Is Sam Vokes a keeper?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
not goalkeeper before i get a quick witted response :facepalm:

but at 22 he's a decent striker and says he likes it here and seems as if he wants to stay.

so, sign him up or not?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This, need someone proven of scoring goals if promoted.....and if CMS is to stay then we need him to find his form.

But out of our squad Vokes is the player with one of the most Prem experience? Do we need to bin the whole squad? Norwich & Swansea seem to be doing OK?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Definitely keep him. He's our best striker

Best Striker at what he does, agreed. But he is not a twenty goal a season striker and never will be.That's not to say his role is not vital, as it is with a two pronged attack. Which makes the issue of not playing him with Cms even more baffling.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Best Striker at what he does, agreed. But he is not a twenty goal a season striker and never will be.That's not to say his role is not vital, as it is with a two pronged attack. Which makes the issue of not playing him with Cms even more baffling.

We are 4th with 7 games to go and I believe only have 1 player in double figures on goals this year? Why does anyone "need" a 20 goal a season player?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are 4th with 7 games to go and I believe only have 1 player in double figures on goals this year? Why does anyone "need" a 20 goal a season player?

Only five teams have let in less goals than us. The strength of our defence has allowed us to be in fourth without scoring loads of goals. I doubt the defence would be so solid in the prem, but then who knows?...Either way we would deffo need to sign at least one top draw striker. Perhaps Kevin Doyle would fit the bill, if Wolves go down...Anyway it's all if's and maybes.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Barnes is our best finisher. Vokes is ok but he should win more balls in the air for his height

Stumpy Tim

Barnes is our best striker, but Vokes is very good too, at what he does.

I'm at the point where I've stopped calling Barnes a striker as he plays everywhere. I'm a big fan of Barnes too.

I really like Vokes though. He holds the ball up well, wins his fair share of headers and has been scoring goals. He could be more mobile but it will come

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Only five teams have let in less goals than us. The strength of our defence has allowed us to be in fourth without scoring loads of goals. I doubt the defence would be so solid in the prem, but then who knows?...Either way we would deffo need to sign at least one top draw striker. Perhaps Kevin Doyle would fit the bill, if Wolves go down...Anyway it's all if's and maybes.

Well Liverpool put 8 past them in two games. That's not exactly the best the prem has too offer so based on that.......

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Without a doubt. I thought he was really effective in his role. Which is more than can be said for those around him who failed to support him. We need a real attacking midfielder like Steve Sidwell.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
In that case why does he not push further forward? What hid he contribute yesterday?
I think many on here like yourself need to look at out tactics to get the awnser,our strikers and wingers practically get crap service because we have to many players back defending all the time,the service to our strikers in away games has been aweful.

The defence gets all the credit but that's only because most away games we seem to have 7 players defending and sadly are unabled to do very little attacking.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
CMS is our best striker. Questions marks over whether he is worth what we paid, but I still think he's better than Barnes and Vokes.

I think CMS has the most goals from open play.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
CMS is our best striker. Questions marks over whether he is worth what we paid, but I still think he's better than Barnes and Vokes.

I think CMS has the most goals from open play.

I think you are wrong. CMS works VERY hard, but he runs around like a headless chicken, and when he gets a chance to score invariably fucks it up. I think Vokes is quality (as a traditional Center Forward) and Barnes has a knock of being in the right place and finishes well. Barnes' problem is he spend too much time wandering aimlessly in midfield. I just cannot see why CMS in not asked to play the role Barnes is given, and Barnes either dropped, or allowed to push forward more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports