Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar getting the support he deserves/needs from above?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems that Gus had the chat ambition charisma call it what you will to get players to sign for him, something that Oscar either lacks or is deprived of using.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So you've included Lopez as a flop - who was here last season. Don't see how you can pin that on Burke then if all the good stuff was down to Gus before.

As for March and Ince, isn't the idea to bring players through that are good enough for the first team? So they haven't really 'saved us'. They've just made it harder to bring new blood in because it's unlikely there are many established players around that would merit vastly higher wages than that pair. Is Burke just supposed to pretend the youngsters don't exist and hinder their development by blocking their path into the side?

I would say that Burkes job is to provide the manager with the players to make us a force in the division. The fact that he hasn't done that IMO and the injuries have meant that players such as Ince have been blooded arguably more quickly than was planned - so 'yes' they have saved us. The development squad should complement the first team squad not make it reliant on it.

Lopez was out of contract and according to his tweets and Argus 'goodbye', had no plans to sign, therefore I think its fair to say Burke re-signed him. Although he was better last season he really wasn't that good and went missing in the play-offs.

Yes, we remain on the fringes of the play-off's but that has little to do with any signings since Poyet left.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It seems that Gus had the chat ambition charisma call it what you will to get players to sign for him, something that Oscar either lacks or is deprived of using.

Or that Poyet is better known in this country through his playing career exploits whereas OG is someone who, despite playing for Barca, may not be that well known so therefore less of a draw.

Also, if we currently occupied a play-off spot, then i think that would help attract loan players in, but due to the early set back through injuries, our league position has suffered (no blame on OG here) - Lets hope that our returning players can make the difference without having to rely on more loanees (which would be better for the club financially)

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Upson still signed for Poyet though and sorry I disagree about the manager not being a factor, I think it is a massive factor as he plays and trains for that guy, not for any Director of Football David Burke types.

Well if I understand what Upson is saying correctly he didnt sign for Poyet he signed for brighton. Burke, Tony, whatever manager, the supporters, the ground etc...are all factors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here