Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is OG brave enough to drop GG. Does he need to? Who comes in?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
AEA is an good championship level centerback, I don't understand how that is a depth issue.

It's a depth issue because other than AEA there is no one else. Therefore only having 3 centre backs when one is in shocking form is a depth issue. Unless you think 3 is plenty?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok I will bow to your highlights as I don't have any.

I am saying Greer should be dropped. Because he has been consistently poor. I believe part off this is the absence of Bridcutt. He shields him with his break up of play and gets the ball off him so Greer doesn't need to hit it long. In short he's more exposed and now looks more limited. Greer's positional sense is up the spout and that isn't Bridcutts absence. Get El Abd in.

Greer runs towards the wednesday player, then makes himself small and lets him run past and cross to fryatt. Also, the commentator refers to Ulloa as Barnes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Greer and El-Abd for Yeovil. Upson has been the weak link for the last few games. He was poor today, but everyone can use the third goal as a stick to beat Greer with. He was far superior to Upson, who has looked pretty poor so far this season overall.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's a depth issue because other than AEA there is no one else. Therefore only having 3 centre backs when one is in shocking form is a depth issue. Unless you think 3 is plenty?

Calderon can deputise and Maksimenko mainly plays CB for the U21s doesn't he?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Calderon can deputise and Maksimenko mainly plays CB for the U21s doesn't he?

Oh yes how silly of me. Our RB who struggles at RB can cover at CB and maksimenko who is league 1 at best. What depth we have. You need to take off those rose tinted glasses

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
GG must have a water tight contract! Watch seagulls player highlights from last season, he's at fault for many of our conceded goals. Time to give AEA a go IMO :)

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
when he is isolated one on one with the opposition striker Greer has let himself down this season. His main strengths are his distribution and reading of the game.
At the moment his passing seems to be off and he keeps being dragged out of position. I think he is also partly responsible for us defending so deep as both him and Upson lack any real pace. I can't abide his ranting at other players when he makes a mistake. He seems quick to admonish and highlight others failings. This can't make for a popular captain.
Having said this I actually think he is too integral to the way we play to be dropped. The fact that he makes Upson look cumbersome and sloppy with his passing shows how good he really is on the ball for a CB. Its the defensive aspects of his game that worry me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Greer and El-Abd for Yeovil. Upson has been the weak link for the last few games. He was poor today, but everyone can use the third goal as a stick to beat Greer with. He was far superior to Upson, who has looked pretty poor so far this season overall.

Completely disagree. Upson made an error versus Sheff Wed, for 5 of the last 6 (Bolton the exception) games now Greer has been poor. Yesterday, both Greer and Upson's distribution was poor mainly because they were put under pressure by Forest pressing.

Upson saved us numerous times yesterday, one particular instance was a cross where he glanced it away from an on-rushing forward. Whilst your continued defence of Greer is commendable and overall he has been quite steady until fairly recently, he is beginning to get caught out more and is off-form. However, that said, in fairness to Greer he is so exposed by the lack of capability of our right back that any shortcomings are being exposed more regularly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What makes you say that, out of interest?

It's interesting what constitutes a good captain. Greer for me is not and has never been a good captain. Compare him to Horton, who was a very limited player but was a man mountain as a captain. Foster and Wilson were good but Greer doesn't appear to lead on the pitch. He certainly doesn't get a positive reaction from those around him when the chips are down.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's interesting what constitutes a good captain. Greer for me is not and has never been a good captain. Compare him to Horton, who was a very limited player but was a man mountain as a captain. Foster and Wilson were good but Greer doesn't appear to lead on the pitch. He certainly doesn't get a positive reaction from those around him when the chips are down.

I think its mainly due to the fact that Greer rarely encourages and just moans.... I think captain wise he's ok, but probably not in the top 20 all-time Brighton ones from a motivational perspective.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Greer is a bit lead footed and vulnerable when the opposition play very directly at him, he was left for dead when sidestepped by McGoldrick at Ipswich for their 2nd goal. I recall Leicester sussed out that if they ganged up on Greer he gets flustered.

I'm not sure that Oscar will drop GG although AEA ought to get a run out sometime. It's a pity that Dunk hasn't developed a bit more, maybe his loan spell will do him and us a favour.

The Ref yesterday didn't do GG any favours by penalising him for what seemed like a brilliant tackle in the first half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here