Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is there really no such thing as a stupid question?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As a teacher I’ve always taken the view that the only stupid questions are the ones we never ask.

OK. I'm going to ask it then.

Why do so many teachers answer a question with 'As a teacher' at the beginning of their answer? It may be factually correct, but is it relevant?

It's like me answering a question with my answer beginning 'As a ridiculously handsome bloke who has had phenomenal success with women' blah, blah.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was once outside St Charles RC church in Worthing with an empty hearse and two limousines, whilst the service was going on, and a lady came passed and asked "Has somebody died?"

Without wishing to diss the lady in question, I'd class that as a stupid question.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As a teacher I’ve always taken the view that the only stupid questions are the ones we never ask.

As a student, I always took the view that asking questions let the teacher know that they hadn't explained things very well.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
If a picture paints a thousand words then why can't I paint you?

The effectiveness of pictures relative to words has no influence on an individual's ability to paint said picture.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
OK. I'm going to ask it then.

Why do so many teachers answer a question with 'As a teacher' at the beginning of their answer? It may be factually correct, but is it relevant?

It's like me answering a question with my answer beginning 'As a ridiculously handsome bloke who has had phenomenal success with women' blah, blah.

Fair enough. I have a job where answering questions is a core component. Encouraging people to ask questions helps to create an enquiring mind and a love of education, which is good for personal development. Therefore there's a case for saying every question should be treated with a degree of respect and courtesy, regardless of who asks it. The only time this probably isn't appropriate is when you are asked in a pub "What are you looking at", when you know that whatever the answer you are going to get a shoeing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a student, I always took the view that asking questions let the teacher know that they hadn't explained things very well.

Not explained the subject very well, or not explained it very well to you?

It could be that by asking a question you are showing interest in an element of what the teacher said and you want them to expand upon it as you want to know more about the subject matter?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Fair enough. I have a job where answering questions is a core component. Encouraging people to ask questions helps to create an enquiring mind and a love of education, which is good for personal development. Therefore there's a case for saying every question should be treated with a degree of respect and courtesy, regardless of who asks it. The only time this probably isn't appropriate is when you are asked in a pub "What are you looking at", when you know that whatever the answer you are going to get a shoeing.

El Pres, I liked your answer, but I'm not sure it answered my question.

Obviously in school/college, your audience know you are a teacher, but on here, many will not know.
I was wondering why teachers like to prefix their answers with 'As a teacher'. Is it in order to prepare their audience for their wisdom?

'Uh-oh, this one's a teacher. We'd better listen up'. :wink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Obviously in school/college, your audience know you are a teacher, but on here, many will not know.
I was wondering why teachers like to prefix their answers with 'As a teacher'. Is it in order to prepare their audience for their wisdom?

Makes sense. In a job context I take the view that there are no stupid questions and so try to apply that 100% of the time as it is the professional thing to do.

In a broader environment some questions can appear ill thought out or are there to provoke a reaction and perhaps don't warrant an answer. That could make them stupid questions as the answer can sometimes be self evident.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not explained the subject very well, or not explained it very well to you?

It could be that by asking a question you are showing interest in an element of what the teacher said and you want them to expand upon it as you want to know more about the subject matter?

I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean, could you find endless ways of saying the same thing until I get it?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Whilst I get there are no stupid questions in the sense that you only know what you know so asking about something you don't know is a valid and worthwhile question there are still moments that make you wonder.

Situation 1: Whilst discussing WWII one person(a grown adult in their mid 20's) on hearing about France's role came out with the now legendary question amongst those who heard it - Wait...France was invaded? Who by?!

Situation 2: On hearing that the doors on the left side of the train would open person B(who was facing person A) asked 'Who's left? Mine or yours?'

I think that we can all agree that both questions are at least heading in the direction of being slightly stupid. I guess the first, despite the stunning lack of knowledge, is actually the less stupid question. The second just required a modicum of thought and logic.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Working on Brighton seafront there are three questions I get asked at least a dozen times each summer, mainly from overseas tourists-
Where is the pier?
Where is the beach?
Where is the i360?
Whilst all sound stupid it should be noted that foreigners don't always know what a pier is. But UK tourists asking these questions do get the mickey taken out of them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Yes, but what of the ones that are scientists working in academia?

Do we have to sit up straight too while we're listening up?

Or is that a stupid question?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can we please all pronounce Mac Allister as Mac Al eeeesta?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here