Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Murray Efficient or Lazy?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Don't worry he'll be off soon enough to a team at a higher level that plays to his strengths. Guaranteed we'll turn a good profit on him too and maybe we can buy a couple of donkeys that run around like headless chcikens but are "crowd pleasers".
It does my head in that people are calling him lazy. Like you say, just because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken people mistake it for lack of effort. The bloke has a knack for getting into goal scoring positions, that is instinct and you can't coach it. I've got no doubt that he'll be banging in the goals next season, people need to realise that he isn't a workhorse and get off his back.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
It does my head in that people are calling him lazy. Like you say, just because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken people mistake it for lack of effort.

I don't see how anybody can possibly argue that not running where and when you should be isn't a lack of effort. Yes he scored yesterday but what did he actually have to do? Nod it in the net from a few yards out? To me his body language shows that at times he just can't be arsed to get into space or run onto balls, hence the amount of times he's offside. He cant be bothered to even run back onside and stands there waiting for the ball to be played to him, and when it is, he's offside.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
He is quality, a goal and assist yesterday on an otherwise average performance amongst a team who were well off colour. He is going to be a player who may go missing in some games but he has a good touch, sets up goals and scores too. With Forster we have a proper pair of strikers who are going to form a productive partnership. We've moved up a level with Murray in terms of quality against a player who runs endlessly but may not have the ability we require. Sadly as has been said already, some people think not running and running and running means not trying.

Learn people he is not going to do that but he will provide assists and goals.

Yesterday was a blip, Tuesday is huge and the players will be fired up especially knowing they let themselves down yesterday. Things are on the up and I feel very positive about the future of this team.

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
He had better be efficient or everyone who questioned sir Richard of Knights claims & intentions in January concerning Hammond etc would actually have been proved right. Would they not?

removes tongue from cheek

Lush

Mods' Pet
The trouble is, he chases after the ball but never looks as if he expects to get there before the defender. Maybe he's giving League One too much respect? He also doesn't seem to be looking for the second ball once he's made a pass, but often just stands and watches rather than rushing in. He badly needs to sharpen up - although perhaps he is just lacking in confidence. Or maybe he's not arrogant enough to be a good striker?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't see how anybody can possibly argue that not running where and when you should be isn't a lack of effort. Yes he scored yesterday but what did he actually have to do? Nod it in the net from a few yards out? To me his body language shows that at times he just can't be arsed to get into space or run onto balls, hence the amount of times he's offside. He cant be bothered to even run back onside and stands there waiting for the ball to be played to him, and when it is, he's offside.
But that's the type of player he is. He isn't a striker who chases through balls in the way that michael owen would. He needs the ball is played into his feet where he can hold it up and lay it off to the wingers.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's a tricky one really, because we haven't really had him long enough to make an informed decision, but from what I've seen so far he looks like a player with a lot of talent.

He has a good first touch, and has that amazing ability to find time and space in a position where others look hurried. But that ability gives you a player who doesn't need to charge around the field covering every blade of grass, instead they saunter a little, swagger even. Work-rate isn't their key trait, and therefore when it's not going their way the mentality of the fans over in this country is to criticise that sort of player, and accuse them of not trying.

That's why why players like Stan Bowles, Matt Le Tissier and Rodney Marsh ended up with a handful of International caps between them, and why we never simply built a team around Glenn Hoddle.

I think he has a lot of talent, and we just have to accept that the work-rate of Alex Revell or Gary Hart is not what you'll get from Glenn. But overall he will win you far more games, and at a higher level.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
It's a tricky one really, because we haven't really had him long enough to make an informed decision, but from what I've seen so far he looks like a player with a lot of talent.

He has a good first touch, and has that amazing ability to find time and space in a position where others look hurried. But that ability gives you a player who doesn't need to charge around the field covering every blade of grass, instead they saunter a little, swagger even. Work-rate isn't their key trait, and therefore when it's not going their way the mentality of the fans over in this country is to criticise that sort of player, and accuse them of not trying.

That's why why players like Stan Bowles, Matt Le Tissier and Rodney Marsh ended up with a handful of International caps between them, and why we never simply built a team around Glenn Hoddle.

I think he has a lot of talent, and we just have to accept that the work-rate of Alex Revell or Gary Hart is not what you'll get from Glenn. But overall he will win you far more games, and at a higher level.

Normally I would agree with you - it used to annoy me when people criticised Paul Brooker for his work rate when he provided much of the creative spark of the team. But I was very disappointed wih Murray's performance yesterday. At times, he was positively ambling round the pitch and let himself get shrugged off the ball far too easily. Perhaps he should get some coaching from John Byrne. He was a class act with a sublime touch, but he worked his socks off and was second to none in holding th ball up. The failure to get hold of the ball up front and in midfield simply put more pressure on what was already a vulnerable defence yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here