Is this the greatest indie album of the last century?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Five+Thirty+-+Bed+-+LP+RECORD-68500.jpg

Anyone get involved with this Album? Loved this one for a long time, Still sounds good now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hold on - we've just had a conversation off line where YOU decided Happy Mondays were NOT indie. Everyone else privvy to that conversation thought you were a mentalist. FFS!

Unfair.

That conversation has drifted. I said that I wouldn't consider them in MY personal 'Indie' pigeon hole, and that in the PERSONAL pigeon holes of my mind, they were sorted in their own seperate Baggy / Madchester genre with the Inspiral Carpets, etc. For purposes of THIS discussion they are as valid as the other nominations of Nirvana, etc.

But to refer to The Fall as NOT indie IS mental.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brilliant call.
This thread is an absolute joy, not just for the debate but for it's ability to recall different parts of my life!

And that call is case in point. I remember listening to that Butthole Surfers album regularly when I was living with a bunch of guys and girls in Canada in the early 90s. If I'm honest, I didn't get on with it but I can see why others did.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure if they count as indie but The National really should at least get a mention. Alligator and Boxer are SUPREME albums.

national+alligator.jpg

the-national-boxer.jpg

4113-turn-on-the-bright-lights.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Aye, possibly. But it was comparitive popularity I was talking about, not whether FT is any good or not...

I knew that, just couldn't resist a dig. Do not understand what the fuss is about. Most successful music, regardless of whether I like it or not, I can understand why people do. Frank Turner, I am genuinely at a loss with.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I knew that, just couldn't resist a dig. Do not understand what the fuss is about. Most successful music, regardless of whether I like it or not, I can understand why people do. Frank Turner, I am genuinely at a loss with.

Same for me when it comes to The Pixies. Very average band for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I know, I know. I feel like I SHOULD like them. His voice is horrible, the dynamics of the music (LOUD quiet LOUD quiet) I find very dull. I like bands that are similar(ish) as well, like Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine and a few others.

I also think Sonic Youth are MASSIVELY overrated too, so this might explain it a bit more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I know, I know. I feel like I SHOULD like them. His voice is horrible, the dynamics of the music (LOUD quiet LOUD quiet) I find very dull. I like bands that are similar(ish) as well, like Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine and a few others.

I also think Sonic Youth are MASSIVELY overrated too, so this might explain it a bit more.

The pixies never did it for me either, but then Nirvana never really set the world alight for me. Loved Sonic Youth though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Each to their own on that score i think. I have listened to it consistently for nearly 25 years and it have never sounded monotonous to me. Maybe my ears were a little young at the time but to me it sounded like so many things but at the same time it was brand spanking and sparkling new.

Undoubtedly much to do with the time and place in my life that it was released but it remains my favourite album of all time.

Hey fella I was smack in the middle of it living in Manchester as a student at the time, admittedly my first love was Psychobilly, but the Roses were played in the same clubs and other bands and I love the album I agree with you to a point apart from the brand spanking new they sounded very much like the Bugs and other garage bands flirting with a new sound.

No doubt though a good album, but not the best

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hey fella I was smack in the middle of it living in Manchester as a student at the time, admittedly my first love was Psychobilly, but the Roses were played in the same clubs and other bands and I love the album I agree with you to a point apart from the brand spanking new they sounded very much like the Bugs and other garage bands flirting with a new sound.

No doubt though a good album, but not the best

Fair point you sound like you had far more music knowledge than me. I was still at school without much knowledge of independent music. The Roses were really a first glimpse of that world for me. Although retrospectively i heard the influences. Thinking Primal Scream had ripped them off the checking the release date of Sonic Flower Groove was a particular eye opener. But like i say it came into my life at the perfect time and opened so many doors for me that it is not possible for me to be objective about them. This is why I don't call it the best but it is certainly my favourite. Exciting times, you were lucky to be amongst it in Manchester.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Ah Giant Steps. And Lazarus in particular - probably my favourite indie anthem EVER. Unbelievably good track.

Lazarus was an epic anthem and still one I can listen to now.

Reminded me of another great one too.

Weekender by Flowered Up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports