Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the best time to be alive?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I reckon the year 3036 is going to be pretty decent.

I'm sure things will get better. You never know, we might even live like the Babylonians again.

PS everything of now is better, nothing beats the present time. The future and the past, are basically states of mind. Now is the only thing that you can touch, see, experience etc. The now is the only time which truly exists. The past is still now. We never finished a period or era. We just changed in the now.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is this the best time to be alive?
You mean for a Brit, a westerner, a Syrian?

For us Brits, yes.

Can it get better or is it only downhill from now on?
Well if we don't have another world war, or natural disaster etc, yes, of course. People will live longer still (and I don't just mean the old, I mean less people will die young), technology will continue to advance etc.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But no internet.
Low cancer cure rates and much lower life expectancy. I'd take now over then.

You are still gonna die someday. It is about quality of life, and the baby boomers have probably had the best compromise possible.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
You never saw a paper at the football!? Never anyone on a radio checking scores instead of paying
attention to the game?
Why do past generations slag of the current ones for daring to do things differently? It makes them, ironically, sound like precious snowflakes.

But it's ok for you to slag of past generations because you haven't got what they had?
Just concentrate on what you DO have rather than what you haven't, you might find life a whole lot better!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Technology just keeps getting better in advancing people's lifestyle.
We are living longer than ever before.
The internet means world knowledge is better than ever before.
And we haven't had a world war for 71 years.

Apart from the internet, surely there have been plenty of times in the past when the other criteria have applied (mostly more than the 71 years you refer to).

Technology has always been improving lives right from discovering fire and the invention of the wheel. Life expectancy has probably always been going up. The only thing that is really different is the internet and that has a host of pros and cons. People have access to far more information yet many seem to ignore this and only use the trivial benefits it brings.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
undoubtedly the 60's the whole of them
not very technical but lots of fun and good mates

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think life getting better in UK however the world is been an unhappy place in many parts no respect for others who are not of the same group religion nation or tribe party.
How ever win the championship and cheer up all the Albion fans and TB

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I yearn for the days before speed cameras and online credit checks.

And of having 2 post deliveries per day.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
From Peter Ward's debut at Hereford until about two minutes from the end of extra time in the 1983 FA Cup Final. Everything went downhill after that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Being aged 63, I think now is the worst time to be alive in my lifetime. There may not have been a world war for 71 years, but there is plenty of conflict going on in the world right now. And the technology means we are all well aware of it - Syria in our living rooms every night.

And there is far too much hate around at the moment - Trump vs Clinton, Trump vs everybody else, Remain vs Brexit, the rise of far-right politics, growing racism, increasing homelessness and rough sleeping, record "business" for food banks.

And it's getting worse day by day. On a personal basis, I am OK at the moment. On a world-wide basis, forget it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It sounds harsh but ignorance = bliss

I'd suggest that before social media or even the proliferation of TV channels we were all a lot more unaware of what was happening throughout the world, or even on our own doorstep. It also meant that commerce didn't intrude as much. Kids definitely experience a lot of pressure through things like social media and the lack of privacy doesn't seem great to me.

It's great that in the modern age we have access to so much more, from medical advances to travel opportunities and the connectivity provided by technology has loads of advantages. However it's definitely easier to be angry/grumpy/pissed off/aggrieved/upset/frustrated etc with the state of affairs in the modern world and that's down to tech.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From Peter Ward's debut at Hereford until about two minutes from the end of extra time in the 1983 FA Cup Final. Everything went downhill after that.

Until 1997 and its been up up up ever since. More people watch the Albion every home game than any time in our history

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was OK up til about 2006. Since then there has been a continual slide in quality of life I think. The current generation are predicted to be the first to be financially worse off than their predecessors.
A teacher friend in Brighton has told me that her school is seriously considering moving to a four day week as their funding is drying up... Apparently WSCC are looking on in interest as they have a funding crisis too.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
“Best” is a relative term.

With the world knowledge that we have via the access to the internet, you could say it’s the best time to be alive, you could ALSO say it’s the most apathetic, most self motivated, most self centred time to be alive. Terrible things have always happened in society, but now we’re supposedly more civilised, better educated and yet we (I mean collectively I’m not pointing a finger at individuals) stand by and let them happen even though we have the means to stop them.

- More people in the world have access to a mobile phone than clean drinking water.
- 1% of the world’s population own more than the other 99%.
- Treatable diseases like diarrhoea and pneumonia kill 2 million children a year because they’re too poor to get treatment.
- A quarter of humans live with out electricity.
- The world food programme estimates that hunger is the number one cause of death, killing more than HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis.

The truth is none of these things should surprise anyone, I’m sure you’ve heard all of those things before. Some people choose to not to believe them, and some choose to ignore them. Very few actually choose to do anything about it.

In this time that we live, it’s very easy to learn about the world around us, but sadly it’s far easier not to give a damn about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You've been to Orlando enough times that you've probably ridden Carousel of Progress at least once. Each of those four scenes is, essentially, people saying "It can't get any better than this" and then you move forward and it has.

In fact, here are the closing words to one of those scenes: "Well, as I was saying, considering all the conveniences we now have, I'd say that we're really on easy street these days. It just can't get any better!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here