Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this a hint from PB concerning the new manager?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Nah, he can't mean Gus, we've got hardly any of Gus' first 11 left (hush my mouth)

Well, quite. If it is Hughton, especially if he's announced quickly, it's a remarkably careless thing for PB to have said since Hughton doesn't have one of the three things that he's said the club want...

I'm struggling to think of a candidate who is a 'best fit' for all three of those criteria. Other than Gus - I suppose only Oscar Garcia and Nathan Jones would fit the bill.....so on balance I think it is a careless slip by PB, unless he is crudely attempting a smoke screen?

I sense that we are drifting towards Hughton but am struggling to summon up much excitement for his appointment. Maybe he would be a safe pair of hands - but by all accounts the football will be pretty uninspiring. Yes his first priority will be to steer us up the table, without taking too many risks. However his natural style even when fighting for promotion is to defend even deeper than Oscar.
:yawn:

Jones isn't my favourite person but I am warming to him. His return to common sense and playing to the strengths of our squad has much to commend it. So I wouldn't rule him out of contention - or object to him being retained under a new manager.

At least PB's comments would appear to rule out some of the dark horses like Cooper, unless it was a deliberate muddying of the waters?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm struggling to think of a candidate who is a 'best fit' for all three of those criteria. Other than Gus - I suppose only Oscar Garcia and Nathan Jones would fit the bill.....so on balance I think it is a careless slip by PB, unless he is crudely attempting a smoke screen?

I sense that we are drifting towards Hughton but am struggling to summon up much excitement for his appointment. Maybe he would be a safe pair of hands - but by all accounts the football will be pretty uninspiring. Yes his first priority will be to steer us up the table, without taking too many risks. However his natural style even when fighting for promotion is to defend even deeper than Oscar.
:yawn:

Jones isn't my favourite person but I am warming to him. His return to common sense and playing to the strengths of our squad has much to commend it. So I wouldn't rule him out of contention - or object to him being retained under a new manager.

At least PB's comments would appear to rule out some of the dark horses like Cooper, unless it was a deliberate muddying of the waters?

The only realistic candidate that does fit all three stated criteria is Nathan. Virgo tweeted yesterday that the players respect him and like him, and they certainly performed for him in the 2nd half against Reading and in yesterday's game - it would be interesting to know whether the senior players' opinions are sought in the decision-making process. I doubt it, but suspect that they might go for Nathan. Finally, PB has himself said that Nathan is in the running - he would say that anyway, I know; but he would also say it if Nathan was genuinely in the running.

Most likely, it was a slip of the tongue and Hughton will be announced soon, but, as we've both said, if it was a slip, it was quite a big one; and most unlike PB, who is normally so careful about what he says in this sort of situation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Finally, PB has himself said that Nathan is in the running - he would say that anyway, I know; but he would also say it if Nathan was genuinely in the running.
So, in conclusion, we can't take anything from the fact that he said it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, in conclusion, we can't take anything from the fact that he said it.

Not true! We can take either:

a) The job is Nathan's OR
b) PB has made an uncharacteristically careless public remark

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not true! We can take either:

a) The job is Nathan's OR
b) PB has made an uncharacteristically careless public remark
You may have misread my post. I was referring to your comment that "PB has himself said that Nathan is in the running".

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
In a report from SSN, he says:

We want someone with good experience of English football, the players we have in our squad and the players we’re up against."

Just how many candidates have the required experience emboldened?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?315527-Brighton-close-on-new-manager-Sky-Sports-News&p=6736762#post6736762

Chris Hughton has been watching our games for weeks, allegedly.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
NJ is the most cost effective option but it's a risk, often unknown temporary managers have a good start with new tatics but after a while get found out

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're right, I misread your post!
Alright, don't shout. You could put 'You're right' in bold though. Maybe underline it, or make it your signature - that'd be a nice touch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is this a new name in the frame?
No, Houghton has been in the frame for ages, although none of us are quite sure whom he is.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Chris Hughton has been watching our games for weeks, allegedly.

No real surprise there as it appears only Bloom and the board were not aware he wanted out.
Out of work managers also undertake scouting teams for friends in jobs.
Poyet stated that when he was sacked by us he, Taricco and Oatway drew up a list of clubs to watch who they thought would be having manager difficulties.
Sunderland was one of those clubs (Di Canio).

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Can't believe a word of the Daily Star article - they refer to Jones as 'popular' for a start!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here