Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the worst Australian test side, ever?

Is this the weakest Aussie side, ever?

• Yes, the series is there for the taking .

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • No, they will come good and snatch glorious victory, as usual

Votes: 33 49.3%

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The poll doesn't really work as the answers relate to a different question. Is this the worst Aussie aide ever - NO, not by a long shot, they were atrocious in the late 80's. Will they come good. YES. So how should I vote?

Agree - not the worst ever, but not the best ever either, by a long shot. Hope all those who think they are the worst will enjoy the fourth and fifth tests when Freddy and Pietersen are crocked and Brett Lee is back.............

Stumpy Tim

I cannot believe anyone would even ask this question. Australia are the number ONE team in the world. They've just beaten the number two team (South Africa) in their own backyard. They battered us in the first test, and we battered them in the second.

It's a cracking series so far. It will never be as good as 2005 as back then England were the number two team in the world and the quality on offer was unbelievable. This time both teams are slightly weaker, but it's still entertaining

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
I cannot believe anyone would even ask this question. Australia are the number ONE team in the world. They've just beaten the number two team (South Africa) in their own backyard. They battered us in the first test, and we battered them in the second.

It's a cracking series so far. It will never be as good as 2005 as back then England were the number two team in the world and the quality on offer was unbelievable. This time both teams are slightly weaker, but it's still entertaining

And play starts at 8pm! :drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I can't believe that 15 people have voted that they are the worst. As others have pointed out, the 1985 team was terrible (and the 78/79 team was even worst but as that was virtually the second XI, that was fair enough). The 1968 one was no great shakes either.

And those are just in my lifetime...I'm sure there have been other shocking teams. This one has a great batting line-up, just poor bowlers, but it's still a useful outfit.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Maybe it was an uneven playing field as their so called best players were playing in the WSC "Cricket Circus", but the Aussie team from the era 1977 to 80 was REALLY bad. So bad that an average England team walloped the Aussie's 5-1 during the Ashes tour of 79-80.

The laughable running between the wickets of opening pair Hillditch & Darling that ALWAYS ended in a run out, the Comedy wicket keeping of John McLean, the lightweight bowling attack (Rodney Hogg excepted) that wouldn't have even bothered me too much had I had to face it - Yes, those were very happy days to be a Brit living in Australia. :lolol:

Normal service was resumed the following year in 1980 though, with the reunification of the Australian team. England sadly lost a three match test series 3-0. The Aussie's toured the UK the following year with their big guns back in the team, arrogantly expecting to walk the series. They lost the series 3-0 in what was to become known as "Bothams ashes".

Yet again, it was a happy time to be a Brit in Australia. :lolol:

But that was then WSC under Packer pinched all the best players, wasn't it? Lillee, Swampy, and the rest played for bucks. They came back though for the 1981 Ashes I think.

Aren't we forgetting that the present lot are without Brett Lee, who was undoubtedly their fastest bowler in the squad, and considered heir to McDermott/McGrath etc? If he's back for the Third Test things will even out.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Quite a read but I did laugh at the bit about Hayden`s missus.

Symonds was set to play in Australia's August 2008 opening game in Darwin, but instead headed back to Queensland after missing the team meeting on the Friday while out fishing. Stand-in captain Michael Clarke told the media that Symonds would have to re-evaluate his desire to represent Australia: "The main concern from us is Andrew's commitment, to playing for this team and, in my opinion and I know the rest of the leadership team's opinion, you need to be committed 100 per cent."[29]

He was also not selected for the Australian tour to India in October 2008, as further punishment for his misadventure. After Australia's two-nil series loss, however, he quickly become an integral part of its future plans and was selected to play the Test Series against New Zealand in November.[30] He did not play any significant role in the First Test, which Australia won, but at the end of the Test, on 22 November, was involved in an incident in a Brisbane pub and reported to have been involved in a brawl with another patron who had attempted to hug and have his photo taken with the cricketer. He was subsequently cleared by Cricket Australia to play in the Second Test.[31]

He then played in the first two Tests of the next series against South Africa but performed poorly and was omitted from the team for the Third Test due to injury; at the same time, many critics called for his omission on performance grounds.

In January 2009, Symonds gave an interview with sports comedians Roy & HG, in which he made remarks about the acquisition of New Zealand cricketer Brendon McCullum by the New South Wales Blues to play in KFC Twenty20 final against Victoria, despite McCullum's not having played at all for the Blues previously. Sounding intoxicated, Symonds called McCullum a "lump of shit", and declared that having dinner at the home of team-mate Matthew Hayden was enjoyable because he could glance at Hayden's wife. He was charged by Cricket Australia with violating its code of conduct and was fined, following a hearing over the 25-minute interview with Cricket Australia chief Michael Brown. As a result he was also barred from selection for a period until he was deemed to have been successfully rehabilitated.[32

Wasn't this the bloke who years ago ECCB tried to get qualified for England???

Makes Pietersen's problems look like diddly-squat:nono:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wasn't this the bloke who years ago ECCB tried to get qualified for England???

Makes Pietersen's problems look like diddly-squat:nono:

It wasn't a question of them trying to - he did qualify as he was born here (well, in Birmingham anyway). It was up to Symonds as to whether he wanted to be an Aussie or a Brit and he chose Aussie (and obviously, at test level, once you've made your choice, there's no going back).

Interestingly, the other two people I can remember being offered the choice (having been born in the UK and brought up in Oz) both chose England. Or maybe Pattinson and McCague didn't think they'd get a sniff of the test team.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think part of the problem is that the thread starter asked one question in the thread title and another in the poll.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Did anyone hear Jason Gillespie say 'Bollocks' on Five Live on Saturday when someone was slagging off Mitchell Johnson?

Interestingly, the other two people I can remember being offered the choice (having been born in the UK and brought up in Oz) both chose England. Or maybe Pattinson and McCague didn't think they'd get a sniff of the test team.

Was Pattinson the one that played against the Saffers last year? I thought with him the entire point of coming over here was to play for England because he was nowhere near the Aussie side.

Did anyone hear Jason Gillespie say 'Bollocks' on Five Live on Saturday when someone was slagging off Mitchell Johnson?

No, but I did hear about half an hour of that show. I thought it was great, he certainly wasn't backwards in disagreeing with the callers!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was Pattinson the one that played against the Saffers last year? I thought with him the entire point of coming over here was to play for England because he was nowhere near the Aussie side.

That's the feller - that's why I was being sarcastic about him choosing England. I don't think it's fair to say that he came over to play for England though, I think he just fancied trying his luck in county cricket. I bet he was as surprised as anyone when he got picked for the test team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still can't believe the ECB selected him to be honest. Fair enough, no where near the Aussie side, but nobody here had even heard of him. What that did for team morale when he was brought into the squad is anybody's guess.

And of course, he turned out to be shit, and then didn't get a chance to redeem himself. A truly WEIRD episode.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Is there an egg on face smillie?

Hello, thread starter here :).

The purpose of the thread was to create a little debate which it did. But I haven't changed my view just yet, I still think that this Aussie side is there for the taking. The problem is our proven ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and I will repeat again, this is not a good England side either.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Is there an egg on face smillie?

I'm sure we can find one for you :D

Sorry El Pres, had to be done didn't it! :lol:

Actually I agree they are not the worst Aussie side, just two average test sides and the series could have gone either way.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Certainly no where near the greatest, but we are a cricketing factory, give us a while and it will come together again, we will make sure of that..

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Just thought I would:bounce:this thread to guage views now. We have moved on a year and in that time the England team has developed a great confidence in their ability while, for me, that of the Aussies has disintigrated. On current form they don't have ONE player who would walk into our team. Johnson, possibly, maybe Hussey.

So, is this NOW the worst Aussie side EVER???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here