Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is there a way back for Gus?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
It still seems bizarre that he is giving up on his 'project' so easily. Also I am not so sure that he is a shoe-in for all these other vacancies...his recent behaviour may well have put other clubs off...or is his relationship with Barber/Bloom already beyond repair?

GP lives not that far from me and his house is def on the market. Im totally gutted about how this has all ended tbh here we were 6 weeks ago getting excited about the play offs then all of this. No WAY back now. How can or would it ever be the same again now all of this has happened.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
How many times has Barber been asked by journalists whether he'd be interested in furthering his career in a much bigger and more prestigious job?

I cannot believe that people STILL don't understand how the press work. It really is very simple. But not simple enough for a lot of football fans, clearly.

But no, there is no way back for Poyet now.
I remember Poyet and Zola were both interviewed after it was announced that Rafa was leaving Chelsea at the end of the season. They were both asked if they fancied the job. Poyet gave his usual "I'd love to", "lets see what happens" kind of answer. Zola said "It would be disrespectful to my current employers to answer that". And that should have been Gus' answer too.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I remember Poyet and Zola were both interviewed after it was announced that Rafa was leaving Chelsea at the end of the season. They were both asked if they fancied the job. Poyet gave his usual "I'd love to", "lets see what happens" kind of answer. Zola said "It would be disrespectful to my current employers to answer that". And that should have been Gus' answer too.

That would be because Zola is a really nice guy. Where-as Poyet is a **** (saved the software the trouble).

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

This in a nutshell. How many times has he put "team Poyet" before the club, fans,players, chairman. I was a big Poyet fan but for months now its been him him him. He is talented but should have had more of a connection with the club which gave him such an ideal opotunity to stage his blossoming managerial career. Hope he goes tbh

el punal

First of all, we don't know why he (and Tanno and Charlie) have been suspended. Secondly, yes he has been guilty of promoting himself in order to be a Premier League manager - I agree with a lot of fans that Gus should say WE, meaning himself and the club, are looking to get into the top flight. So, he could be accused of being selfish and dishonourable.

On the other hand he has been an intergral part of developing the club to its highest position in 30 years. He convinced many top class players to join the Albion despite competition from other clubs. He is responsible for the team playing the most attractive football for decades - and this has been recognised by the media, opposition teams and people in football generally.

Personally, I am pro-Gus and have admired what he has achieved for our club over the last three years. I sincerely hope that there is an amicable resolution to the problem between him and the board and that we can all progress to bigger and better things.

Wishful thinking? Of course. But after the woeful last ten days some good news is welcome.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Martin Lipton of the Mirror just said on Talksport that Gus is going.

Just waiting for all the legal stuff to made watertight.

So Gus does live on a boat then :rolleyes:

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
It still seems bizarre that he is giving up on his 'project' so easily. Also I am not so sure that he is a shoe-in for all these other vacancies...his recent behaviour may well have put other clubs off...or is his relationship with Barber/Bloom already beyond repair?

Let's hope not....time to go I'm afraid :wave:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
First of all, we don't know why he (and Tanno and Charlie) have been suspended. Secondly, yes he has been guilty of promoting himself in order to be a Premier League manager - I agree with a lot of fans that Gus should say WE, meaning himself and the club, are looking to get into the top flight. So, he could be accused of being selfish and dishonourable.

On the other hand he has been an intergral part of developing the club to its highest position in 30 years. He convinced many top class players to join the Albion despite competition from other clubs. He is responsible for the team playing the most attractive football for decades - and this has been recognised by the media, opposition teams and people in football generally.

Personally, I am pro-Gus and have admired what he has achieved for our club over the last three years. I sincerely hope that there is an amicable resolution to the problem between him and the board and that we can all progress to bigger and better things.

Wishful thinking? Of course. But after the woeful last ten days some good news is welcome.
As much as I agree about what Gus has bought to this club....stop and think....even if TB forgave him and let him take charge again,would anyone,fans included trust him to see the job through...knowing that he would leave as soon as a bigger club came in for him ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If as suggested his house is up for sale I would suggest that his boat has floated away. For him I would suggest the best option if it does happen as rumpoured Pardew get the sack and him go to Newcastle, a large club with good support potential and stadium etc.

His house in London? ?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

This sums up how I feel about the situation. One of disappointment and unfulfillment, even if Gus is exonerated and there is some form of reconcilliation, it cannot be the same again because of his repeated comments to the media about jobs elsewhere. This cannot be denied and is a matter of public record. For a good part of his tenure I forgave Gus his comments to the media as part of his character if a little naive and to a lesser extent open to misinterpretation due to cultural / communication skills. I was probably guilty of giving him the benefit of doubt because we were on the up. I was realistic enough to realise that Gus would not be with us for ever and at some point, hopefully in a year or two would move onward and upward.

More recently I think he has been increasingly and more brutally honest and shown ruthless ambition, beyond his current position. It is one thing to use an average Club as a stepping stone but to use one with so much going for it as The Albion must question his devotion to see a projection through. I agree this may have been noted by prospective employers and probably damages his prospects elsewhere, so has been ill advised - although not fatally as someone out there will still take a punt on him. These are my personal observations based upon what I believe to factual events and I hope they are not censored.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1456749/brighton-boss-gus-poyet-keen-talk-stoke-vacancy?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5739

Not if this is to be believed

A source close to Poyet said: "He would like a conclusion to the situation at Brighton so that both he and the club can move forward and make plans for the future.

"At the moment there has been no official approach from Stoke City regarding their vacancy. They would have to go direct to Brighton and then it is a question of whether Brighton, given the current situation, will grant permission for Gus to talk to them."

Hhhmmm......I had forgotten that Mark Cartwright (our ex-keeper) had become Stoke's Technical Director at the end of last year (as mentioned in that ESPN story). Cartwright had been Bridcutt's agent; he had to relinquish that role when he joined Stoke. If Poyet goes to Stoke, what are the chances of them making a bid for Bridcutt? I'm sure there couldn't be two bigger fans of his....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How many times has Barber been asked by journalists whether he'd be interested in furthering his career in a much bigger and more prestigious job?

I cannot believe that people STILL don't understand how the press work. It really is very simple. But not simple enough for a lot of football fans, clearly.

But no, there is no way back for Poyet now.
That's true, but when Gus was asked those questions he would always reply on the lines of "Yes please! I can't wait to get out of this provincial backwater and the sooner the better. Once I've taken them as far as I can you won't see me for dust" rather than the more diplomatic "Yes, maybe but currently I'm manager of Brighton and I'm focusing on that." I'm sure Barber too is ambitious and doesn't see this as the pinnacle of his career, but he at least gives the impression that he's fully committed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I get the impression he didn't really want to go, but he was just pushing for a better budget in the wrong way.

maybe you missed the threads before the Great Purge, its clear to any one thats not the case. but we cant talk about it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Since as no one actually knows anything the answer has to be "maybe?"

Whilst this is true, I feel the (professional, and appropriate) silence from gus and the club has left a vacuum that filled with rumour, innuendo, guess work and agenda driven nonsense has soured a lot of fans to him, and while they would keep quiet when we're successful, he won't enjoy the same grace period when things aren't going well, or will be defended less when he is criticised by impatient fans or those who expect 3-0 wins every week.

Very very unlikely and what Gus should do is look at how someone like Roberto Martinez has conducted himself recently and learn from it. Everyone knows Martinez is likely to leave but his comments, particulalrly during the FA Cup parade in Wigan have been totally respectful to Wigan and very very positive of how good things are for Wigan for the future despite their relegation.

He's deflected all attention off himself in a dignified and humble manner which is something our Gus should look to replicate - their future's will take care of themselves but the clubs they leave behind should not be disrespected and Gus didn't do himself any favours when mouthing off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here