Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this semi final the biggest game of your Albion-supporting life?

Biggest game of your BHA-supporting lifetime?

• Total voters

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hereford easily for me and I go back to the mid 50s supporting The Albion. '83 Cup Final was big but going to Hereford feeling that unless we stayed up we'd have no more Albion, it could not have been bigger and thankfully no other game will be as big for the club.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Hereford > FA Cup Final > 91 Play-Off Final > This one....

For me it felt like Hereford could mark the end of everything and there would be no coming back if we lost. IF we beat Palace, the 2013 play-off final will definitely take a step or two up the ladder of importance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To paraphrase a statement in 'Build A Bonfire', even if we win the Champions League, nothing will ever be as big as the Hereford game.
What if we win a CL Final, where losing would mean we went out of business?
Just because it says that in BAB, doesn't mean it's true. We could have gone under, but we might have stayed afloat and risen back up the leagues, like other clubs have - it's impossible to be sure. I suspect winning the CL would be bigger (ie, I guess we'd have survived).

Hereford > '83 > this one > 91 final

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In summary:
1 - Hereford
2 - 83 Cup Final + Replay (if these two legs count as one game so do they)
3 - Newcastle '79
4 - 91 Play-off Final
5 - 13 Play-off semi-finals.

Christ, it makes me even more nervous grouping it with those, even if it is only number 5...
People seem to forget the semi final against :lolol: when talking about big games. That was huge, we took 25,000+ to North London and a cup final place was at stake in the days when reaching the cup final was a MASSIVE deal.

I don't think younger people realise how big the FA Cup was back in the early 80s. Seriously, winning the cup really was almost as big as winning the league back then.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Won't be the end of the world if we lose against Palace whilst it would have been if we had lost against Hereford. It's not really in the top 10 of important matches I've seen because if we lose I hope lessons are learnt and we bounce back and storm the Championship next season.

1/ Hereford
2/Doncaster 1997
3/FA Cup Final
4/FA Cup Final replay
5//FA Cup Semi Final
6/1991 Play off Final
7/1991 Play off Semi Final
8/Cardiff 2004
9/Newcastle1979
10/Leeds 1981
11/2004 Swindon play off
12/Forest 1979

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hereford for me. Staying in the football league when the club was at risk of going out of business was much more important than getting promoted when we're getting an average home gate of 26K and will probably be challenging again next year whatever happens.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just because it says that in BAB, doesn't mean it's true. We could have gone under, but we might have stayed afloat and risen back up the leagues, like other clubs have - it's impossible to be sure. I suspect winning the CL would be bigger (ie, I guess we'd have survived).

Of course it doesn't mean it's true. I was merely reflecting a contemporary opinion I agree with without 16 years of hindsight to call upon.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Other clubs haven't had to play their home games 75 miles away. We may have survived, but at the time I wouldn't have fancied our chances.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
People seem to forget the semi final against :lolol: when talking about big games. That was huge, we took 25,000+ to North London and a cup final place was at stake in the days when reaching the cup final was a MASSIVE deal.

True. Winning the cup may have been massive, but in terms of what it will mean for the Albion in the long term, would it have been bigger than promotion? It's not that I forgot it, rather that if we beat Palace then I would say the final is bigger than the 1983 FA Cup Final. Financially it's certainly true, but even that aside it could well be. Even if we had won the FA Cup, we would still have been relegated - this game decides whether or not we are in the top division which is MASSIVE.

Of course, I have contradicted myself a bit here because based on this then maybe I should put 1991 above 1983... (This is likely to be highly controversial, I know).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm inclined to think WINNING the playoffs might be but we win nothing apart from bragging rights and some dosh beating Palace if we then lose the final. As stated elsewhere losing at Hereford could have spelt the end but I'm not convinced it would have been. The play off final would be right up there for me and I can't decide if it would be bigger than Hereford, for me.

The Cup Final was sullied for me by the fact that we were already relegated regardless of what happened at Wembley, so much as I loved it it was not as big for me as some found it.

The Notts Count playoff final comes way down the list for me because I think we'd have just come straight back down, just like Nottx County did. We weren't a great team and the rot had set in.

Making the Premier League could set this club up for years if handled correctly as everything is in place to go forward this time.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Definateley my biggest set of Palace games,but nothing will ever come close to ground zero and Edgar Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here