Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is this absurd, or am I just getting old?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Even as a remoaner, Lib Dem, lefty-loony snowflake etc, I find this utterly ridiculous. Ok, they were "alarmed and uncomfortable" at the lack of inclusion, but where does it end and how do these people get through the day without being upset by things at every turn?

I'm inclined to believe it's all faux-outrage, but then am I just too old and ignorant at 40 to accept the world is different now and people like myself and the train conductor need to move with the times?

Also, I can't stress enough how alarmed and uncomfortable I am at myself for sharing a story from The Sun. I hang my head in shame.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14947...ce=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

I don't think you are old but it is absurd.
I rather think Laurence is a non binary masturbator.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
****ing morons who are seeking attention. Probably not even non - binary just chose to call themselves that for attention. If that offends you, you’re in for 256 offending comments per day for your entire life. Utter garbage.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only missing one of the 'Gang of Five'. Although it's ten now.

These threads are a lovely magnet.

Maybe the solution is to have two 'outrage' threads as permanent stickies. The 'Thread of Woke' and 'The Gammon Column'.

Very disappointed in PPF these days.

What I have noticed is there seems to be little 'woke' outrage that starts threads these days though. Perhaps a few imaginary enemies are being fought here. But that is the intention of that 'newspaper'.

I guess having the two threads would be a BINARY choice.

I apologise for upsetting anyone.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I would like to hear the rest of what the announcer said.
Lawrence appears to have cut them off mid sentence when quoting them.
Was it"please ensure you wear your mask at all times while on this service"?
Or"please ensure you take all your personal belongs and any rubbish with you,or place it in the bins provided,when you leave the train"?
Or maybe"please ensure you have purchased a ticket and have it ready for me to check as I walk through the train,if you don't have a ticket you can find me in carriage number 8 where you can purchase one".?
I guess we will never know.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I wonder if a memo has really been sent out telling their employees not to say "ladies and gentlemen"? Will it provide alternatives and if so, what are they?

"Good afternoon dear passengers" is safe I guess, but somewhat sterile.

"Good afternoon humans" is also safe but kind of HAL-like in its detachment.

"'Sup y'all" whilst safe might confuse those that are not as down with the kids as us NSC bods.

My personal preference would be "Good afternoon w*****s and those that lie a lot" but it might be a tad controversial...

I think you'll find we are all 'customers' now.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where does this end? Presumably this mean we can no longer write 'Dear Sir' or 'Dear Madam' in a letter?

And if you can't use Sir or Madam, and you can't assume Mr, Mrs, Ms, and you can't use first names because that is over-familiar then what are you supposed to do?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm older than you and I think it's fair enough. The passenger doesn't fit into the binary categories that were used and they're simply pointing that out.

Contrast the measured language used in both the original tweet and the response from the train company with the incendiary language used by the Sun though. To me that's where the real problem lies.

Yes your right.
I don't think it's very good of the sun to throw in words like"grovelling".
They should just report the story but by adding words they are trying to manipulate the story into something else.
It's just an apology and probably a correct one,I don't think it's a grovelling apology as the sun have said,and by adding "grovelling" they are inflaming things somewhat.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even as a remoaner, Lib Dem, lefty-loony snowflake etc, I find this utterly ridiculous. Ok, they were "alarmed and uncomfortable" at the lack of inclusion, but where does it end and how do these people get through the day without being upset by things at every turn?

I'm inclined to believe it's all faux-outrage, but then am I just too old and ignorant at 40 to accept the world is different now and people like myself and the train conductor need to move with the times?

I'm with you on this. A grovelling apology was not the appropriate response.

The world is changing - it always has, but probably never as fast as the last hundred years. A lot of the changes have been needed - but not every change is always right. Feeling they have to apologise for politely addressing a group of people as 'Ladies and Gentlemen' isn't one of the better ones!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I refer to the opening lyrics of the song Another Victory by Cypress Hill on their Skull and Bones album from 2000

"Get ready mother****ers" Shouted loudly before the beat kicks in.

This has been my go to greeting now for 21 years - I've not consciously offended any non binary person yet.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Well i am going to be uncouth and non pc and against my normal " try to just get along with anyone nature " and suggest Laurence needs a good old fashioned smack upside the ear to wake his common sense the hell up . What a twunt !

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't get it, but I'm increasingly aware that a lot of my kids generation see gender issues very differently to me.
In a very similar way to my parent's generation seeing homosexuality very different to the way my peer-group did.
And how their parents generation saw racial prejudice in a very different way too.

It's progress.
It will grind the gears of the reactionary older generation, because we don't get it.
But in 50 years time, most people will look back at us as being laughably ignorant.

But yeah, attention seeking twats, is my immediate reaction.
But that is because I am old and increasingly out of touch,

But are you "out of touch" or just made to feel you are by people who have to push the latest agenda and others too scared to say "that's shit" for fear of being made to look stupid or bigoted! ..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But are you "out of touch" or just made to feel you are by people who have to push the latest agenda and others too scared to say "that's shit" for fear of being made to look stupid or bigoted! ..

I have talked to my daughter at length on the subject and yes I'm definitely out of touch.
I find her generation's viewpoint very interesting.
They see the world as far more complex than man/woman/gay/straight, mainly because it is.

My hang-ups about it come from being out of touch, not because I am right and they are just trying to push a silly agenda.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Also, I can't stress enough how alarmed and uncomfortable I am at myself for sharing a story from The Sun. I hang my head in shame.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14947...ce=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

Utterly ridiculous that companies are feeling forced to apologise for much ado about nothing. This world is going totally crazy.

I don’t dispute that non binary exists but the number of people now falling into that bracket has sky rocketed in the last few years.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I refer to the opening lyrics of the song Another Victory by Cypress Hill on their Skull and Bones album from 2000

"Get ready mother****ers" Shouted loudly before the beat kicks in.

This has been my go to greeting now for 21 years - I've not consciously offended any non binary person yet.

Just tell me you're not an airline pilot...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here