Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Is this the cheapest way of running central heating? Can't find an answer on the internet

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
If I turned off all the rads in my home except the one in the room I'm in - with the thermostat next to me - would this be the cheapest way to run central heating?

The internet has mixed views about this - what does NSC think?

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
If I turned off all the rads in my home except the one in the room I'm in - with the thermostat next to me - would this be the cheapest way to run central heating?

The internet has mixed views about this - what does NSC think?
I suppose your not heating so much water ,must be cheaper in my view,but im no expert.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Surely some / lots of the heat from the boiler would be lost from the pipework around the house, even with the other radiators turned off? I’d be surprised if this was an efficient solution.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Surely some / lots of the heat from the boiler would be lost from the pipework around the house, even with the other radiators turned off? I’d be surprised if this was an efficient solution.

I would have thought that as the water isn't motive that it would prevent loss of heat, as opposed to the water flowing throughout the house?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure I read on Octopus or BBC or somewhere this is the best way. Makes sense, why heat a room that your not in?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would have thought that as the water isn't motive that it would prevent loss of heat, as opposed to the water flowing throughout the house?
water goes round in a circuit, one rad to the next. each themostat controls water coming off the circuit into that radiator. yes all the pipework would be heated, but also yes it's probably the cheapest way to run the heating. plus a wooly jumper.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
water goes round in a circuit, one rad to the next. each themostat controls water coming off the circuit into that radiator. yes all the pipework would be heated,
Not always, it depends on the type of heating system and how the pipe work is run around the property.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Might be the cheapest - but it is then hardly, by definition, 'central heating' is it?

I guess the proper question would be 'Is it cheaper to run central heating for just one radiator - or to have an electric powered oil-filled radiator (or similar)?'

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Probably, but the rest of your house will be cold, damp and mouldy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread is useless without a poll.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I gave up on this question last winter due to the conflicting advice.

One view is to only heat the rooms you need to heat, turning off the radiators in the others. This logically makes sense to me since the water is still as warm as possible when it returns to the boiler, hence requires less energy to get it hot enough to send back around again.

But, for boilers like ours - a condensing (not combi) boiler - it seems that you want the water to be cool when it returns to the boiler, in order to facilitate condensing which is how the boiler works efficiently. I admit I have no idea how this works as it just seems completely illogical!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I gave up on this question last winter due to the conflicting advice.

One view is to only heat the rooms you need to heat, turning off the radiators in the others. This logically makes sense to me since the water is still as warm as possible when it returns to the boiler, hence requires less energy to get it hot enough to send back around again.

But, for boilers like ours - a condensing (not combi) boiler - it seems that you want the water to be cool when it returns to the boiler, in order to facilitate condensing which is how the boiler works efficiently. I admit I have no idea how this works as it just seems completely illogical!
All (modern) combi boilers are condensing boilers. I think?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
All (modern) combi boilers are condensing boilers. I think?
Correct but he’s saying he’s got a condensing boiler that isn’t a combi.
I have a condensing boiler that’s not a combi, it’s a system boiler. (Similar to a combi but connected to an unvented hot water cylinder)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I saved a FORTUNE in heating oil during last December’s cold snap by turning off the heating and toughing it out.

Imagine how I laughed when the house got so cold that the pipes in my loft froze then burst at 1am and flooded half the house and f***ed the electrics.

“Oh, you silly old sausage,” I thought to myself as the dining room ceiling collapsed.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
to save it getting damp??

I think that’s very much the argument against doing it. If the property is well ventilated and doesn’t suffer from any damp issues then just having the one rad on might make sense.

If after a few days/weeks/months you’re noticing mould forming (often near/around the windows where there’s condensation occurring) then I would be taking the economic hit and not allowing mould to spread, it can can cause or exacerbate respiratory issues etc.

If mould does appear, a bleach solution followed by drying the affected area is (I believe) best, but get the heating back on in the affected rooms sharpish.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I saved a FORTUNE in heating oil during last December’s cold snap by turning off the heating and toughing it out.

Imagine how I laughed when the house got so cold that the pipes in my loft froze then burst at 1am and flooded half the house and f***ed the electrics.

“Oh, you silly old sausage,” I thought to myself as the dining room ceiling collapsed.

Sorry to hear that, hope you were covered and have been able to get things back into shape. Water seems to be to be the ultimate destroyer, because you can’t immediately replace things, you have to wait for all the affected areas to fully dry out before you can do any remedial work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here