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here