Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Thunderbirds the best TV show ever made?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well, it can't have been either of those, because they are both brilliant. Simply brilliant. You must have accidentally shown them the Christmas one, which was unfortunate. Or maybe the one where... Nope, that's the only dull one. Sit him down and watch the one where Thunderbird 2 gets shot down by the Navy (the same Navy who caused an offshore oil rig to explode!!! Careless), the title is Tower Inferno or something like that. It's basically a premonition of the Twin Towers (without being struck by a plane).

Well I can assure that it must have been! Thunderbirds was great 40 years ago, but to kids nowadays it is slow and boring. Not enough action! And Gerry Anderson was not a modern day Nostradamus! He was hugely imaginative and brilliant in his time, but very dated now.

Can I respectfully suggest that you need to get out more!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Which version did you buy for £12.99?! And from where?! The one I had cost rather a lot more than that... It was 6/7 years ago so obviously the price has come down but at the time I paid over £100 for my DVD collection!

- - - Updated - - -

Which version did you buy for £12.99?! And from where?! The one I had cost rather a lot more than that... It was 6/7 years ago so obviously the price has come down but at the time I paid over £100 for my DVD collection!

It was in a sale on Amazon but I just checked and its back to 29.99

Thunderbirds Complete Series Digistack--9-Disc Box Set DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Thunderbirds: Film TV

My mistake it was £15.50p

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well I can assure that it must have been! Thunderbirds was great 40 years ago, but to kids nowadays it is slow and boring. Not enough action! And Gerry Anderson was not a modern day Nostradamus! He was hugely imaginative and brilliant in his time, but very dated now.

Can I respectfully suggest that you need to get out more!

This is nonsense, watch the episode I suggested and there's more action packed into that hour than than an entire series of Doctor Who!

As for getting out more, why bother? I have the whole series of Thunderbirds on DVD. :dunce:

:lolol: That's the one I have! Fantastic value, even at £30.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
This is nonsense, watch the episode I suggested and there's more action packed into that hour than than an entire series of Doctor Who!

As for getting out more, why bother? I have the whole series of Thunderbirds on DVD. :dunce:

:lolol: That's the one I have! Fantastic value, even at £30.

these chaps who think there is no action need to get out more!!! the very first episode with the bomb ( labelled as bomb Mk1) in the undercarriage bay of an atomic powered plane on which Tim Tin was flying has more action and suspense in the hour than poxy Dr Who....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
these chaps who think there is no action need to get out more!!! the very first episode with the bomb ( labelled as bomb Mk1) in the undercarriage bay of an atomic powered plane on which Tim Tin was flying has more action and suspense in the hour than poxy Dr Who....

When the Imposters threaten the future of IR and the Space monitoring technician gets blasted off into space and Jeff can't decide whether to risk it and go after him... You just don't get suspense like that watching Doctor Who.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

You will have to send it to me - the likelihood of anyone in South Africa knowing about Thunderbirds, let alone having a DVD of it is slim to non-existent! And no, I do not want to own the whole series thanks!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thunderbirds-400x300.jpg

Or is it just me who thinks so?

No. It's rubbish.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
When the Imposters threaten the future of IR and the Space monitoring technician gets blasted off into space and Jeff can't decide whether to risk it and go after him... You just don't get suspense like that watching Doctor Who.

Suspense is not action. Kids these days want planes to explode, not get vaguely excited at the thought that they might explode! Well mine do anyway.

My youngest nags to watch Doctor Who, so we turn it on and he is off doing something else within 5 minutes every time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Suspense is not action. Kids these days want planes to explode, not get vaguely excited at the thought that they might explode! Well mine do anyway.

My youngest nags to watch Doctor Who, so we turn it on and he is off doing something else within 5 minutes every time.

Dare I suggest the problem is with your son rather than the quality programming he is unable to pay attention to?!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Dare I suggest the problem is with your son rather than the quality programming he is unable to pay attention to?!

How dare you!!!! I am outraged!!!!!

Actually, you are probably correct - his favourite show at the moment is Lock n Load with the bloke from Full Metal Jacket but even with that he gets bored if he does not blow enough things up!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I remember Thunderbirds being very dull when I was a kid. An hour of close ups of puppets with fake sweat and clocks ticking down. They re-ran the whole lot on bbc2 on Friday's at 6 when I was about 14. Still dull then. I imagine it will only get worse with age. Mind you I hated all kids TV when I was a kid. Much preferred watching stuff like Cagney and Lacey or going out on my bike. Tell a lie, I did like SuperTed. and FunHouse with Pat Sharpe.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Thunderbirds is brilliant. So is Stingrey. Love both shows! How can you not?

But Dr. Who has been around for 50 years! It must be doing something right! It's longevity and ability to 'reinvent' itself makes it the best show ever for me. Not to say many of the shows mentioned on this thread aren't epic, they're great choices and wonderful telly, but they have a shelf life.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is a classic example of Thunderbirds turning something that should be suspenseful and thrilling into a yawn-fest. Watching R Lee Ermey destroying a car with a machine gun that fires 3000 rounds a minute is far more exciting!

With respect, that is a SHOCKING opinion.

The genius of Thunderbirds is that it might have been seen as a kids show, and I had the toys growing up, but the stories stand up even now and is easily watchable. Brilliant TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here