Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the squad strong enough to compete ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was thinking Ardiles' Spurs; let's hope it's better than that

Midfield onwards we have huge strength. Our backing, the strength of our PL years, is the only worry. We look vulnerable at the back in the 3 games so far. Solidity there is the difference between exciting midtable obscurity and the hallowed 5th place for Chumps League this year.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There is window in four months time also we have no idea what Beleba will bring to the table hard to say If the midfield is weaker at this point.
If Milner could actually be used as a midfielder then there would be less worries about the midfield.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Overall it’s tough to know if we are weaker or stronger.

Sanchez——————> Verbruggen
Offiah———————> Milner
Colwill ——————-> Igor
Caicedo —————-> Baleba
Mac Allister ————> Dahoud
Sarmiento—————> Adingra
Enciso——————-> Fati
Undav——————-> Pedro

Player for player, more upgrades than downgrades, especially in attack.

Edit. Plus a transfer window profit of circa £74m

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Huge flair up front.

Loads of guile in midfield but little steel (unless Baleba or Milner step up).

At the back we'd be relying on Solly (he'd be great) if Pervis gets injured. Really need Lamptey back firing.

Keepers - fine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CB not sure, DM far weaker …. how do you replace £150m of world class CM’ers? RB, is there quality cover for Veltman, genuinely I’ve lost track of our incoming signings.

Elsewhere, we ooze talent.

So hard to truly say until we’re played 10 PL games and EL.

Separate to that, there’s a more aware opposition. Is every manager going to copy the brains trust of Dyche, Cooper and Moyes, just letting us have the ball with a deep block?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I have to rely on RDZ and the club working together. Like most of the people here, my questions/points are:

1. What happens if Pervis is injured?

2. If we’re not going to play Veltman (imo our best right-back by far) I trust the manager, but we saw Webster get torn apart last week, and don’t want to see that every week. I haven’t worked out what we’re doing there yet. It looks not just open, but gaping. I’d like to feel we didn’t have midfielders covering, and instead had a player who can actually do what RDZ wants. Is this really by design?

3. Baleba will need time to settle and make this place his home, do we not need a DM with a bit more experience in addition? I feel by not having one we’re putting more pressure on Baleba than is perhaps helpful. I’m sure he’ll come good, but don’t want us expecting Caicedo performances immediately.

Outside of the above concerns, yes we can absolutely compete. I believe in the coach, the ownership and the squad. Roll on the rest of the season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Overall it’s tough to know if we are weaker or stronger.

Sanchez——————> Verbruggen ?
Offiah———————> Milner UP
Colwill ——————-> Igor ?
Caicedo —————-> Baleba DOWN
Mac Allister ————> Dahoud DOWN
Sarmiento—————> Adingra UP
Enciso——————-> Fati UP*
Undav——————-> Pedro UP

Player for player, more upgrades than downgrades, especially in attack.

Edit. Plus a transfer window profit of circa £74m
That's what I think (at the moment at least). But what this doesn't take account of is the improvement of the players in our squad. The difference between Enciso a year ago and a month ago is illustrative, and we could add in no end of players to that, and not just young ones. Pervis took a while to settle for instance, and we've all seen the improvements in March.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We’ll be ok. Have some faith. No point worrying about if’s.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have lost: Sanchez, Colwill, Caicedo, MacAllister, Undav

We have Added: Verbruggen, Julio, Baleba, Milner, Dahoud, Fati, Pedro. Plus returns of Alzate & Adingra

Caicedo & MacAllister formed a brilliant partnership which will be difficult to replace but ultimately a decent transfer window

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here