[Albion] Is Maupay any better than Sam Baldock

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not convinced he’s going to be good. There is a growing band of us who think he could be great.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Gotta admit, Maupay was different gravy today! Three month break and puts in a shift like that with a 95th minute winner. And an equally as excellent post-match interview. Love the man!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Gotta admit, Maupay was different gravy today! Three month break and puts in a shift like that with a 95th minute winner. And an equally as excellent post-match interview. Love the man!

His engine is something else. And he'd completely recovered by the time he was interviewed, which wasn't too long after the game finished. He even managed to fit in a bit of needle in the interim.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not convinced he’s going to be good. There is a growing band of us who think he could be great.

I got slated on here for comparing him with Brentford’s top boy in another thread later on so I m glad Machiavelli gave me a thumps up ta........:D

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I do think we should shop more in the Championship - proven players at that level ,like Maupay , can thrive in the Prem.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Murray is the perfect example of how a career in Championship up to late 20's is no barrier to success at Premier League level

Maupay from championship is proving far better business than several buys from the smaller European leagues

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maupay seems the sort of player who you love at your club and everyone hates when he's playing against your club.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That is debatable, but what it's debatable is whether Maupay is better than Baldock. It's obvious.

He's just got a goal and an assist against a 'top six' club.
This was his second winner against this 'top six' club.
That takes him up to nine, 30 games of the season, and he hasn't started all of those. Many are fond of banging on about Murray's return. Well, Maupay is on target to reach Murray's goalscoring feats in both of his PL seasons.
And this despite scoring from fewer penalties than Murray.
Maupay has a simply fantastic engine. He was going on 40/50 yard intensive sprints even in added time.
Maupay is much quicker than both Barnes and Murray.
Maupay's all-round forward play is more versatile than both Barnes and Murray, expanding our options of how we play, making him a perfect Potter forward.
Maupay's done all this at the age of 23, three-quarters of the way through his first season in the PL.

It's fairly clear to me that Maupay is MILES better than Barnes, and likely to get better too.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Loved his post-match interview, we need his character and personality, says how he feels and didn't speak in cliches

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maupay seems the sort of player who you love at your club and everyone hates when he's playing against your club.

I thought he was great today, Maupay - Bissouma - Dunk were an awesome spine through that team. He was a threat throughout, some nice interplay, came short and held it well, always finding spaces to receive the ball. Hopefully a little run of goals for him now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And Adam Webster made a wonderful last-ditch goal saving tackle in one of his best performances for us.

He did. In my view, Webster is our most underrated player. There are two reasons for this. First, he makes mistakes. Second, he's keeping Duffy out, our PotS from last season, and a no-nonsense defender that deserves to be starting in the PL, but ...
... Dunk and Duffy are slow. They're great backs-to-the-wall defenders in a deep-lying defence, but we can't have that combination when we defend higher up the pitch. As that tackle shows, Webster has got pace, that was against Lacazatte, one of the quicker PL forwards. He's also much better on the ball than Duffy, and can carry the ball out of defence. Although not that tall, he's a threat at set pieces too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought he was great today, Maupay - Bissouma - Dunk were an awesome spine through that team. He was a threat throughout, some nice interplay, came short and held it well, always finding spaces to receive the ball. Hopefully a little run of goals for him now.

Bissouma was something else today, and has been great of late. The following kind of line-up appeals for next season:

----------------- Ryan ---------------------------
Lamptey Webster White Dunk Bernardo
----- Propper --- Bissouma --- Alzate ----
---------- Mac Allister --------------------------
----------------Maupay --------------------------

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports