Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the BPL the best league in the world

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
My original post stated, that after watching both I feel that the prem is more entertaining, the thrashing about part was reply to you dropping your knickers and getting them all tangled. I appreciate both leagues. However, if I had a choice between watching a prem game vs a la liga game I go prem.

Regarding your obsession with statistics, there are plenty on here who know stats like a Christian knows the bible, so you are in luck to have a deep and meaningful with them about the month Suarez scored a goal off his left shin etc etc

Well, your original post said "I can safely say the premiership is much more entertaining and contested than what the Spanish league has to offer." So it wasn't just about entertainment it was about the level of competition.

I then made a point about the depth of the Spanish League.

You could have accepted that, but instead you claimed "You also get weekly thrashings handed out by barca and Madrid, much more than in the prem". So I replied with some figures showing that's not the case. Is there anything about that you would disagree with or prove to be wrong?

And you also said "I'm sure the goals scored by messi and Ronaldo in la liga are a lot higher than the prem regards to the weaker teams". Again, I was able to show that isn't so. Unless I've got the numbers wrong?

As for stats, I couldn't care any more than you about how many completed passes were made or how many kilometres Player X ran, but this isn't about stats unless you think that looking at a league table makes you a nerd.

It's a shame you decided to respond with personal abuse rather than a coherent counter-argument, unlike some I don't mind having my opinions challenged.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Why the hate for BPL? The Barclay's Premier League. It's not ****ing rocket science. Just the same way some people call it the Prem, some call it the PL.

Oh, and EPL doesn't work because it's not an English league (Swansea, Cardiff etc)

I stand corrected.... :dunce:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Well, your original post said "I can safely say the premiership is much more entertaining and contested than what the Spanish league has to offer." So it wasn't just about entertainment it was about the level of competition.

I then made a point about the depth of the Spanish League.

You could have accepted that, but instead you claimed "You also get weekly thrashings handed out by barca and Madrid, much more than in the prem". So I replied with some figures showing that's not the case. Is there anything about that you would disagree with or prove to be wrong?

And you also said "I'm sure the goals scored by messi and Ronaldo in la liga are a lot higher than the prem regards to the weaker teams". Again, I was able to show that isn't so. Unless I've got the numbers wrong?

As for stats, I couldn't care any more than you about how many completed passes were made or how many kilometres Player X ran, but this isn't about stats unless you think that looking at a league table makes you a nerd.

It's a shame you decided to respond with personal abuse rather than a coherent counter-argument, unlike some I don't mind having my opinions challenged.

Yes you are correct with quoting me on the english league being more contested. This is true, generally in Spain you have two teams who will compete for the title. Every 5years or so it seems they have another team in the mix. You love your stats so have a look at that. This can also be backed up by the distribution of tv money in la liga. Barca and Madrid both take 25% each of that whilst the other clubs share what is left in the pot. This already makes for a 2 horse race.
Now you might come back and say, "well England always has the same winners each year..."
Yes you would be correct, but there are plenty of contested games between clubs. The english league has at least 5-6 strong teams. The Spanish league? I will leave that one for you to decide.

As some people on here know, I a an espanyol sth. I have been for the last 4 years. There have been so many games I would compare to league one english football at best. When the likes of Osasuna or getafe roll into town, it's often a bore.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Definitely not, English teams hardly ever do well in the Champions League and Europa League.

La Liga has the best top teams and players whereas The Bundesliga has the best atmosphere and fans.

Premier League's only the most watched because of NBC.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Definitely not, English teams hardly ever do well in the Champions League and Europa League.

La Liga has the best top teams and players whereas The Bundesliga has the best atmosphere and fans.

Premier League's only the most watched because of NBC.

Maybe because they have more competitive matches during their domestic season than the others

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it depends what you're after. If you are after thrills and spills, players charging around the pitch giving 110% and flying into tackles etc then the Premiership will deliver. If you're after a more measured, considered and technical game then clearly Spain and Germany are better suited to you.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Yes you are correct with quoting me on the english league being more contested. This is true, generally in Spain you have two teams who will compete for the title. Every 5years or so it seems they have another team in the mix. You love your stats so have a look at that. This can also be backed up by the distribution of tv money in la liga. Barca and Madrid both take 25% each of that whilst the other clubs share what is left in the pot. This already makes for a 2 horse race.
Now you might come back and say, "well England always has the same winners each year..."
Yes you would be correct, but there are plenty of contested games between clubs. The english league has at least 5-6 strong teams. The Spanish league? I will leave that one for you to decide.

As some people on here know, I a an espanyol sth. I have been for the last 4 years. There have been so many games I would compare to league one english football at best. When the likes of Osasuna or getafe roll into town, it's often a bore.

And I am an Elche STH, so now we are at the point where personal views take over.

Last weekend I watched Aston Villa v Newcastle, Hull v Stoke and Sunderland v Man Utd. All were of dreadful quality, and mostly lacking in any sort of drama, and whilst that might well have been the case in the game at Almeria (which I didn't see) just because there are borefests in Spain doesn't mean there aren't any in England either, I've seen hundreds over the years.

As for contested matches, I stand by what I already said. At least the Champions of Spain have dropped points this season already.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In terms of worldwide interest and televised high profile games then the premier league is certainly the best, so many big games with big teams and players and over the course of the season there's some absolutely cracking fixtures.

I think if you're a fan actually going to matches the premier league is a long way behind the bundesleage imo. Better and bigger stadiums, better atmospheres, better value for money, standing areas, drinking in the stands. Football in Germany is still a sport for the people, catering for all incomes, social backgrounds and still very welcoming to families.
The premier league has priced out so many ordinary people especially in our capital, its almost become a spectator sport for the privileged few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here