Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the time right to bring Dunk back into the starting 11 ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think trying to defend with only ten men against a very direct Bolton side, who were crossing ball after ball into the box was an absolutely massive ask.

Hence I think CH made a mistake bringing on Calderon not Dunk, who is better defensively when it was obvious they would push for an equaliser with their main threat being Madine, good in the air.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I think trying to defend with only ten men against a very direct Bolton side, who were crossing ball after ball into the box was an absolutely massive ask.

I don't disagree, but it hasn't just been the Bolton game where we have struggled to defend aerially. In the Fulham game Smith was causing us all sorts of problems with direct play. Dunk is superb at defending positively and attacking the ball, which is also why he gets a fair few goals from corners.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hence I think CH made a mistake bringing on Calderon not Dunk, who is better defensively when it was obvious they would push for an equaliser with their main threat being Madine, good in the air.

Possibly yes. Although maybe a better plan would have been to try to stop those crosses coming in in the first place. Perhaps that was what CH should have been trying to use Calderon for, to get closer to the man who was crossing the ball.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed OP, now is the time. Best centre half for sure...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stick him upfront ....

Seriously though I'd play him over Greer any day of the week

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Dunk is the elephant in the room, I personally believe he should be first choice. - thankfully we have a functioning back 4/5 but it will be interesting how things play out if suspensions or injuries come into effect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. Lewis is a loyal lad. He signed a long contract extension back in the summer, and is here for the long haul l'm sure. (or as sure as anybody can be in football!).

Indeed. He'll have to fight for his place like every other player. Hughton has an unbeaten team, so far, so why should he change anyone, just because they want to play? Competition for places is a good thing. Dunk will get his chances.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. His time will come soon enough with suspensions, injuries and dips in form. Brilliant that we have 3 class, in-form CBs and another waiting.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I would agree that we probably wouldn't have conceded the late goal against Bolton had h been on. I would have brought him on instead of Calderon to bolster our aerial power against Madine. I don't think it would have been too difficult to have moved Greer out wider. Dunk is our best at winning the ball in the air not always accurate with the distribution from it but he at least wins the ball.

At a time like that should we have considered having three centre backs ??

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
FAST FORWARD to August 2016

Who would you be starting as our two central defenders, would it be D or G or H and do you think that we ought to be working on that ? NOW !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here