Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tiger in trouble?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He probably will, he is the best player in the world.....but he shouldnt be in the tournement now.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
2 shot penalty confirmed.

DISGRACEFUL decision. He MUST disqualify himself. Many have in the past, why not him?

Where in the rules of golf does it say that you can change your score after you have signed your card?? Many people have signed for a score HIGHER than they should have done, but they have had to abide by what they signed for.

Appalling.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
That is bullcrap
1990 Norman disqualifies himself after a round when he carried out an illegal drop (same as Tiger)
1992 Nick Faldo disqualified from a tournament for signing an incorrect card
Same tournament Nick Price disqualified himself after failing to mark a penalty for caddie moving and imovable object.
1995 Faldo again disqualified for signing an incorrect score card not having realised he had broken a local rule.
2011 Harrington for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Many others are listed. Nearly all are disqualified for signing an incorrect score card after a penalty they did not realised they had incurred.

Oh, sorry this is Tiger so we must make an exception. As Tiger said yesterday 'rules are rules...'

If he carries on I will lose a lot more respect for him.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
That is bullcrap
1990 Norman disqualifies himself after a round when he carried out an illegal drop (same as Tiger)
1992 Nick Faldo disqualified from a tournament for signing an incorrect card
Same tournament Nick Price disqualified himself after failing to mark a penalty for caddie moving and imovable object.
1995 Faldo again disqualified for signing an incorrect score card not having realised he had broken a local rule.
2011 Harrington for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Many others are listed. Nearly all are disqualified for signing an incorrect score card after a penalty they did not realised they had incurred.

Oh, sorry this is Tiger so we must make an exception. As Tiger said yesterday 'rules are rules...'

If he carries on I will lose a lot more respect for him.

Not sure if the other players will respect him either ?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I actually have to post this though, a rule change made last year means that if the committee believes (cop out)

..the competitor could not reasonably have known or discovered the facts resulting in his breach of the Rules, it would be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving the disqualification penalty prescribed by Rule 6-6d.

But 'HE DID KNOW', he said as much, and the rule is clear ...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Its a difficult decision for them to have made, to be fair, you've got to think, well if we DQ him, the interest will subside a little and the crowds will hate it because they absolutely adore tiger in the US. I think taking history out, a 2 shot penalty seems fair to me, does he really deserve to be thrown out for something that isn't deliberate cheating? I know I'm going against the grain but I hope he carries on. I'm not an avid golf watcher mind but to me, if Woods isn't there, I'm far less likely to tune in.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Its a difficult decision for them to have made, to be fair, you've got to think, well if we DQ him, the interest will subside a little and the crowds will hate it because they absolutely adore tiger in the US. I think taking history out, a 2 shot penalty seems fair to me, does he really deserve to be thrown out for something that isn't deliberate cheating? I know I'm going against the grain but I hope he carries on. I'm not an avid golf watcher mind but to me, if Woods isn't there, I'm far less likely to tune in.

No, if it is an infringement he was not aware of then he should stay. The new rule was introduced due to HD TV seeing minute movements that may be an infringement, but the player had not seen it.

This is where Tiger knew he had to drop as close to the original posisition as possible, but by his own admission dropped it two feet further back to improve the shot. That is a clear action in breach of a written rule which a pro golfer should know (ignorance is not defense). If he had not said anything then you might believe he thought that was the spot. He hung himself, but TV ratings swept that aside.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He did and he knows it. He dropped it back to the left and to far behind. Its Wood so he'll get away with it but anyone else they'd be disquilyed.
I don't go in for this conspiracy theory nonsense, but it seems you're dead right. What a sham.

I actually have to post this though, a rule change made last year means that if the committee believes (cop out)

..the competitor could not reasonably have known or discovered the facts resulting in his breach of the Rules, it would be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving the disqualification penalty prescribed by Rule 6-6d.

Exactly. Some nonsense read out about HD footage - it wasn't footage that showed him to be wrong, he said he went back 2 yards to gain an advantage.

I'm afraid that they will have to DQ him. He opted to retake the shot but said in an interview that he wanted to add two yards on the shot whereas the ball had to be dropped where he took the previous shot from.

They have no choice. As Tiger said when the 14 year old was penalised for slow play, "Rules is rules".
Ah yes, but there's some secret rules that say you can't DQ Tiger.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants

Totally agree - this is an absolute farce. He clearly knew - he said so at the press conference!

In any circumstances this would undermine the credibility of the authorities and the player - but for it to happen on the very same day they play Jobsworth with the youngster beggars belief.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If he wasnt sure of the rules, he could of asked the match rules official for a ruling

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Then he should take the decision away from them and disqualify himself. Many others have in the past.

I had little respect for him anyway, but what I did have has been evaporated by this. He has until the time he is supposed to tee off to redeem himself.

Three-time Masters winner Nick Faldo on Tiger Woods' two-shot penalty: "He still has time, if he is smart and if he understands we have got to uphold the rules of this game, the gentlemanly conduct and the integrity of our game.
"We are custodians of it and we carry that forward.
"All those guys who have called their playing partners over and said 'I took the club back and it has rolled'. They have moved a quarter of an inch, what difference does it make? But you say 'Sorry mate, add a shot'.
"This is a very historic moment in our game and Tiger could come out of it with good brownie points and say 'no, you are right'.
"He took advantage and he knows he took advantage."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
It gets worse. HE MUST DISQUALIFY HIMSELF...

Fred Ridley, the chairman of the Masters competition committee, has released a statement detailing his reasons for penalising Tiger Woods two shots despite the four-time winner apparently revealing that he had knowingly dropped the ball illegally yesterday.
Basically Tiger gets off because the officials made an even bigger mistake.
"In preparation for his fifth shot, the player dropped his ball in close proximity to where he had played his third shot in apparent conformance with Rule 26," said Ridley.
"After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.
"The subsequent information provided by the player's interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning...the penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player's round."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Just started he's round. :(

Well there we are.

Any golfer who knows anything about the rules, tradition and honour of the game that knows that they have broken a rule, whether deliberately or not, would have withdrawn.

Cheat is a harsh word, but now Mr Woods is one on the course as well as off in my eyes.

A very sad day for golf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here