Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'm aware of this, but we have been after another striker since the summer and it has cost us enough points already.
How has it cost us points that the strikers we'd have identified in south America (who might have taken MONTHS to settle) couldn't join?

**** me, some people will only be happy if we spend 10m on proven strikers like Rhodes or McCormack. To the extent that signing someone who has done the 30 goal thing in this league and cost a Prem team 4 million in August is a disappointment.

Unbelievable.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Because we need a player now, not the end of Feb when we will have played 5 more games. Play off final is on 28 May so I doubt we would sign Murray before the Leeds game.

We are perfectly capable of sticking in the playoffs through February as we are, we still have Zamora, Wilson, Hemed and Baldock.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Murray is a proven goalscorer at this level. How did you come to that conclusion?

See below.

Because we need a player now, not the end of Feb when we will have played 5 more games. Play off final is on 28 May so I doubt we would sign Murray before the Leeds game.

The only goal scorers we have are Zamora and Wilson.
One is old and can't play all the time, the other I'm not sure is fully fit and could be recalled by Man Utd.
Baldock and Hemed are not bad players but don't get on the scoresheet regularly enough.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Given the fragility of Zamora, a Wilson recall, and the difficulty of landing a permanent striker in a window with 3 days to go then the club would be mad not to have a Plan B.

This doesn't mean they've a) leaked a story or ) by doing so would qualify as strategic PR. In lots of ways its downright unhelpful.
It doesn't, but given Andy Naylor relies on close links with the club and is unlikely to risk pissing them off at this stage in the season, I would suggest there is a good chance they've fed him this info. And I don't see 'managing fan expectation' as a bad thing to be honest, we can be quite a dillluded bunch.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd be delighted if this was true. Murray isa proven goalscorer (and winner of penalties) at this and higher level. The team is currently being set up to suit a player of his type with Knockaert and a returning Kaz. he's already scored at the Amex so he knows where the goal is. What's not to like?

A strike force of a fit Wilson, Baldock, Hemed, Zamora and Murray with support from Knocky, Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, KLL gives a good chance of ending the season every well indeed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a tough one on when it happens, if it does. It'll have to be a 93-day loan. We've got fixtures on Feb 13, 16, 20, 23, but the play-off semi-final weekends will in all likelihood be (although last year these dates weren't announced until March) 12-16 May, with the final c28 May. I suppose the best time to get him would be in time for the Hull game on the 16th (not so sure he's that crucial for the Bolton game on the 13th), which would allow him to play in that game, and then also both semi-final fixtures if applicable. That'd mean not having him for the final, again if applicable, but it seems like the best option.
Can we not do what Palace did with Dobbie, and have a break in the loan over the international break weekend ?

Of course it would require cooperation from Bournemouth, but you never know.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
See below.

The only goal scorers we have are Zamora and Wilson.
One is old and can't play all the time, the other I'm not sure is fully fit and could be recalled by Man Utd.
Baldock and Hemed are not bad players but don't get on the scoresheet regularly enough.
So based on that, what is your issue with Murray possibly returning?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The rumour has been there for months - Naylor has only just caught on to what most NSCers at least already knew...

Naylor reporting (from his sources) that he has learnt that the club (or from Bournemouth or Murray) have Murray as a target is not something anyone has reported on NSC in recent months. If so i've missed it.

The ongoing speculation and rumour that he could/should be part of Albion's plans is something thats been a NSC staple for every window for last 5 years. Not sure thats passed Naylor by has it or he would need to "catch on".

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Naylor reporting (from his sources) that he has learnt that the club (or from Bournemouth or Murray) have Murray as a target is not something anyone has reported on NSC in recent months. If so i've missed it.

The ongoing speculation and rumour that he could/should be part of Albion's plans is something thats been a NSC staple for every window for last 5 years. Not sure thats passed Naylor by has it or he would need to "catch on".
BBC Sussex tweeting the same info with a tweet basically verifying Naylor. I'd be very surprised if this isn't strategic to be honest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It doesn't, but given Andy Naylor relies on close links with the club and is unlikely to risk pissing them off at this stage in the season, I would suggest there is a good chance they've fed him this info. And I don't see 'managing fan expectation' as a bad thing to be honest, we can be quite a dillluded bunch.

Not this time. I was sitting having a curry last night when Naylor emailed the club to tell them he was running the Murray piece today.

This is being pushed by Murray's agent who wants to get him out of Bournemouth, presumably at his client's request.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm sure I've written about it previously. He was Hughton's top target last January, for example.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
We are perfectly capable of sticking in the playoffs through February as we are, we still have Zamora, Wilson, Hemed and Baldock.

We will have to agree to disagree. Also, I doubt our ability to close the gap on the top two with those strikers, not forgetting we play Hull before the end of Feb.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure I've written about it previously. He was Hughton's top target last January, for example.

Of course . In previous windows. And there's been detailed stuff on here about the Hoskins/Murray swaps a few years back. Not saying NSC isn't a great source of transfer detail or that journalists use NSC as a source (or jumping board) for stories. Of course they do.
But this doesn't look like to be the case this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not this time. I was sitting having a curry last night when Naylor emailed the club to tell them he was running the Murray piece today.

This is being pushed by Murray's agent who wants to get him out of Bournemouth, presumably at his client's request.
Interesting.

Murray's agent may not necessarily know for sure how the albion's search for other targets is going, particularly if he doesn't know the other agents because they are overseas for example.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My issue is that we are waiting 'til the end of Feb, think Murray will do a decent job.

Could we not get another striker on loan now for 28 days and then replace him with GM as suggested? I cant think of who but how about Robbie Keane until MLS starts again, isnt that in March?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm still not sure how I feel about a potential Murray return. Purely on footballing terms (I care not about how or why he left), do we really need another 30+ year old striker? We've got one of them and he's doing blindingly well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports