Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is there a person alive...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Who still answers their telephone by stating their phone number?

And if not, when did this die out?

I don't think anyone has ever done it with a mobile phone, unless they were a complete maniac. But when did people stop doing it with landlines, and why? Or why did they do it in the first place, in fact?

I'm considering bringing it back.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I assume it started because you were manually put through by an operator, who could make a mistake?

(I remember my grannie having a four-digit number!)

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

I don't think anyone has ever done it with a mobile phone, unless they were a complete maniac. But when did people stop doing it with landlines, and why? Or why did they do it in the first place, in fact?

I'm considering brining it back.
No, but I answer my door by saying my address

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably died out with almost everyone opting for x-directory and the introduction of 141 and 1471. And phone numbers getting long.

My sister-in-laws landline voicemail message started with her stating the very easily read 6 digit number.

1990's?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Answers the phone?

Mine is permanently on silent.
Nobody ever calls me, except for one person - because there's always one person.

I usually let their missed calls go above 5 before texting 'what's up?'

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I stopped doing it when I became a rebellious teenager and couldn't be bothered to say the number anymore, so just opted for 'Hello'. I actually used to get told off for it, my reasoning that they knew the bloody number as they had just called it fell on deaf ears. :facepalm:

Stopped probably when we got a home phone with the ability to programme handsets to which we could link to the names we had input to them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

When I was in the Cubs it was part of our Communications Badge to ensure we knew to answer the phone with "This is Brighton 503547" - still remember my parents number 50 odd years on. Might even give it a ring to see who has it now - obviously with a 1 added.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
This thread reminds me of the origin of the bellcheeses at work thread "'Hello CTU' - add an N and rearrange the letters mate!"

Speaking of which I was at the George in London Bridge with some mates the other day and a bloke was in the courtyard signed off his phone call with "Welcome to the layer cake" which immediately made me think of NSC and the bellcheese thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here