Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually a list of Football journos and the clubs they support?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Wickham Hill, Hurstpierpoint (strictly speaking Hassocks if you're going to be picky) rather than Brighton. No idea who he supports, but he likes a dog walk!

That's right, 5 Live pulled him onto one of the Amex games last season when someone pulled out at the last minute, he wasn't on a prem game and was 'just up the road'. He is local, knows the club but not a supporter but was incredibly complimentary.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That's right, 5 Live pulled him onto one of the Amex games last season when someone pulled out at the last minute, he wasn't on a prem game and was 'just up the road'. He is local, knows the club but not a supporter but was incredibly complimentary.

I remember seeing him in the bar at the AMEX before the England under-19s match there against Denmark at the end of the year before last.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Simon Yeend of the Express lives in Haywards Heath, Simon Brotherton of the Beeb lives in Horsham but both support Villa.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Henry Winter was definitely a Chelsea fan at Edinburgh Uni in the 80s for what it's worth. My best mate played in the Uni football team with him.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The bin dipper who was on the 5 Live show discussing Poyet supports either the blue bin dippers or the red bin dippers I guess.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I think Henry Winter is actually a Manchester United supporter. I remember him writing an article once where he spoke about the aftermath of United winning the Treble in 1999 where his wording pretty much declared his allegiance.

Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail supports West Ham and Tony Evans from The Times is a Liverpool fan.

Henry sat just behind me on the sports desk at the Indy about 20 years ago and I can assure you he was a dedicated Gooner. Very fine writer, so no great surprise if he can convince readers his loyalties lie elsewhere.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
A conclusive list would be handy when trying to detect any subtext in football articles...

I tried googling for one, but nothing came up.

The list so far:
Neil Ashton: Crystal Palace
Simon Burnton: Watford
Simon Calder: FC Guernsey/Arsenal
John Cross: Arsenal
Shaun Custis: Manchester Utd
Tony Evans: Liverpool
Ed Malyon: Crystal Palace
Andy Naylor: Stoke City
Martin Samuel: West Ham
Nick Szczepanik: Brighton
Henry Winter: Arsenal/Manchester Utd?

Rod Liddle: MILLWALL

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Paul Jiggins and Chris Davies (on talksPORT a lot) are both Millwall fans.

I wouldn't worry about bias too much from any of these people. If they were biased, they'd get sacked, or moved down pecking order.

In fact I have seen clear evidence that journos who support Palace have written far better pieces about Brighton than fans of other clubs simply because they know more about us. Neil Ashton springs to mind. And the fact he's very good, obviously.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not Andy Naylor's list pretty comprehensive. Nick Harris is a Saints fan. And whoever called Rod Liddle a football reporter is being very generous...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A few more broadcasters:

Peter Drury - West Ham
John Champion - York City
Ian Darke - Portsmouth
Alan Parry - Liverpool

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here