Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there anything I can do about this?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Getting nowhere with this, he just keeps sending me the list of excluded items (3 times now) Trying to escalate it to his supervisor. Grrrrrr

Excluded items are only excluded for compensation if they are damaged, not if they are lost. Ask where the laptop is excluded from the written list of prohibited items which are excluded from all compensation.

Clearly someone working for Hermes must be aware of what is and isn't covered, if not why are they dealing with something that they have mo knowledge of.

As well as asking to escalate I would ask the manager why they employ such idiots.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Getting nowhere with this, he just keeps sending me the list of excluded items (3 times now) Trying to escalate it to his supervisor. Grrrrrr

Infuriating.
I know more about Hermes after a 10 minute search than the staff member does on the job.

"Please view the below list to see items that are excluded from compensation for damage" Key word in bold.
Yes your laptop is excluded from compensation due to damage, but NOT loss.

---

COMPENSATION TERMS
What level of compensation do you offer?
We offer compensation for the loss, damage or theft of items worth up to the value of £25 as standard. If you are sending items with a higher value, we also offer compensation up to the value of £100 and £250 for a small fee.

However, there are some items that we do not cover for damage. Please ensure that you check our comprehensive list of excluded items before shipping. If you choose to send any items that appear on this list, it is done so at your own risk.

---

Escalate it to a Manager.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ask to speak to a supervisor/manager. If they still maintain their stance ask them for their business address and tell them you will put it in writing and, if they do not compensate you, take them to the small claims court.
Don't say "maybe" or "could", say "I will"

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Still saying they will not compensate. I have made it clear if they do not compensate I will take it further through the media and small claims court. They have put it through to the complaints department and 'will get back to me'.

I am sure they do not want customers to be aware that any item containing a battery is excluded from compensation as I am sure that would be a sizeable loss of business. Just frustrating that you have to take these steps (that was a 20 minute phone after no success with the webchat)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Ask to speak to a supervisor/manager. If they still maintain their stance ask them for their business address and tell them you will put it in writing and, if they do not compensate you, take them to the small claims court.
Don't say "maybe" or "could", say "I will"

However, they're only duty bound, by their own Ts & Cs to pay £25 compensation, unless the OP sent the item back using one of Hermes' more premium options.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
What is the EXACT reason that they've given you for not compensating?

As I've mentioned on another thread, I've worked in the parcels industry for a number of years for a few of the different carriers.

That is contains a battery that is a prohibited item so is excluded from compensation

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That is contains a battery that is a prohibited item so is excluded from compensation

It's excluded from damage compensation, but not loss. How hard is it for Hermes staff to see these words within there own T&C's on their own website! Totally ridiculous.

Of the tens of thousands of tablets, laptops, phones and toys (which all contain batteries) that are sent via Hermes each month, at least a good few will be lost in transit.
Are Hermes saying that no one will be compensated as they are electrical items? I'd be fuming.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
at least a good few will be lost in transit.

If you include damaged I would suggest most.
I trade on ebay a fair bit and if a seller is offering delivery by Hermes, I do not buy from them, no exceptions.
I know they are cheap but am quite surprised people still us them.
Hope the OP gets his compo.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's excluded from damage compensation, but not loss. How hard is it for Hermes staff to see these words within there own T&C's on their own website! Totally ridiculous.

Of the tens of thousands of tablets, laptops, phones and toys (which all contain batteries) that are sent via Hermes each month, at least a good few will be lost in transit.
Are Hermes saying that no one will be compensated as they are electrical items? I'd be fuming.

This.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd love to see them agree to this being public:

"Hermes - Posting batteries is prohibited. If your item contains any battery, as with most electronic devices, then we will dispose of them."

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the advice from everyone but I wonder whether I am going to get anywhere with any of this and now need to move on and accept that it is £200 just pi$$ed away. So who's to blame?

The Seller: Misleading and inaccurate information of the laptop and being told to return the laptop through Hermes.

Ebay: Reluctant to take any action against the seller even after providing photographic evidence of the condition of the laptop and incorrect classification of the laptop. They will still claim the selling fee in that as far as they are concerned the transaction took place and no item has been returned.

Hermes: Have a great get out clause on electrical items to not paying any compensation plus they have not even refunded me my postage cost of £7.99. As a back story to this I only brought this laptop as Hermes originally lost a Chromebook I purchased through Amazon in a black Friday deal that Amazon could not replace.

Myself: Being stupid enough to go for one of the cheaper parcel delivery companies without checking the T & C and being a cheapskate in the first place to not just buy a new laptop!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yup, sent with £100 compensation Probably why they do not want to pay

I know I have disagreed with you over the original sale, but your dispute with Hermes is completely legitimate. You now have a substantial case against them because they have mis-sold you an insurance product.

You have purchased an insurance product without them doing the necessary "needs assessment". Because of their direct failings you have been sold a policy that you cannot make a claim under. Under no circumstances, according to their call-centre monkey,, could you make a legitimate claim but they were happy to sell you a product to insure your package to the value of £100.

(This is exactly the reason banks have had to set aside billions to compensate customers over PPI - they kept selling it to people who couldn't make a claim - a loss of earnings product is no good to a student, housewife or retired/unemployed person!)

Pretty sure that the Financial Conduct Authority would be interested!

Had they completed the necessary needs assessment, it would have been clear that you had no cover for the laptop and that you would have taken your business elsewhere. Therefore, not only should they be compensating you for the loss of the laptop, you are fully entitled to the fees paid back!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Thanks for the advice from everyone but I wonder whether I am going to get anywhere with any of this and now need to move on and accept that it is £200 just pi$$ed away. So who's to blame?

The Seller: Misleading and inaccurate information of the laptop and being told to return the laptop through Hermes.

Ebay: Reluctant to take any action against the seller even after providing photographic evidence of the condition of the laptop and incorrect classification of the laptop. They will still claim the selling fee in that as far as they are concerned the transaction took place and no item has been returned.

Hermes: Have a great get out clause on electrical items to not paying any compensation plus they have not even refunded me my postage cost of £7.99. As a back story to this I only brought this laptop as Hermes originally lost a Chromebook I purchased through Amazon in a black Friday deal that Amazon could not replace.

Myself: Being stupid enough to go for one of the cheaper parcel delivery companies without checking the T & C and being a cheapskate in the first place to not just buy a new laptop!

This is true, but only for damages. If they've lost the item, they still need to pay you compensation. Don't let this go.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Drop the CEO a call or email.....cant hurt....I did the same with Sky and my problem was resolved within an hour.

Hermes Parcelnet UK

Ms Carole Woodhead Chief Executive

Email Carole.Woodhead@hermes-europe.co.uk
Telephone 0330 333 6556
Website http://www.hermes-europe.co.uk
Social Media T

Postal Address Capitol House 1 Capitol Close, Morley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS27 0WHM
Company Number 03900782C
Company Status Active (Established 22/12/1999)

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Drop the CEO a call or email.....cant hurt....I did the same with Sky and my problem was resolved within an hour.

Hermes Parcelnet UK

Ms Carole Woodhead Chief Executive

Email Carole.Woodhead@hermes-europe.co.uk
Telephone 0330 333 6556
Website http://www.hermes-europe.co.uk
Social Media T

Postal Address Capitol House 1 Capitol Close, Morley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS27 0WHM
Company Number 03900782C
Company Status Active (Established 22/12/1999)

Definitely this, I had an issue with a TV which was one day out of guarantee and got fobbed off by the retailer. I emailed the CEO of the TV manufacturer and hey presto was fixed within 2 days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here