Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is qualifying for Europe easier via the FA Cup now than the league?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
After all, we only need two draws and win both penalty shoot outs, whereas in the league we probably need to win 6/7 of the remaining 10 games?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Don't we qualify for the Europa League place just by being in the final as Man City will be in the Champions League (assuming of course they win their semi!)?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Don't we qualify for the Europa League place just by being in the final as Man City will be in the Champions League (assuming of course they win their semi!)?
No we don't, we need to win the cup. We can take them! (or Sheffield Utd)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Personally, I believe that Man City is the only side in the Prem that would beat us 9 times out of 10, and if we get past United, is who we would likely face in the final, so winning the FA Cup is a long shot.
Only one of the remaining league games is Man City, of the rest, we should beat 5, and we are capable of getting a couple more wins from Villa, Newcastle, Man Utd, and Arsenal.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Ah, it's only me in this forum that Brighton still can get 4th place and can play in Champions League next season :unsure:?

I'd say it's very difficult, but too early to give up. 7 wins out of 10 games = 67 points can be enough to finish in 4th;)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ah, it's only me in this forum that Brighton still can get 4th place and can play in Champions League next season :unsure:?

I'd say it's very difficult, but too early to give up. 7 wins out of 10 games = 67 points can be enough to finish in 4th;)
It is not in our hands to finish top 4 now, even if we win all remaining games, we need one of Man United or Newcastle to not just lose to us, but to lose two further games and draw one, to be just level on points. Brighton are the best side either one of them has left to face in the league, so it seems very unlikely.
5th is realistically possible and 6th is entirely in our hands.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It looks like we have two chances of the same Europa League ticket, either winning the FA Cup, or getting it handed down to our league position by a club from Manchester that is too busy with Champions League football to take it.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Definitely easier to get into Europe via the league

As a poster above has said - 10/11 to finish top 6.

But let's not forget that unless Sheffield United win the FA Cup, 7th place will get us into the Conference League. Bookies don't offer odds for the top 7, but FiveThirtyEight's simulations suggest we have an 83% chance of finishing 7th or higher. We definitely don't have an 83% chance of winning the FA Cup, sadly.

We have to trust RDZ's ability to pick the players up after the Spurs debacle, I think we'll see a big reaction against Chelsea. This is the best chance Dunk, Gross etc will ever have to play European football. They'll be up for it.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Definitely easier to get into Europe via the league

As a poster above has said - 10/11 to finish top 6.

But let's not forget that unless Sheffield United win the FA Cup, 7th place will get us into the Conference League. Bookies don't offer odds for the top 7, but FiveThirtyEight's simulations suggest we have an 83% chance of finishing 7th or higher. We definitely don't have an 83% chance of winning the FA Cup, sadly.

We have to trust RDZ's ability to pick the players up after the Spurs debacle, I think we'll see a big reaction against Chelsea. This is the best chance Dunk, Gross etc will ever have to play European football. They'll be up for it.
Does anyone know what happens if West Ham win the Conference League? Do they then take one of the Europa spots?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No. Man City would beat us 9/10 times. So def no for me. If people are really pinning hopes on winning the thing I really think they’re in for disappointment tbh. League, the way we’re playing, is a much better chance of top 7. Even with our tough fixtures and VAR playing most of them.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Does anyone know what happens if West Ham win the Conference League? Do they then take one of the Europa spots?

I’m 90% sure this is the case:

There’s an extra Europa League spot for the winners of the Conference League. So there’d be 3 English teams in the Europa League (which isn’t an issue), and still 1 place in the Conference League for an English team (League Cup winner or team finishing 7th).

I fancied us for top 4 until Saturdays robbery! Need a fair few results to go our way now and us to win several big hitters. Said before the spurs game I fancied us to win there far more than at Chelsea. Although I hope we turn Chelsea over I have a gut feeling they will turn up proper against us and turn on the style unfortunately which will all but end our top 4 chances☹️☹️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here