Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the greatest indie album of the last century?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Funny that - I've justed this minute come off line from booking tickets to see Editors at the Dome on 6th Nov. Actually it was this good old indy thread that convinced me to book them - got me in the mood for another gig. Haven't seen Editors live before but have heard they put on a good show...

Seen them 3 times and they most certainly do. I always like bands that put their back into a performance, and Tom Smith always does that.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Violator and The Stone Roses

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
Portishead_dummy_1999_retail_cd-front.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess it's stretching it a bit to include The Fall in the indie scene, but if we're including Jesus & The Mary Chain, Nirvana & Pavement then I reckon it's fair game. In which case, I'd like to nominate Infotainment Scan. A quite ridiculously good album:

220px-The_Infotainment_Scan.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I do like the album, however it was nothing new, the style and sound was all stolen from other bands from the early 80s and before, it also becomes monotonous after a while.

But what do I know

Each to their own on that score i think. I have listened to it consistently for nearly 25 years and it have never sounded monotonous to me. Maybe my ears were a little young at the time but to me it sounded like so many things but at the same time it was brand spanking and sparkling new.

Undoubtedly much to do with the time and place in my life that it was released but it remains my favourite album of all time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I guess it's stretching it a bit to include The Fall in the indie scene, but if we're including Jesus & The Mary Chain, Nirvana & Pavement then I reckon it's fair game. In which case, I'd like to nominate Infotainment Scan. A quite ridiculously good album:

220px-The_Infotainment_Scan.jpg

And very under-rated. Not my personal favourite Fall album but definately in my top 5.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are you mental, Sim? There is picture of Mark E Smith in the dictionary, next to the word 'Indie'.
Hold on - we've just had a conversation off line where YOU decided Happy Mondays were NOT indie. Everyone else privvy to that conversation thought you were a mentalist. FFS!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What a brilliant thread, certainly better than writing a noise survey report!

I know they were disparaged by some of the Music Press as the Do Badlys but I still play this a fair bit:

BoosEverything.jpg

and this one as well:
Giant_Steps_boo_radleys.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What a brilliant thread, certainly better than writing a noise survey report!

I know they were disparaged by some of the Music Press as the Do Badlys but I still play this a fair bit:

View attachment 46564

and this one as well:
View attachment 46566

Everything's Alright Forever was a great Album, they went a bit poppy after that and lost me a bit though. Although I do remember playing Wake Up Boo as the sun came up after a big night out on a fair few occasions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hold on - we've just had a conversation off line where YOU decided Happy Mondays were NOT indie. Everyone else privvy to that conversation thought you were a mentalist. FFS!

The Fall and Mondays are completely different though. The Fall are the definitive indie band. My favourite Fall albums would be Extricate or Marshall Suite. They're consistently very very good but not quite world class IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here