Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the worst Albion team...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
...since we moved to the Amex?

Not on a wind-up or moaning, generally questioning how capable our current squad is vs our recent previous squads?

No.

We all know that we need a left back, and the strikers are woefully short, so possibly 2 more needed there.

Unfair to judge until 1st September, really.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Impossible to say, as you know.

What are you driving at? You think we're going down?

Just don't seem as confident this time around.
I don't think for a second that we're relegation bound by any stretch.
However, I do believe we may have a very difficult start to the season with our current squad and then play catch-up from January '15.

We'll see.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
First Amex Season compared with now:

Ankergran / Ankergran
Brez / Stockdale

Painter / Chicksen
Greer / Greer
Dunk / Dunk
Adam / Hughes
Calderon / Calderon
Vincelot / Bruno

Bridcutt / Ince
Navarro / Crofts
Dicker / JFC
Sparrow / Toko
Harley / Kemy

Buckley / Buckley
LuaLua / LuaLua
Noone / March

Barnes / O'Grady
CMS / CMS
Hoskins / Goodwin

Considering the transfer window hasn't finished, I'd take our squad now. We're only one quality LB, CF and creative midfielder away from challenging the top 8 again.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
First Amex Season compared with now:

Ankergran / Ankergran
Brez / Stockdale

Painter / Chicksen
Greer / Greer
Dunk / Dunk
Adam / Hughes
Calderon / Calderon
Vincelot / Bruno

Bridcutt / Ince
Navarro / Crofts
Dicker / JFC
Sparrow / Toko
Harley / Kemy

Buckley / Buckley
LuaLua / LuaLua
Noone / March

Barnes / O'Grady
CMS / CMS
Hoskins / Goodwin

Considering the transfer window hasn't finished, I'd take our squad now. We're only one quality LB, CF and creative midfielder away from challenging the top 8 again.

You're comparing a League One side to our current Championship side, and in all honesty, it doesn't look too dissimilar.
Maybe the 10m (+?) in the transfer kitty will help.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You're comparing a League One side to our current Championship side, and in all honesty, it doesn't look too dissimilar.
Maybe the 10m (+?) in the transfer kitty will help.

No. That was our Championship team for 2011/12. Seven of those players, plus many extra on loan during the season, didn't even feature in the L1 campaign of 10/11.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If this is our starting squad on August 9th it is a close run thing. I think the premier league experience of some players would give this lot the edge over the AMEX opening XI, but we are woefully weak at LB, we haven't got a 15-20 goal striker and we need another creative head in the front 4 to challenge for the top half.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
If this is our starting squad on August 9th it is a close run thing. I think the premier league experience of some players would give this lot the edge over the AMEX opening XI, but we are woefully weak at LB, we haven't got a 15-20 goal striker and we need another creative head in the front 4 to challenge for the top half.

Haven't got one 15-20 goal striker? That's harsh on O'Grady and CMS, because they've both scored 15+ championship goals in a season. Agree that we need more players though. We need (at AT LEAST) a quality LB, a creative midfielder and another striker.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What a joke of a thread. We lose a pre season match to a Premier League and this is genuinely a thread. Seriously?

Score line aside, the question was possibly prompted by the nature of the loss, we got schooled by a team that has just lost 5 key players. Doesn't appear to be much shape or purpose to our play yet.

As a side note, perhaps try to not take every post that might be slightly derogatory to heart.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Haven't got one 15-20 goal striker? That's harsh on O'Grady and CMS, because they've both scored 15+ championship goals in a season. Agree that we need more players though. We need (at AT LEAST) a quality LB, a creative midfielder and another striker.

When did CMS score 15+ league goals in the Championship?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Score line aside, the question was possibly prompted by the nature of the loss, we got schooled by a team that has just lost 5 key players. Doesn't appear to be much shape or purpose to our play yet.

As a side note, perhaps try to not take every post that might be slightly derogatory to heart.

Sorry, I'm not sure where I took it to heart. Are you seriously defending this thread? It's a joke. Based on a pre season friendly, he is saying that we have the worst team that we have had since the Amex.

As for them losing a lot of players, they've still got a very good side. Certainly better than Championship teams. We may or may not have a weaker team than we've had before at this level but tonight will have neither proved or disproved that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here