Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is there life on HD164595b?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
See this is what I never get. Whenever there's a mention of alien life on another planet, they are ALWAYS apparently "far more advanced" than ourselves. Why ? They might be the equivalent of overdeveloped frogspawn lolling about in a swamp for all we know. I bet they haven't invented microwave ovens, the internal combustion engine, or Hollyoaks. What makes THEM so bloody clever eh ? EH ?

Frogspawn lolling about in a swamp would be too lazy to send signals. This means they have at least got TV, maybe even the Internet.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I know you're JOSHING, but it is quite interesting. Obviously the reasoning is that for us to have detected signs of life, the signals we will receive will have been sent light years ago, meaning that they'll have had millions of years of evolution by the time we receive it. Equally, it makes me wonder whether less advanced life forms will find our own signals in millions of years from now.

It also makes me thing controlled time travel isn't possible. Perhaps worm holes and the likes make it possible in theory, but if it could be done on a whim, surely there'd be evidence of it.

Something can't be sent "light years ago", as light years are a measure of distance (the distance that light travels in one year to be exact). As radio waves travel at the speed of light, and the HD 164595 system is about 95 light years away, the signal would have been sent about 95 years ago, so they (probably) haven't undergone much evolution in the mean time.

However, they do have to be more advanced than us to be capable of sending the signal. The articles I've seen suggest that they'd need to be at least capable of capturing the entire energy output of their planet to broadcast this signal (assuming it's an artificial signal at all), which is a level we're not at yet.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If we ever start communicating with living creatures from other planets, the number one priority is, how are you going to communicate information? Even between different cultures here on Earth, you get into communication problems - Story Musgrave

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If we ever start communicating with living creatures from other planets, the number one priority is, how are you going to communicate information? Even between different cultures here on Earth, you get into communication problems - Story Musgrave

They are already among us.

Dowie.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They won't be looking for life, they'll be hoping there is no life. What they'll be looking for is it's potential to sustain life incase we break earth for good.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They won't be looking for life, they'll be hoping there is no life. What they'll be looking for is it's potential to sustain life incase we break earth for good.

Given there's a potentially artificial radio signal, they'll certainly be looking for intelligent life.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clark

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It also makes me thing controlled time travel isn't possible. Perhaps worm holes and the likes make it possible in theory, but if it could be done on a whim, surely there'd be evidence of it.

I bet Tony Bloom wishes he could go back 5 years in time and offer Murray an improved contract...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here