Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the most boring D-Day ever, from our point of view?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
And to think some (Husty mainly) we're suggesting the budget is as big as last yr. It really isn't as it stands. Nowhere near.

I've got no doubts that it is but we don't know how much of it was already being used on the current squad? If for instance Gus Poyet took last years budget up to the max then we've only got the wages spare from players we released and it wouldn't have taken long to use that up with the players we've signed. Personally I think we've still got some left in the kitty but it's no good blowing it all too early in the season when we've still got the loan window and another transfer window to go yet.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The only problem with waiting for the loan window to open is that an signing is for a max of 93 days only, I.e. first week in December - season long loans are not possible once the transfer window closes.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And to think some (Husty mainly) we're suggesting the budget is as big as last yr. It really isn't as it stands. Nowhere near.

The way I see it. If we have the same squad, as last year on the same contracts and the ones that have left have been replaced. Then saying the budget is the same as last season is factually correct. We would only have money to spend if the budget was bigger surely??? Same amount going out on wages etc = same budget.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Tell me, six games in and who apart from Ulloa & Crofts has scored a goal from all these players you mention??? We have plenty of players who squander chances, i'll give you that.

i never mentioned any names, so how you came to 'all' quite frankly baffles me. However you do like to mis quote to suit your own agenda, so perhaps i shouldnt be surprised. However, i shall respond: if we spent a fortune, or any amount of money for that matter, on a proven striker, there is no guarantee he would fit in with the team and provide the immediate goals you apparently so desperately require. Fernando Torres for Chelsea to name a precedent. Prolific for Liverpool, took ages to settle at Chelsea. No doubt after a month of the new expensive star striker failing to find the net, you would be the first poster on here questioning why he was bought and how useless the entire maagement team, squad, ground staff and secretaries are! Now once again, bore off!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
i never mentioned any names, so how you came to 'all' quite frankly baffles me. However you do like to mis quote to suit your own agenda, so perhaps i shouldnt be surprised. However, i shall respond: if we spent a fortune, or any amount of money for that matter, on a proven striker, there is no guarantee he would fit in with the team and provide the immediate goals you apparently so desperately require. Fernando Torres for Chelsea to name a precedent. Prolific for Liverpool, took ages to settle at Chelsea. No doubt after a month of the new expensive star striker failing to find the net, you would be the first poster on here questioning why he was bought and how useless the entire maagement team, squad, ground staff and secretaries are! Now once again, bore off!

You were clearly sleeping for the last year Torres was at Liverpool.And please tell me who I have slagged off apart from Poyet, who as it turns out, I was spot on about for ages. Clearly a lucky guess.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
You were clearly sleeping for the last year Torres was at Chelsea.And please tell me who I have slagged off apart from Poyet, who as it turns out, I was spot on about for ages. Clearly a lucky guess.

what part of 'provide the IMMEDIATE goals' and 'took ages to settle at chelsea' did you not understand?!

a broken clock is right twice a day. and you were right, how useless he was getting us to our highest league finish for ages.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
what part of 'provide the IMMEDIATE goals' and 'took ages to settle at chelsea' did you not understand?!

a broken clock is right twice a day. and you were right, how useless he was getting us to our highest league finish for ages.

It's been done to death. Any manager worth his salt could have done what Poyet did with what he spent......oh don't tell me, you believed all his old crap about not having the money etc etc.....Poyet was a serial bullshitter.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
or we just haven't found the right players....there's no rule saying we have to spend every penny of our budget....we might have loads left

Hence I said 'as it stands'. Of course we could be saving a lot for some big name loans or Jan signings. I doubt it personally tho. The other thread I'm talking about I said 'at the moment the budget (being used) is nothing like it was last yr'. People were suggesting we were using the same budget. I think most forget Dobbie, Vicente, Bridge & Ulloa and Crofts fees. As it stands we've fed not replaced that expenditure.

I'm sorry but it wasn't some posters, it was actually Paul Barber who said this.

Yes this was a thread where I said as it stands Barber seems to be telling porkys...

I've got no doubts that it is but we don't know how much of it was already being used on the current squad? If for instance Gus Poyet took last years budget up to the max then we've only got the wages spare from players we released and it wouldn't have taken long to use that up with the players we've signed. Personally I think we've still got some left in the kitty but it's no good blowing it all too early in the season when we've still got the loan window and another transfer window to go yet.

yeh of course we don't know for sure. See above tho. I'd be stunned if we're paying the same for Ward as we did Bridge. The same for Andrews as we were Vicente for example... let alone the 2mil Ulloa fee we paid....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Some reasons to get the new striker

Ulloa - The worry that our talisman gets injured
CMS - Still out - and with the injury he's had, how will he be on his return
Ash - Unpredictable, in honesty, where we want to be, he's a squad player at best
Solly - Too young, get him out on loan to a L2 side to gain some matches

The answer is staring us in the face down the coast - SIGN BILLY SHARP AT ALL COSTS!!!

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Has it escaped everyone's notice that missed chances and the lack of another option up front is a real issue. If we lose against Reading it will be 7 pts from 6 games, which is relegation form and then Qpr to come next.
Half empty or half full.... boy you are a misery

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
It's been done to death. Any manager worth his salt could have done what Poyet did with what he spent......oh don't tell me, you believed all his old crap about not having the money etc etc.....Poyet was a serial bullshitter.

no apology for failing to read my post properly and then attempting to belittle my argument then?

and as for poyet, we will never actually know for certain if another manager could have done. Its impossible to say. All we know, is that he did, and for that i say well done that man.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wind your Necks in children

In answer to the op, yes..yes it is. Most teams seem to be doing business and palace are spunking cash like they are in the premiership....oh hang on, they are!

I DEMAND as a supporter for over 40 years to see some of my hard earned money that I have given to the club over the years spent on some Spanish whizz kid. Or failing that, some over the hill German striker or Swedish winger....anything...just anything really.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
no apology for failing to read my post properly and then attempting to belittle my argument then?

and as for poyet, we will never actually know for certain if another manager could have done. Its impossible to say. All we know, is that he did, and for that i say well done that man.

Kev knows best. Never mind his arguments are so filled with contradictions that he is occasionally in danger of agreeing with himself.

He was right once, you know. Can't remember what it was about, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here