[Humour] Is this joke offensive?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not if you do not know their names it isn’t :facepalm:

So your standard for defending casual racism is that a person attending a professional football match wouldn't know the names of the players, despite them being on a big screen, in the programme, on the club app, on multiple other apps under "lineups" and that the first time one of them did something good or bad, someone nearby would say "come on Weghorst" or "nice touch Akinfenwa"?

:facepalm: yourself

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A lot of stereotyping is funny - that’s what makes the difference between people from different countries , as long as it’s done in a kindly way . We are not all the same . The French like their young children to be seen but not heard , the Germans have no humour , The Chinese all work in restaurants etc , the Irish are lazy and the Scots always drunk it’s all stereotypes but it’s not harmful if the humour is portrayed in an obvious way. Little Britain was great at doing that , everyone was stereotyped and it was hilarious.
I always felt the odd one out not finding Little Britain funny.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Mate, you are clutching at straws.

The idea that everyone knows that Kenyans are the best pacemakers in the world and that this is what makes 'the joke' work is much more laughable than 'the joke' itself.

I disagree and think Tyrone explains it quite clearly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I watched a documentary last year about the round heads and cavaliers, the English civil war etc. The premise was that the UK has moved back and forth between the carefree and more puritanical outlooks. Victorian era stern and strictness versus 1920s gaiety and fun attitudes. It kind of stuck with me and seems interesting in what appears to be a time of the pendulum swinging back the other way. In the 90's I wondered how we were going to continue this progression to more and more offensive and explicit film and TV content. I was never offended by it per se but I did wonder where there was left to go. I guess the answer to that was a move back towards the puritanical. I guess that as a society we were somewhat preparing ourselves for this with the creation of political correctness in the 80s.

To me, the question is whether this turnaround is healthy for society as a whole? I see a younger generation who are much more inclusive to those on the sidelines (or who are at least trying to be). It is often clumsy and sometimes messy but the spirit of inclusion is decent and comes from a decent place.

As I said earlier there is not a black and white answer to if this joke is offensive only opinions on how it makes people feel. The discussion has continued about it and it is clear that some people are going to find it offensive. The reasons have been clearly explained yet some are still refusing to accept others' point of view. Still, ever it was so, I suppose.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Mate, you are clutching at straws.

The idea that everyone knows that Kenyans are the best pacemakers in the world and that this is what makes 'the joke' work is much more laughable than 'the joke' itself.

It seems you're in the minority.

It's good though that through this thread you've now learned that Kenyans are the worlds best pacemakers as it seems previously you did not know that.

It's good to learn something new each day.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I watched a documentary last year about the round heads and cavaliers, the English civil war etc. The premise was that the UK has moved back and forth between the carefree and more puritanical outlooks. Victorian era stern and strictness versus 1920s gaiety and fun attitudes. It kind of stuck with me and seems interesting in what appears to be a time of the pendulum swinging back the other way. In the 90's I wondered how we were going to continue this progression to more and more offensive and explicit film and TV content. I was never offended by it per se but I did wonder where there was left to go. I guess the answer to that was a move back towards the puritanical. I guess that as a society we were somewhat preparing ourselves for this with the creation of political correctness in the 80s.

To me, the question is whether this turnaround is healthy for society as a whole? I see a younger generation who are much more inclusive to those on the sidelines (or who are at least trying to be). It is often clumsy and sometimes messy but the spirit of inclusion is decent and comes from a decent place.

As I said earlier there is not a black and white answer to if this joke is offensive only opinions on how it makes people feel. The discussion has continued about it and it is clear that some people are going to find it offensive. The reasons have been clearly explained yet some are still refusing to accept others' point of view. Still, ever it was so, I suppose.

The pendulum is swinging back the other way now. Comedians are starting to push back and the people who pay them are now seemingly less scared of the blow back.

Netflix stuck by Dave Chapelle, Spotify stuck by Joe Rogan.

A few years back they may have been kicked off the platforms for things they said in 2022.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's good though that through this thread you've now learned that Kenyans are the worlds best pacemakers as it seems previously you did not know that.

I wondered if your were correct with this statement, so googled "worlds best pacemakers" and learned that its actually Osypka Medical, not Kenyans, so you were wrong.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The pendulum is swinging back the other way now. Comedians are starting to push back and the people who pay them are now seemingly less scared of the blow back.

Netflix stuck by Dave Chapelle, Spotify stuck by Joe Rogan.

A few years back they may have been kicked off the platforms for things they said in 2022.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are some people on this planet that make it their business to find offence in everything they possibly can.

I don't read this as a slur on doctors, Kenyans or little people.
Could of changed "Kenyan" for "bloke in trainers, running shorts & vest" to smooth the snowflakes

Or maybe just told a funny joke? After all, that’s what comedians are supposed to do.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wondered if your were correct with this statement, so googled "worlds best pacemakers" and learned that its actually Osypka Medical, not Kenyans, so you were wrong.

giphy.gif

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think the point is that if you are white British, mentioning other races in a joke is casual racism to some. It's part of the modern movement to separate white from black, with the white privilege arguments, and the division of the population into two groups, White British and The Rest, known by the acronym BAME.

The point being, as illustrated by this whole long thread, that if you are white and British and saying anything in public, it is safer to refer only to white people and to pretend that BAME people do not exist. Because if you mention them, someone will (genuinely or otherwise) take offence.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I think the point is that if you are white British, mentioning other races in a joke is casual racism to some. It's part of the modern movement to separate white from black, with the white privilege arguments, and the division of the population into two groups, White British and The Rest, known by the acronym BAME.

The point being, as illustrated by this whole long thread, that if you are white and British and saying anything in public, it is safer to refer only to white people and to pretend that BAME people do not exist. Because if you mention them, someone will (genuinely or otherwise) take offence.

I think the point is that it's needless (certainly in the case of the OP) to bring ethnicity into it at all.
Who on this thread has suggested that it's 'safer to refer to only white people'?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Ironic innit? (or is that offensive to irons?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whoever that Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman are they are now out of work and can't afford to go to a bar to catch up any more it seems.

Bono and the Edge walked into a bar.

Not u 2 again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

These days, if you say you’re English…..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
haha that's a bloody ripper.

I will guarantee I will have told that joke 8-9 times by the time Sunday evening arrives.

See, it’s possible to be funny and inoffensive. I’m here all week. I wonder how much these London dinners pay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here