Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the best start to a Championship Season so far?

Is this our best start to a Championship season so far?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • About the same as last year?

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Correct, so taking this into account, how the hell can this season be our best ever start?

Strangely, this season I feel like we are a proper Championship club, over the last couple of seasons I've felt we were punching above our weight quite a bit of the time. Now I actually expect us to beat teams or be able to contain them. But then I do think that this is the best squad we've had for many a year, hence my optimism I guess. Even though we are not as well placed as this time last year, I feel we are a better team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Under Gus we'd win 4/5 in a row, then not win for 6, then go unbeaten in 5, etc etc.
I think we'll be much more steady under Oscar. Win and a good performance on sat would mean its been a good start to the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Under Gus we'd win 4/5 in a row,.

Have we actually EVER done that in the Championship? Maybe that's what we did after last season's defeat at Hull?

My memory is of a couple of wins, a couple of draws then maybe another win when we were doing well, not winning up to 5 games on the spin.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's interesting that this thread has started - I think most of us realise we started off badly, slowly recovered and have been pleased with the last two performances and results.

But looking at the positional graph that Acker produced a couple of days ago, it seems the league positions only become relatively settled at the end of October. By then we'll have played some shit sides like Bolton, Yeovil and Sheff Wed as wells as some of the handy sides we've already played as well as Forest/Watford (h) and Ipswich (a).

So I'm not judging our performances for another 5 or 6 weeks, when hopefully we'll be closer to full strength anyhow.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think the key at the moment is home form. It's been rubbish this season (performances and results) we need to improve that drastically and make Amex a fortress.

Early doors

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Think you are being a bit blinkered.

We weren't great against Derby & useless against Millwall. At Reading a point was fair & QPR a draw at best.
8 or 9 points is about right.

Lots of confidence for Saturday.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?287114-BHA-V-Bolton-Score-Predictor

Agree Millwall useless for majority of the game no pattern or urgency - although last 10 -15 minutes plenty of chances for a outright win with the number of opportunities. As I said they (Millwall) defended very well like we did last night v QPR.

Re Derby - Yes They broke well and looked dangerous breaking in numbers although not many clear cut chances - and the two they had - scored two goals - for me a draw at the very least.

Best team played re quality football QPR

Opinions Opinions

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have we actually EVER done that in the Championship? Maybe that's what we did after last season's defeat at Hull?

My memory is of a couple of wins, a couple of draws then maybe another win when we were doing well, not winning up to 5 games on the spin.

You can check the last four years results on the club website using the drop down menu under the Fixtures tab. Yes, we did win 5 games in a row, Barnsley, Burnley, Sheff Wed, Watford & Millwall.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I voted yes. Not because it statistically is, but because it feels like a realistic start to the season.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
So, we achieved something yesterday that we haven't for over two years, could that have happened last year, I think not?

We have gear changes, plan B, play at a faster pace and a belief.

There is less euphoria than in either of the last two seasons but considering who we have played, the question is worth asking again. I wasn't sure when I posed the question but taking things in the whole, I now think it could be the best start to a Championship Season but compare it again in early December and then we will truly know

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The two draws against Reading and QPR plus the demolition of Burnley point to the start being quite good. Leeds and Derby could have been so different but no matter. Next week away at Notlob will be a bellwether and serious pointer to how we will do later in the season. Historically we haven't done very well at Ipswich so if OG can get three points, it will be very impressive. Especially with a limited forward line.

My three leading positives for the season so far are:

Rohan Ince
Jake Forster-Caskey
Solly March

home grown....... like it.

TNBA

TTF

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The two draws against Reading and QPR plus the demolition of Burnley point to the start being quite good. Leeds and Derby could have been so different but no matter. Next week away at Notlob will be a bellwether and serious pointer to how we will do later in the season. Historically we haven't done very well at Ipswich so if OG can get three points, it will be very impressive. Especially with a limited forward line.

Rohan Ince
Jake Forster-Caskey
Solly March

TNBA

TTF

Rohan Ince yes, (mightily effective yesterday l thought). Jake l'm not so sure about, this will be a pivotal season for him as to whether or not he will make the grade with us, and Solly March far too early to tell.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
No, we've had better starts. Not that I'm unhappy with our performance so far, but we are maybe a little slow of the mark this season. Still room for improvement.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Take out the first 2 games - Leeds and Derby - and we are now averaging 2 points a game, which is the measure for promotion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Rohan Ince
Jake Forster-Caskey
Solly March

TNBA

TTF

We beat Ipswich last season comprehensively. I hope we do the same again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
After the first 3 games it feels like a good start. Our expectations were lowered so I think this season will be the best supporting the Albion ever .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So, we achieved something yesterday that we haven't for over two years, could that have happened last year, I think not?

We have gear changes, plan B, play at a faster pace and a belief.

There is less euphoria than in either of the last two seasons but considering who we have played, the question is worth asking again. I wasn't sure when I posed the question but taking things in the whole, I now think it could be the best start to a Championship Season but compare it again in early December and then we will truly know

We couldn't come from behind to win under Gus because he was too inflexible. He believed so much in his game-plan that he refused to believe it wouldn't work. He was reactive and often left it too late to try and recover games.
Oscar knows it can take 30 mins to turn a game round and doesn't hesitate to make changes. He is flexible and thinks on his feet.
We now have a better manager who will achieve more. Just give him time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We couldn't come from behind to win under Gus because he was too inflexible.
Statistics produce stupid anomalies like that. Did we go a goal down at home to team as bad as Bolton last season? We finished 4th in the Championship, which was bloody impressive. And our squad now is better than it was this time last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here