Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is rock/pop music dying?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I though? I admit to be 48 and possibly not having my finger on the pulse as I once (hopefully did), but i do buy stuff from new artists.

Where is todays Johnny Rotten, Joe Strummer, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Bob Dylan. I want the young to be rebellious, to question, to rail against authority. It used to be in song, but so far only Green day have been mentioned and they must be nearing 40. I take peoples point about if you dig hard enough outside of the mainstream, but the Sex Pistols, Clash, Jam were all mainstream in the end......they were want youngsters wanted. They defied what safe BBC wanted youngsters to watch on ToTP i.e the Dooleys, showaddywaddy

Frank Turner?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Rock/pop music is not dying - but society's relationship with it is changing and always will change. Back in the 60's and 70's rock/pop was the youth movement. Today it is just a part of youth culture alongside social networks etc.

Maybe a few years on from now when smartphones and tablets and social networks are not so exciting anymore then the relationship with rock/pop will alter again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here