Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this nature pressing the 'reset' button ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, at least 8000, although the figure generally alighted on is 12,000. Disappointingly for you, however, one of the key debates within the Stratigraphy sub-group that will likely soon have its proposal for the anthropocene ratified...

no disappointment to find we are in agreement.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No, as Mother Nature is a figment of human imagination.

No, the Chinese accidentally hit the self destruct button on the human race’ behalf having missed it on many thousands of previous occassions. The appalling hygiene in their wet markets mixed with live animals was a disaster waiting to happen.

Quite right nature doesn't and has never existed, I went for my daily walk through the park and I couldn't see any at all, unless it was staying indoors.
If only people would stop adding words like mother or father (time) it just confuses the hell out of people.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, at least 8000, although the figure generally alighted on is 12,000. Disappointingly for you, however, one of the key debates within the Stratigraphy sub-group that will likely soon have its proposal for the anthropocene ratified is precisely when its beginning will be designated (all geological eras/epochs/periods are). They have considered four:
-- the emergence of agriculture, that you point to
-- the rise of capitalism, and the first wave of globalisation, c1500
-- the industrial revolution, c1800
-- the post-war upturn in production and consumption, including the nuclear age, c1950
The proposal of the sub-group is to go with the third option. You'll note, however, that, beyond the first, capitalism is involved. With a bit of luck, mindless, indiscriminate growth and exploitation of resources will decline as a result of CV19 and, more importantly, the confirmation of the anthropocene. That doesn't spell the end of capitalism (which, in numerous sectors, is an efficient way to distribute resources and products, and generative of quality), but the neoliberalism that we've been too greatly subjected to over the past four decades, is simply incompatible with it.
As to your point about human nature, I note how you've qualified it but any insistence on pinning it down usually generates multiple problems.
With a bit if luck indeed. In my more optimistic moments I dare to hope that you are right herr. In my less optimistic moments I fear that nothing will be learned from this and the opportunity missed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Is this the big disease that will change our ways, or will there be a more lethal virus round the corner that will challenge man kinds dominance of the planet.
In some ways it will be a good thing for 95% of the species off Earth, and I accept I might be collateral damage to that end.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

No, the Chinese accidentally hit the self destruct button on the human race’ behalf having missed it on many thousands of previous occassions. The appalling hygiene in their wet markets mixed with live animals was a disaster waiting to happen.

Accidentally [emoji23]theirs me thinking they had this planned along with more to come .
The only reset button we need to push is China’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You cant say wet market im afraid. Its dog whistle or racist or something.

[tweet]1242633572609114112[/tweet]

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
D8AD7806-0E51-41EE-A1F3-61FD8D8A3BB8.jpeg

Does her Twitter address refer to what she wants in her sandwiches?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No worries. I'm sure you'll find some other people that find it funny to imagine that Asian-Americans eat cats.

If they don’t I’m sure they won’t make as big a meal out of it as you have, no pun intended.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No reset button for this thread, but happily there's an ignore button.

Although that joke was probably funnier in my head.

if humans hadn't evolved over the last 8000 years we would now be dead anyway - human progress in the last 2000 years particularly has pushed back the next ice age which was due about year 2000 based on a cycle of 7000 years switching from cold/hot. However, i thin Covid is a big wake up call that proves how difficult it is to fight mother nature. If the next virus is airborne the 7 billion on the planet will be wiped out completely inside 3 months never mind a million.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So nice at the moment, sitting in the garden and you notice the lack of plane noise and how quiet normally busy roads are.

Hope we learn from this but fear we won’t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here