Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the equation as simple as, no striker in before the end of the transfer window = Down

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
No it doesn’t, but will be touch and go in terms of staying up whether we bring someone in or not. Thing is we’re highly unlikely to sign a proven PL striker based on our past record - even if we do sign someone it’ll be from abroad and whoever it is will take at least a few games to get used to things. If we can’t stay up with what we’ve already got then we aren’t going to stay up IMO..........and with Muzza basically past it, Maupay and Connolly better start firing soon.

This.
We won't be paying more than £50k/week and won't be parting with fees much over £25m. So f**k all chance of signing a proven PL striker in a January window. What are people smoking of they think that will *EVER* happen?

Overseas talent or academy prospect is all we are ever going to look for and get (with the occasional end-of-career testimonial season veteran). Let's get real here, proven PL strikers are way out of our reach!!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Owen suggesting this morning that we're in for a 'quiet final week'. Does that mean that we're not going to get there striker we all yearn for?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18186393.albion-see-sub--5m-aaron-mooy-shrewd-business/

When have we ever in any window said we are going to be busy? We will never show our hand..east to say we are quiet..even when we were going to sign Mooy club said nothing doing at minute and comfortable with situation.. smoke and mirrors!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This.
We won't be paying more than £50k/week and won't be parting with fees much over £25m. So f**k all chance of signing a proven PL striker in a January window. What are people smoking of they think that will *EVER* happen?

Overseas talent or academy prospect is all we are ever going to look for and get (with the occasional end-of-career testimonial season veteran). Let's get real here, proven PL strikers are way out of our reach!!
This is why I suspect a half season loan is more likely.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Connolly is not up to the job yet. We need to hold on to Murray and bring a proven goalscorer in by the end of the window, we don't have enough in the finishing department as things stand and we need more goals from midfield.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I'f we don't invest in one or two strikers in the January transfer window, and we go down, the club will only have themselves to blame. The offensive options that we have in the side at the moment are little short of a joke for a Premier League club.

I often wonder the club's heart is really in the Premier league.
I think fitness also plays a large part. The number of times we reach the 70 minute mark with half the team looking knackered is worrying.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There are no absolutes, but a striker is as near to a must this window as we are ever going to get...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No one ever names realistic targets that are Proven to score in the PL. Your all dreaming

We are not scouts. Just realistic about our chances without a good striker addition. You on the other hand are in denial...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
No one ever names realistic targets that are Proven to score in the PL. Your all dreaming

Angel Rodriguez
Mikel Oyarzabal
Ante Budimir

That’s 3 for starters..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The manager is the key to survival. You are right, we are far too predictable at the moment. Fine playing out short if you are Man City, who have high quality players, who can play decisive and accurate 30-40 passes and in the blink of an eye can switch from defence to attack. We cannot. It is too slow, too predictable and lacks the accuracy demanded. Dunk does a manful job but Webster has a minimum of two critical errors in him every game and we all know that before long, in any game, he is going to pass it straight to the opposition from within his own penalty. As nervous as Bournemouth were on Tuesday, they sensed that once they had seen out our spell of dominance early on, we would make mistakes under a little bit of pressure and we did. Its almost as if our players get lulled into a false sense of security that they can roll the ball about between each other for 30 minutes and the opposition will crumble.
I watched a glorious game between Wolves and Liverpool on Thursday, both teams mixing it up all the time, never afraid to go long when the situation demanded. If Potter has only got one game plan, we are going down. If we can mix and match and try and use the pace of our front men more via quick release from Ryan, we have a chance.
It is clear we need more bite upfront. Midfield and defence have contributed 15 PL goals this season. Strikers ( incl Andone ) have 10. We have a choice. Go for a PL striker out of favour ( e.g Tosun..who is costing Palace nothing at the moment, as Everton have waived both wages and loan fee in lieu of Palace agreeing to Everton's figure for him at the end of the season ) or dip into the Championship for a Watkins, Bowen or Dack. If we get someone in who can get 5-6 goals and Potter is more flexible in tactics we have a real chance of survival. Either way its going to be tight and the next two games are huge.

Tosun is costing Palace the best part of 150,000 grand a week.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Tosun is costing Palace the best part of 150,000 grand a week.

Not so. Everton have agreed to pay his wages until the end of this season with an agreement for Palace to buy him in the summer.

It doesn't appear that there are any signs of an additional striker coming in during this window (not completely unexpected) but not convinced we'll go down without a new signing. Still feel we have enough to stay up. Glass half full for me.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think fitness also plays a large part. The number of times we reach the 70 minute mark with half the team looking knackered is worrying.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

This.

Against Villa, astonishingly it was the 46th minute, other than Berrnardo. As if the player’s had physically and psychologically burned themselves out with their first half efforts. Maupay, Propper, Trossard and Connolly in particular, looked shot.

Our squad appears to lack power and pace, and the ability to maintain that for 90 minutes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are not scouts. Just realistic about our chances without a good striker addition. You on the other hand are in denial...

Exactly. Supporters aren’t the ones with the job, the multi £m team of Ashworth, Winstanley and their small army of analysts and scouts have the task, it’t their profession.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
If you want a blueprint of a team destined for the relegation places look no further.

Manager still tinkering and cannot decide who his best players are, or come to that, get the tactics and the formation correct.
Defence looking leaky, Duffy should be playing but has an injury, but if fit would Potter play him?
No pace throughout the team. Connolly you could argue has, but he is still at the development stage.
Form drops, either in the first half when they start slowly, or 2nd half where they appear bereft of energy, 90mins of good tempo football is beyond them.
No-one in the team appears to fully engage the opposition, berate poor play or decision making, get the team going (exception here is Mooy). The lack of fight is very evident.

On the upside:
We CAN show ability & fight, 2nd half away at Bournemouth, 1st half home to Villa, almost both halfs away to Arsenal, 2nd half away at Everton. As I mention, two good halves together appears to be our Achilles heel in the most recent games, this MUST change.
If we do get a striker in of note I believe our players and fans alike will be massively lifted, it could be enough to kick-start our comeback to some kind of form and perhaps the safety zone above the bottom three come May.

Still believing, just.

UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here