Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the problem bigger than the manager?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But that's all relative, recruiting good players is the most expensive it's ever been.
Well yes, but we haven't recruited good ones have we? We sold/released the good ones and immediately replaced them with inferior ones - who are costing as more!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't say its a bargain basement attitude - I think its the complete opposite. I think Bloom and co think we're much bigger than we really are. They got fooled by Poyet's success, even thinking that he under-achieved by not getting us promoted, and started turning us in something we're not. All this Directors of Football and premier-league ready nonsense, they lost track. I hope this season acts as a reality-check.

Great post. There's no point buying s Ferrari if you can't afford to put petrol in it

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I am not sure we can make a definitive statement about recruitment until we have a manager who can get the best of them. And is here long enough and has established his credentials sufficiently to get his own players in.

Left to their own devices the recruitment team brought in Agustein. And if we paid CoG anything approaching the reported figures serious questions need to be asked.

Exactly. Apart from maybe CoG and all managers or recruitment teams make mistakes but we havent actually signed "shit" what we have is a clueless Finn who even at the beginning of the season was playing KLL in centre mid and CROFTS on the left if midfield :eek: since then its got WORSE.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The problem is that the buys in the summer were dreadful. That is the fault of those who identified the players. The other problem is the manager who is not getting enough out of what he has but its more than just the manager. Its not Bloom however, he has done more for this football club than anyone since and including Bamber.

The problem is with the SELL in the summer. Everyone was told that Ulloa was not for sale & so scouted and bought with him as figurehead. Leicester then offered £4m more than he was worth & we 'had' to sell thereby making the buys we bought to supply him, fit in with him less effective. And others were bought at too short notice with the big fresh pile of cash (see Spurs & 'pool to see how replacing your best player ain't easy)
So, we simply now need an experienced manager, stay up and go again next summer

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The behinds the scenes set up hasn't really changed since summer 2012, and we did ok in the following 2 seasons. This season we've got a new manager, who picks a completely different team every week and plays players out of position. Seems obvious where the problem is to me.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well yes, but we haven't recruited good ones have we? We sold/released the good ones and immediately replaced them with inferior ones - who are costing as more!
You may well be right. But we don't know for sure until we have someone to get the most out of them.

What has happened to Holla? I was underwhelmed about Baldock but let's give him a chance.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You may well be right. But we don't know for sure until we have someone to get the most out of them.

What has happened to Holla? I was underwhelmed about Baldock but let's give him a chance.
And of course likewise you may well be right. I suspect the real truth will be somewhere between the two views.

To change the argument slightly: are the fans to blame? If the club had said, "Look, the players' wages are bleeding us white and if we want to get anywhere near financial sustainability we've got to sell/release the best players and replace them with more-affordable ones who might not be as good" - how would people have reacted? 'Not positively' would be my guess. I can't shake off the feeling that the club knew that, so they offered average players above-average wages in the hope that that would make them good. And yes I'm well aware of how stupid that sounds.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Bloom is getting far too easy a ride here. It's his team of people that have completely f'd up and he's the one whom continues to back them. The spotlight needs to start shining in his direction and he needs to make changes urgently or he'll be the person responsible for relegation.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I hope that is not the case Brovion. If reports are true we certainly overpay for CoG and why would he be any different. For me, I prefer the club has a reputation for fiscal prudence and we look for players who want to prove themselves. Not the Agusteins of this world.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've felt that ever since the departure of Garcia. For one manager to go in odd circumstances is one thing, but to have history almost repeat itself suggests that something behind the scenes is not quite right.

And in a off the record chat with Andy Naylor he made it very clear the problem was Barber and Bloom and the way they insist on running the club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
IF Bloom really did refuse Sami's resignation and IF the family really were on a train back from Derby saying Sami is here to stay then TB is a much bigger problem that anyone thought. Everyone makes mistakes. Winners rectify them and don't repeat them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting. You can never be quite sure it is not the sound of an axe being ground.

Agreed but .... to lose one good manager can be considered bad luck ..... two can only be careless.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I wouldn't say its a bargain basement attitude - I think its the complete opposite. I think Bloom and co think we're much bigger than we really are. They got fooled by Poyet's success, even thinking that he under-achieved by not getting us promoted, and started turning us in something we're not. All this Directors of Football and premier-league ready nonsense, they lost track. I hope this season acts as a reality-check.

I think that this is a very good point. We were all lulled into a false sense of security by what Gus Poyet achieved. Despite often sublime football by a team performing better than the sum of its parts, many got annoyed that it could not be re-produced every week. The feeling amongst some was that we could do even better with a different manager. We are now seeing that what Poyet did was not insignificant. When you look now at the team now, where are those achievements of the club playing keep-ball in every team, from first team to juniors? Gone.

When Tony Bloom brought in the corporate machine of Barber et al, the days of a talented, but idiosyncratic manager like Poyet were over. Unfortunately, the only way a club like ours will ever get that elusive playing success is through a manager like that. For that to work, that type of manager will want influence over transfers, etc. Bloom seems determined to stick with the corporate machine, rather than back a enigmatic, egotistic manager who can bring us success. I am afraid that will have only one outcome.

Incidentally, I believe we would have got promoted two seasons ago if Barber had not come in and made Poyet want to leave the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Incidentally, I believe we would have got promoted two seasons ago if Barber had not come in and made Poyet want to leave the club.

But before that we had Ken Brown that massively overspent Tony Blooms money, lost control of costs & made very poor commercial arrangements. Need to find a happy medium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here