Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is PORTSLADE gentrifying?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Bit harsh on some of the establishments along there doing their best such as 'Seasons' Spanish restaurant, the Oriental, the Polish Cafe, even the Bystander has had a refit and upped it's game. Stones cafe as well. Some nice places to suit various tastes.

Seasons... tried it at the beginning of the summer, nothing special - not bad, but nothing special. For the price, a trip down Church Road get's you a considerably better meal IMO.

Oriental... standards have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years. Now a place to avoid. This is my biggest disappointment of all. I used to love this place.

Polish Cafe... you may well be right, not somewhere I've ever been.

Bystander... definitely not upped its game. Food now of a very low standard. I'm sure they used to use Tesco's value stuff in there before it changed, now they seem to get stock from Aldi's bins! Also, what sort of greasy spoon has a "no substitutes" policy with a full english? Really? Better off at the one on the other side of "Barclays" (adult learning centre now) or round the corner opposite the station, both much, much better.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Anyone who thinks Portslade is gentrifying should take a stroll around Tescos in Boundary Road. It is like going to the bar in the Star Wars film. Most of them wouldn't make it out of the staff canteen at any other establishment.
Until they have at least one real artisan coffee shop, no the guy at the station serving from the back of his motor doesn't count as artisan, a decent restaurant that you would actually go to if it wasn't round the corner and a gastro pub, it won't count as gentrification in my book.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anyone who thinks Portslade is gentrifying should take a stroll around Tescos in Boundary Road. It is like going to the bar in the Star Wars film. Most of them wouldn't make it out of the staff canteen at any other establishment.
Until they have at least one real artisan coffee shop, no the guy at the station serving from the back of his motor doesn't count as artisan, a decent restaurant that you would actually go to if it wasn't round the corner and a gastro pub, it won't count as gentrification in my book.

Interesting definition of gentrification. Not an impossible list to meet and things could change quite quickly.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Seasons is great. It's like Al Duomo was 20 years ago before they doubled the size of it and turned it into a club.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oriental... standards have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years. Now a place to avoid. This is my biggest disappointment of all. I used to love this place.

Used to go to Oriental quite regularly until new management took over and it became dreadful. However, Danny's just along Portland Road (I know it's Hove, but only just) has become a very able substitute.

D

Deleted member 22389

Loads of londoners are moving down this way. They can get a better deal down here. £270,000 for a house is nothing to them. They probably have money left over too. Who can blame them for wanting out, London and the surrounding areas are bursting at the seams. Another side to this too, lack of social housing is forcing people out of London and to areas like this. Sussex has got a lot busier over the last 10 years. It makes sense with the increase of migration levels to the UK. We have seen nothing yet.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
You only have to take a stroll down Boundary Road and look at the state of peoples teeth or tooth in most cases to realise most people living in Portslade are poor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The Station Road Tesco's seems to be subject to some weird by-law that means it can only trade if there is a 30 stone person outside the entrance smoking.

There's nothing wrong with Tony's coffee though. Nice brew and a good bit of banter. Not Small Batch I'll grant you.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That side of town has always confused me. What is Portslade? Is it a suburb of Brighton and Hove or its own separate thing? Is it a Town?! Portslade community college is in mile oak, isn't it? I always thought Mile Oak was part of Brighton and Hove. Is it part of Portslade instead(if Portslade isn't part of Brighton and Hove)? What about Fishersgate? Is that even a place? or just a kids football team? Southwick? Is that a town? Suburb?

The west side of Brighton and Hove is just plain confusing.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
The Station Road Tesco's seems to be subject to some weird by-law that means it can only trade if there is a 30 stone person outside the entrance smoking.

There's nothing wrong with Tony's coffee though. Nice brew and a good bit of banter. Not Small Batch I'll grant you.

Used to live down the road from Tony. His coffee has given me a kick start many a sleepy morning but small batch it ain't!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That side of town has always confused me. What is Portslade? Is it a suburb of Brighton and Hove or its own separate thing? Is it a Town?! Portslade community college is in mile oak, isn't it? I always thought Mile Oak was part of Brighton and Hove. Is it part of Portslade instead(if Portslade isn't part of Brighton and Hove)? What about Fishersgate? Is that even a place? or just a kids football team? Southwick? Is that a town? Suburb?

Portslade is it's own town because it has a different postcode (BN41) but is also part of the Brighton and Hove City Council and therefore part of the City of Brighton and Hove. Mile Oak is part of Portslade which makes it part of Brighton and Hove and yet also it's own place. PCC is now PACA and whereas you used to be given a knife at register time "just in case" you can now study to be a little businessman which is coincidentally what many inhabitants of Portslade's estates are, though not selling anything legal.

Southwick has a square and is therefore posh while Fishersgate is the little bit between Southwick and Portslade that has the highest ratio of tatoos compared to teeth on the coast road (and there's quite a bit of competition). Shoreham is nice though.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

:lolol: I feel the same about Saltdean! I'll show you round next time you're back if you like mate.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Portslade is it's own town because it has a different postcode (BN41) but is also part of the Brighton and Hove City Council and therefore part of the City of Brighton and Hove. Mile Oak is part of Portslade which makes it part of Brighton and Hove and yet also it's own place. PCC is now PACA and whereas you used to be given a knife at register time "just in case" you can now study to be a little businessman which is coincidentally what many inhabitants of Portslade's estates are, though not selling anything legal.

Southwick has a square and is therefore posh while Fishersgate is the little bit between Southwick and Portslade that has the highest ratio of tatoos compared to teeth on the coast road (and there's quite a bit of competition). Shoreham is nice though.

Lol. That's fairly accurate. Not sure about the knife bit though. PCC was always notorious as an underachieving school, but never a rough one. Most if not all the other secondary schools in the area have had more 'unpleasant' notoriety than PCC have ever had over the years

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Lol. That's fairly accurate. Not sure about the knife bit though. PCC was always notorious as an underachieving school, but never a rough one. Most if not all the other secondary schools in the area have had more 'unpleasant' notoriety than PCC have ever had over the years

As an ex-student, I can vouch for that. All of the people who wanted to do well, seemed to do so. It's just that there was quite a large number of people who didn't give a shite.

Also, one year, they were the 5th worst IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY for exam results. Think of that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As an ex-student, I can vouch for that. All of the people who wanted to do well, seemed to do so. It's just that there was quite a large number of people who didn't give a shite.

Also, one year, they were the 5th worst IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY for exam results. Think of that.

I still remember with great fondness the school panto with you guys playing during the performance. Wasn't one of you the sheriff of Nottingham? Great memories

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Oh, right. Seems simple enough...

:lolol: I feel the same about Saltdean! I'll show you round next time you're back if you like mate.

Saltdean's not a place. It's a way of life. Plus there's a sign on the coast road near the edge of Saltdean that says 'Welcome to Brighton and Hove' so clearly its an essential part of Brighton. Probably the part that gives the town its cool...

PCC is the only time I've played in a school match where there was 'crowd trouble'. Not content with heckling me from the bank behind my goal, several kids took it upon themselves to throw stones at me before upping the ante and trying to run me over on their bikes. We had a couple of 'scoombers' on the bench who didn't take too kindly to it all. Fun game.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Oh, right. Seems simple enough...

Saltdean's not a place. It's a way of life. Plus there's a sign on the coast road near the edge of Saltdean that says 'Welcome to Brighton and Hove' so clearly its an essential part of Brighton. Probably the part that gives the town its cool...

PCC is the only time I've played in a school match where there was 'crowd trouble'. Not content with heckling me from the bank behind my goal, several kids took it upon themselves to throw stones at me before upping the ante and trying to run me over on their bikes. We had a couple of 'scoombers' on the bench who didn't take too kindly to it all. Fun game.

Was that the match when Bailey got bullied all over the pitch by Terry Streeter?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I work in Norway Street, and the prices of some of the properties have shot up in the last year ( a mid terrace house near my works has just sold for £330000), but the parking is a nightmare.

Properties in Norway Street and St Andrews Road have gone up in price by as much as 40k in the last six months. Most of the houses in these streets are Victorian with plenty of period features and attractive to young families. Those that can't afford Hove are happy to look in South Portslade area. Its an area I know and love well and will always stick up for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here