[Football] Is this allowed? (PL investigate WHU / WBA / Snodgrass rule breach)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Part of an article from The Athletic:

The Premier League is investigating whether West Ham United and West Bromwich Albion breached regulations with an agreement that Robert Snodgrass would not play in tonight’s match at London Stadium, reports Oliver Kay.

West Brom manager Sam Allardyce revealed beforehand that Snodgrass was unavailable for the game due to “an agreement between the clubs” as part of the deal to sign the former Scotland midfielder from West Ham on January 8.

Such an agreement — whether written or informal — might constitute a breach of Premier League regulation I 7, which states that “no club shall enter into a contract which enables another party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its teams in league matches”.

The league is investigating the matter.

https://theathletic.com/news/snodgrass-west-ham-west-brom/m7vJL39LS6ZZ

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dock them both 30 points.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
There is nothing that can stop this. A team don’t have to play a player if they don't want to. Also they could say he had a slight injury if they wanted to. The only real problem with this is Fat Sam admitting they broke a rule rather than either of the above

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
TA team don’t have to play a player if they don't want to.

But that hasn't happened has it? Straight from the horse's mouth, a player isn't available because of an agreement with his FORMER club.

It's clearly happened before, but not after the player has started playing for the new club.

New rules were introduced in 2007, both clubs will get a fine.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He’s such a liability. How he keeps getting jobs in football I have no idea.

Because he’s given rescue jobs and so far has a 100% record of keeping these teams up. Never been relegated.

An incredible achievement. However it looks like this year may end that record.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The worst bit for me is Moyes comments to the press

West Ham manager David Moyes added: “I don’t think it is any of my business. I am not sure it is any of yours, to be honest. The Premier League have to do what they have to do.

Alright mate....

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As I said on the other thread:

I can’t see there being any major sanctions. It has gone on for years and I don’t see the problem with it anyway personally. Why is it underhand? If that’s something they’ve agreed themselves as part of the transfer then so be it.

Why is it any different to the loan situation when players can’t play against parent clubs?

And it’s not up to the Premier League what price a team pays for a player so why should this term be?

Don’t like either side and can’t stand Allardyce but I can’t see the big deal here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm amazed that Allardyce has actually stated what he did (assuming the OP is correct).

This is the man that did himself out of the England job after 1 game. Big Fat Sam is thick as mince

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why is it underhand? If that’s something they’ve agreed themselves as part of the transfer then so be it.

It's against the rules.

Why is it any different to the loan situation

Because it isn't a loan. The loan rules are there to stop a potential conflict of interest. The rule potentially broken here is to stop a potential conflict of interest.

And it’s not up to the Premier League what price a team pays for a player so why should this term be?

Can't you honestly see the difference?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its obviously wrong but all that will happen is that someone will get to hear "shame on you" and get a small fine.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
From The Athletic:

Why is that rule in place?
In the interests of integrity, the Premier League introduced that rule in 2007 in response to a situation involving former United States goalkeeper Tim Howard’s transfer from Manchester United to Everton.

Howard initially joined Everton on loan in the summer of 2006. When the two clubs negotiated a permanent transfer in February 2007, the deal contained a “gentlemen’s agreement” that he would not play against United later in the campaign. His understudy Iain Turner was in goal for Everton in that game, which United won 4-2, taking a significant step towards the Premier League title.

The Premier League felt the integrity of the competition could be compromised if a club was allowed to dictate the availability of another club’s player after selling him. Players on loan are not allowed to play against their parent club in the Premier League due to a potential conflict of interests, but different regulations apply to permanent transfers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports