Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m quite surprised that portslade is considered so low down on the where to live pecking order . Given the property prices in the area & im talking specifically around the high street and all the roads off it , it’s got lots of Edwardian houses most not big but big enough for an average buyer on a budget at around 1400-1500 sq feet . Lots of shops ( some useful some not so ) cafes mixed , quick access to portslade railway station , short walk to seafront . Easy to get into central Brighton & very close to central Hove .

For me this area is a far better place to live than Woodingdean , Saltdean , Peacehaven etc as these places all feel very isolated .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Positives:
Stanley Arms
Danglers - make sure your host family are members.
Wish Park cafe
Beach and prom

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Wish Park is in Hove, strike that one, and surely the only actual beach in Portslade is the section in front of FBS’s house?

Btw they love their BN41 postcode down on millionaires row [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Hmm... tbf the host families seems to be more spread out, the only thing is that everyone is "within 25 minutes of walk from a bus going to Portslade" so I might not have to live in Portslade itself.

But I get the general impression, behind those careful words, that Portslade may not be fantastic.

I used to ‘host’ students from this school as I live about 10 mins walk away. The school is set near Portslade village where there are buses into Brighton every 7/8 mins.
It’s about a 15 minute walk and you’re up on the South Downs. There are some seedier parts of Portslade but some areas, very nice. (Benfield Way). Easy to get to the Amex using Seagull Travel.
It’s very central, sea front, the Downs and near to town. Hove being within walking distance.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Beware the moon. Stay on the path.
CB1D0A11-3EDE-4FCD-A553-0DE3D539C95B.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Used to be a bit shit - now it is a bit better but full of people that pretend they are from Brighton

The lowest of all the low blows.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Near enough to Shoreham to enjoy good pubs, good walking and choice of eateries.

If you get a Stagecoach Mega-rider Gold ticket for £23.70 you can travel all over West Sussex and into Brighton on the Stagecoach busses for a week. The 700 will take you all along the coast.

You can also stroll up to The Downs very quickly and drop down into other areas.

Portslade itself has very limited potential for entertainment but the surrounding areas are very nice.

Have a great time.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Is Portslade any fun?

I have NEVER seen the words Portslade and fun in the same sentence before and frankly I doubt it will ever happen again in my lifetime.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Think of Portslade just as a suburb of Brighton.

Get lost....

Portslade is the other side of Hove from Brighton, we are not responsible for Portslade, think of Portslade like an unwanted step child of Hove, the one that gets left behind at school, sniffs glue and wears hand me down flares.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Okay, I'm going to buck the trend and completely back Portslade here...

1. Football
Mile Oak FC play in the Sussex County Leagues, while you have Victoria Park, Greenleas Park all hosting grass roots football.

2. Drinking
Portslade Village includes 2 pubs to enjoy a selection of real ales, while Boundary Road has The Railway which does great food and drink, and micro brewery The Foghorn (run by Albion fans). There are other pubs but they're a bit meh...

3. Smoking
It's not Amsterdam...

4. Women
See 3.

5. Walking
Portslade directly links to the South Downs via Hangleton, Benfield Valley, and Mile Oak. You can be up at Devil's Dyke in a brisk 45min walk. It's a great location to explore what the South Downs have to offer. You also have the Coast Way walk that can take you right along the coast from Rottingdean to Chichester.

Hope that helps.

What Bold Seagull has failed to mention is that The Foghorn has a weird "no Swedish" rule which they enforce regularly with Staffordshire Bull Terriers, baseball bats and big knives.

:moo:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm thinking about doing this thing - https://www.folkhogskola-england.se/ - studying on a "folk high school", three months in Sweden and three months (28 March to June something) in Portslade. While it says it is only 8 minutes by train from Brighton (and one hour from London but who wants to go there?), if I know myself correctly I'll primarly spend my days within walking distance, meaning the joys of Portslade would be important.

My primary hobbies include:
- Football
- Drinking
- Smoking all sorts of things (not massively important but a plus)
- Women
- Walking in nature

So basically I'm wondering if there is any local football team there? Any good pubs? Are people in Portslade the... smoking kind of people? Are the ladies nice? Is there some good parks and other recreational areas?
There's a great Aldi in Portslade.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What Bold Seagull has failed to mention is that The Foghorn has a weird "no Swedish" rule which they enforce regularly with Staffordshire Bull Terriers, baseball bats and big knives.

:moo:
One must keep ones standards up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some pros and cons it seems... if it wasnt for the pandemic I would have easily gone... difficult to decide now but I have a few days to make a choice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Would be quite funny to see you and Swans happily laughing and chewing the fat sat outside the Fog with a pint of stoat's anus hair juice.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Near enough to Shoreham to enjoy good pubs, good walking and choice of eateries.

If you get a Stagecoach Mega-rider Gold ticket for £23.70 you can travel all over West Sussex and into Brighton on the Stagecoach busses for a week. The 700 will take you all along the coast.

You can also stroll up to The Downs very quickly and drop down into other areas.

Portslade itself has very limited potential for entertainment but the surrounding areas are very nice.

Have a great time.

Mega-rider Gold sounds far too exciting to be a bus ticket...

You're selling the area covered a little short though - that badboy will get you as far as Salisbury or Newbury!

MRG.png

With regards to the OP, my advice (if it's possible - are you tied to staying with host families?) would be to find a place in Hove or Brighton itself and get the bus to Portslade for PACA. You might as well enjoy your time over here if you come and I get the impression you'll find the city more to your liking than the suburbs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You're selling the area covered a little short though - that badboy will get you as far as Salisbury or Newbury!

View attachment 143468

With regards to the OP, my advice (if it's possible - are you tied to staying with host families?) would be to find a place in Hove or Brighton itself and get the bus to Portslade for PACA. You might as well enjoy your time over here if you come and I get the impression you'll find the city more to your liking than the suburbs.

Yeah, it does go all over. The issue is that when those busses veer off the coast road they go all round the houses. Can take hours to get to anywhere worthwhile inland. Train or car hire is the better option if one plans to make inroads.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

View attachment 143468

Nope, website says it is almost always cheaper though. £142 per week with one meal a day included with the family (tbf I could probably imagine paying a bit more to be allowed to eat by myself in my room..).

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Buses, walking?!?! Surely you'll be carried around on a litter borne by an elite band of NSC veterans?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Nope, website says it is almost always cheaper though. £142 per week with one meal a day included with the family (tbf I could probably imagine paying a bit more to be allowed to eat by myself in my room..).

Pizza delivery vehicles are on standby awaiting you. Don't forget to recycle the boxes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pizza delivery vehicles are on standby awaiting you. Don't forget to recycle the boxes.

I've heard from British students over here that pizza over there is both quite expensive and usually not very good. Think I'd generally go for more British food if I stayed there a few months, part of the experience is to adapt to the culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here