Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Potter 1 game away from being sacked?

Should Potter be sacked if we don’t beat Norwich?

• Don’t be silly he is doing alright

Votes: 206 84.4%
  • 7 games without a win - sack him

Votes: 38 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We signed Deniz Undav from USG in the January window (42 goals in 56 appearances for USG). Did Potter say that he didn't want him until the summer or was he told he couldn't have him?

Did Potter approve / sanction the sale of BDB mid-season and say he didn't need a replacement or a recall from loan? Or was he told that was how it was going to be.

Did Potter request / sanction the recruitment of the two sicknotes on huge wages or were they foisted upon him?

Did Potter request / sanction the loan of Scherpen leaving no real competition for Sanchez between the sticks?

If these decisions were down to Potter he should go. But I think they were more than likely imposed on him and you really can't sack the fella if he is managing the team with his hands tied behind his back.

Most likelty a bit of both Shirley? I can't believe he asked for or actively instigated all of tyhe above, having said that, what kind of manager just takes a job to not be in charge of anything ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We signed Deniz Undav from USG in the January window (42 goals in 56 appearances for USG). Did Potter say that he didn't want him until the summer or was he told he couldn't have him?

Did Potter approve / sanction the sale of BDB mid-season and say he didn't need a replacement or a recall from loan? Or was he told that was how it was going to be.

Did Potter request / sanction the recruitment of the two sicknotes on huge wages or were they foisted upon him?

Did Potter request / sanction the loan of Scherpen leaving no real competition for Sanchez between the sticks?

If these decisions were down to Potter he should go. But I think they were more than likely imposed on him and you really can't sack the fella if he is managing the team with his hands tied behind his back.

Great questions and we will probably not know the answers until Potter writes his autobiography. It is very difficult to know what to think because there is a collective responsibility for management at the club. I suppose we might get a better idea if decision making changes/improves with the departure of Ashworth.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I see there's a few muppets on here saying 'he has to go if we don't beat Norwich'. Hopefully they're back in school or getting ready for the next Palace match by now. Anyone with a proper interest in the Albion will be keenly aware that essentially Potter is leading a long term project, not a results based Football Manager scenario. Results matter, but not in isolation. Win, Lose or Draw against Norwich makes no difference to his employment status despite defeat being a hammer blow to everyone connected to the club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He’s got a brand, a style of play. Opposition managers know it and counter it. He persists because it’s his brand even though it’s not working. He won’t change. He doesn’t have the players to make a sustained effort in the EPL using this style. Tony Bloom doesn’t match the required player investment. Things are going to have to get more pragmatic from all quarters but doubt they will. Slowly but surely we’re being squeezed out of the EPL

Except that we're not being squeezed out of the EPL. Every season for the last 4 there have been 3 teams worse than us and this year looks to be no exception. The weeks we've spent in the relegation places since promotion in 2017 can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I am confident that the club have built a sound enough base with a coterie of loaned-out borderline Prem / Championship players to bounce back to the Prem should we get relegated. Indeed, the yo-yo teams like Norwich, Watford, Fulham and West Brom usually seem to do it every 2 years without the ready-made replacements.

That said, I am having my doubts about Potter. There was a time at the start of the season when he was getting the best out of every player. Now - with the exception of Cucurella - it seems every player is below their best. This has coincided with losing Burn and Ashworth.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think Potter's biggest problem with the fans is the way we play results in our away form being more impressive than our home form, but fans are judging him on what they see - which is mainly home games (lockdowns allowing). This problem is also getting worse with this season on course to be Potter's worst home record (10 goals in 15 home games is poor), although there is time to avoid that becoming the case.

Home record under Potter

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
19 5 7 7 20 27 -7 22 17th 2019/20
19 4 9 6 22 22 0 21 16th 2020/21
15 3 5 7 10 20 -10 14 17th 2021/22

Away record under Potter

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
19 4 7 8 19 27 -8 19 13th
19 5 5 9 18 24 -6 20 15th
14 4 7 3 16 16 0 19 9th

This is true. However, if people can't see beyond home form alone then I'm not sure their view should carry much weight anyway. Surely, most fans make an effort to see/follow the away games too? It's not exactly difficult these days - and there've been some top notch performances on the road. It's annoying the home games are not as good but just one of those things, which the addition of a decent finisher would more than likely solve. And I bet Graham Potter wants that striker just as much as everyone else.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
This is true. However, if people can't see beyond home form alone then I'm not sure their view should carry much weight anyway. Surely, most fans make an effort to see/follow the away games too? It's not exactly difficult these days - and there've been some top notch performances on the road. It's annoying the home games are not as good but just one of those things, which the addition of a decent finisher would more than likely solve. And I bet Graham Potter wants that striker just as much as everyone else.

The above is very a reasoned logical view of things. However most fans probably have a more instinctive gut feel, and what they see in person influences this far more than what they don't see in person. Trudging out of the Amex after a disappointing draw or defeat will have more impact than happily closing the laptop / turning off the radio following an away win.

Take it to an extreme - 19 away wins and 19 home defeats would, points wise, be an amazing season but going to the Amex would a horrible experience.

In terms of value for money on the cost of a season ticket does 10 goals after 3/4 of the season feel like good value entertainment?

I don't think Potter should be sacked but I can understand why fans are starting to get a little upset. Unfortunately when fans are upset the manager often gets the blame whether it's truly their fault or not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hyypia was taking us down to League 1 and Bloom stood by him, refusing to sack him no matter how much the fans called for it. It took Hyypia walking away. Hughton met the requirements of getting us up to the premier league and kept us up twice, and he was dumped.

I don't think we can predict what decision Bloom will make.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I see there's a few muppets on here saying 'he has to go if we don't beat Norwich'. Hopefully they're back in school or getting ready for the next Palace match by now. Anyone with a proper interest in the Albion will be keenly aware that essentially Potter is leading a long term project, not a results based Football Manager scenario. Results matter, but not in isolation. Win, Lose or Draw against Norwich makes no difference to his employment status despite defeat being a hammer blow to everyone connected to the club.

Thank god someone has the inside track on Bloom’s decision making. If we lose all of the remaining games it matters not. Because a project is a project and with 3 years remaining on Potters contract, we’ve still an excellent chance of making League 1. That’s the current plan, right?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

A 22.6% home win rate for Potter from 53 games. An overall record of 25 wins from 105 PL games.

How long does this project get? The benefit of the doubt is fading away for me. This question is being rightfully asked and shouldn’t be slandered away.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
As I said on another thread, I believe that the rot set in when Dan Ashworth resigned, followed by the sale of BDB. Whatever happened within the club as a result of these events has palpably affected the morale of the management and playing staff. One of the worst things, mentally, that can happen to a person is a shattering of their confidence and this is blatantly apparent with some of our players.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He won't get sacked until Christmas, at the earliest. The sooner we scrape over the finish line this season the sooner he can get planning for next season, which must be make or break for "the project". If the first half of next season is as awful as this season (bar the first 5 matches) Bloom will have to fire him before the January window. That presupposes Manure don't come for him in the summer (satire).

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As I said on another thread, I believe that the rot set in when Dan Ashworth resigned, followed by the sale of BDB. Whatever happened within the club as a result of these events has palpably affected the morale of the management and playing staff. One of the worst things, mentally, that can happen to a person is a shattering of their confidence and this is blatantly apparent with some of our players.

I can’t believe Ashworth leaving has much impact on the dressing room but BDB going and the subsequent injury to Webster has definitely had an impact on the way Potter likes to play.

The other thing being overlooked is both Biss and Trossard have looked disinterested and like they are just going through the motions since the Jan window shut and both had enquiries made for them. Wonder if that is related

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can’t believe Ashworth leaving has much impact on the dressing room but BDB going and the subsequent injury to Webster has definitely had an impact on the way Potter likes to play.

The other thing being overlooked is both Biss and Trossard have looked disinterested and like they are just going through the motions since the Jan window shut and both had enquiries made for them. Wonder if that is related

Roy-Hodgson-3.jpg

I guess the light at the end of the tunnel might look like this:shrug:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Except that we're not being squeezed out of the EPL. Every season for the last 4 there have been 3 teams worse than us and this year looks to be no exception. The weeks we've spent in the relegation places since promotion in 2017 can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I am confident that the club have built a sound enough base with a coterie of loaned-out borderline Prem / Championship players to bounce back to the Prem should we get relegated. Indeed, the yo-yo teams like Norwich, Watford, Fulham and West Brom usually seem to do it every 2 years without the ready-made replacements.

That said, I am having my doubts about Potter. There was a time at the start of the season when he was getting the best out of every player. Now - with the exception of Cucurella - it seems every player is below their best. This has coincided with losing Burn and Ashworth.

I think it’s a slow squeeze as you can probably expect a couple of promoted teams to go straight back down but you never know (I think the year we came up all the promoted sides stayed up). Some teams below us this year won’t be below us next year - Newcastle, Everton. Just hope we are stronger next year but big ask as expect us to be minus Trossard, Bissouma

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A 22.6% home win rate for Potter from 53 games. An overall record of 25 wins from 105 PL games.

How long does this project get? The benefit of the doubt is fading away for me. This question is being rightfully asked and shouldn’t be slandered away.

The question is rightfully asked, but on its own it’s the wrong question.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Nothing says "We don't know what's wrong" or even more damning "We know what's wrong but won't/can't fix it' than churning managers...

BSC Hertha:

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.40.33 PM.png

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Has to go if we don’t beat Norwich. The slump will be a rot. Most of our first 11 are not good enough. 3 wins at home!,,,

Isn't that an argument for sacking the first 11?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here