Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is qualifying for Europe easier via the FA Cup now than the league?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The only result we’ve got against City since we got promoted was when they’d already won the league and went down to 10 men very early on. If we do manage to get to the final, we’d need a massive slice of luck to beat them although we are due some after this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes it is.
No it isn't.

We've got to finish above Villa and Liverpool (or one of the others) to finish top 6. We're currently 50/50 to finish inside or outside the top 6.

To win the cup we have to beat Utd and then the best team in Europe, so we're a 6/1 shot.

So obviously it's much easier to do it via the league.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only result we’ve got against City since we got promoted was when they’d already won the league and went down to 10 men very early on. If we do manage to get to the final, we’d need a massive slice of luck to beat them although we are due some after this season.
If the luck we're due this season all arrives in that match, City will be down to 5 men before kickoff, and although rules state the match should be called off, the ref will demand we play it anyway and we'll get awarded a penalty every time our players raise their hands.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nah I think we are going to be penalty kings and rule over Manchester. Easy peasy. Man City aren’t all that.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
A big consideration though is the possibility of City travelling to Istanbul for the Champions League Final, on the Wednesday after the FA Cup final. This will certainly affect the squad selection and commitment.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A big consideration though is the possibility of City travelling to Istanbul for the Champions League Final, on the Wednesday after the FA Cup final. This will certainly affect the squad selection and commitment.
The last semi against them he played a stronger squad against us than in the CL against Spurs which they lost.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The Champions League final is the Saturday after the FA Cup final so I don’t think it will have that much impact on what team City might play.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Getting a Europa League spot would make Champions League more a possibility the following season, as there will be a reasonable chance of winning it.
Glasgow Rangers lost last years final in a penalty shoot out, and they are rubbish.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The last semi against them he played a stronger squad against us than in the CL against Spurs which they lost.
You should email him that as a reminder, if it were to get that far.

Oh, ignore that:
The Champions League final is the Saturday after the FA Cup final so I don’t think it will have that much impact on what team City might play.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think that the FA/EPL/PGMOL have probably already decided this one.

So no.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Ask me after Saturday, if we get something at Chelsea then I’d say top 6 is in reach. Our games in hand are crucial, we need to win one of them. We’ve got some tough games but so have Newcastle and Villa. With the exception of the Arsenal match I’d say Villa have just won games that they would expect to win, their run in is just as tough as ours.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Nah I think we are going to be penalty kings and rule over Manchester. Easy peasy. Man City aren’t all that.
Charlton away, suggests to me that we're going to have to win in normal time!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
2 big games coming up now for Albion. Lose both and we will struggle to finish top 6 and out of FA Cup.
Win both and the dreams of a Europa place are still alive. I think Chelsea are there for the taking. We have stuffed Frank (and Chelsea) once this season, I am sure we will do it again

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think we need another 15 or 16 points to qualify for Europe. That's pretty doable as it's just continuing the form we've shown all season.

To win the f.a cup we need to beat:

Man Utd - doable

Man City - not very doable.

So I'd say the league is still the easier route as there is more margin for error.
Agree. Whilst we have a great chance in the semi, it's hard to see us as favourites against a United side who have won 18 of their 20 cup matches this season (only losing to Real Sociedad and drawing away at Barcelona).

16 points would be continuing at the pace we're currently at and almost guarantee 7th or above. Because of the amount of points the top two are amassing, I'd imagine 14 points would get us over the line which gives us a great chance. Wolves, Everton and Saints at home will need to be wins, but if we want/deserve to qualify, then we should be getting results in those.

The prediction model over at FiveThirtyEight says that as long as we don't slip up on the final day to Villa, 58 points will get us 7th place and a place in Europe next season. The league is the easiest route.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Im just glad we have two separate chances to try for Europe- league is absolutely our better chance but I fancy ourselves in the FA cup too. Man United will be a very tough fixture but still winnable, Man City is less likely to go our way but I think if there is one team who I reckon could take them on its us.

Of course, Sheff United could shock the entire world by doing us a favour and beat City and suddenly the path seems a lot easier.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Im just glad we have two separate chances to try for Europe- league is absolutely our better chance but I fancy ourselves in the FA cup too. Man United will be a very tough fixture but still winnable, Man City is less likely to go our way but I think if there is one team who I reckon could take them on its us.

Of course, Sheff United could shock the entire world by doing us a favour and beat City and suddenly the path seems a lot easier.
If Sheff Utd do pull of something amazing on the Saturday, then one of the biggest games in our club's recent history on the Sunday, just gets even bigger!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to the bookies, we're more likely to finish top 6 than Spurs (and Villa)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
First time we have been above spurs and Liverpool all season, and by far the lowest odds on us. God knows what top 7 odds are but would be close to 0.2/1 I would say.

Attachments

• 687E6E50-DAD8-4650-9A70-F2B5F7C53C0E.jpeg
    687E6E50-DAD8-4650-9A70-F2B5F7C53C0E.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 39

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here