Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Maupay any better than Sam Baldock

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maupay is starting to look very Andone(ish) with his ineffective influence he's had on games so far. Connolly already looks hungrier, more fearless and is prepared to carry the ball, something we've yet to see Maupay do. Connolly has to be considered our first choice striker right now. Maupay hasn't shown enough yet for me to think we've made a good signing, and from what Andone offered (which was very little), I'm not too hopeful Maupay will offer any more.

Still yet to sign a better centre forward than the ones we signed for 100k from Bristol Rovers and £300k from Rochdale

In comparison to Andone, so far Maupay hasn't elbowed his marker, or kicked an opposing forward in an attempt to end their career, and therefore hasn't been suspended for games.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
From watching him at Brentford most of his goals came from cutbacks or low crosses into him in the box. We have not had much of that so far this season which is why he is being limited with chances. His work rate is very impressive though and a real nuisance for the back 4 just need to get the wingers higher up the pitch to get the ball into him

KoreanSeagull

Dec 1, 2019
Not North
I am a korean, and thank you guys for noticing me Maupay is way up top

but I just thought baldock wouldve chipped in more than 2 in the same condition, not considering other aspects

probably I shouldnt have used the word any better on the title sry for that

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He might not be 25 times better but yes he is a little better and has more potential.

I think Connolly will pass him though, cause him so have a sulk, and go the same way as all our strikers in 'recent' times.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Maupay is starting to look very Andone(ish) with his ineffective influence he's had on games so far. Connolly already looks hungrier, more fearless and is prepared to carry the ball, something we've yet to see Maupay do. Connolly has to be considered our first choice striker right now. Maupay hasn't shown enough yet for me to think we've made a good signing, and from what Andone offered (which was very little), I'm not too hopeful Maupay will offer any more.

Still yet to sign a better centre forward than the ones we signed for 100k from Bristol Rovers and £300k from Rochdale

Yes those figures present the irony. Sadly, 20 million doesn't necessarily buy you a top striker for PL matches, crazy as it sounds. Maupay seems a willing runner and I applaud his work-rate, but am not sure that he is the answer up front. I can't see him being anywhere near the 20 goals a season striker, and probably not even 10. Hope that I am wrong, though!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yes those figures present the irony. Sadly, 20 million doesn't necessarily buy you a top striker for PL matches, crazy as it sounds. Maupay seems a willing runner and I applaud his work-rate, but am not sure that he is the answer up front. I can't see him being anywhere near the 20 goals a season striker, and probably not even 10. Hope that I am wrong, though!

There are only 3 or 4 players who actually can score 20 in a season at this level.

Can’t see us ever having one.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There are only 3 or 4 players who actually can score 20 in a season at this level.

If we ever did have a 20 goal a season striker we wouldn't have him for long that is certain. More than 10 goals a season and you are almost knocking on the door of the top 10 scorers list (Murray has actually finished joint 10th the last 2 seasons with 12 and 13 goals).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maupay will turn out to be a good Premier League striker though I believe Potter wants something heavier up front in the future. Could see Maupay end up playing as a winger.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I take your point, but as far as your final sentence is concerned, I wouldn't call Maupay an out and out striker, more of a wide player really who drifts inside, so probably unfair to compare him with Barnes or Murray.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, true. I think I meant it more as the usual cliché, but would hope that he might reach 10, though have my doubts. As stated, I do admire his running, which reminds me of Mikhail-Smith, but we need goals not just runners.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that he looked as if to improve our scoring chances over Connolly yesterday. I think that generally he looks lively but as I have said I think he needs too many chances, which a striker doesnt get in The Premier as they have to make their own chances.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I am a korean, and thank you guys for noticing me Maupay is way up top

but I just thought baldock wouldve chipped in more than 2 in the same condition, not considering other aspects

probably I shouldnt have used the word any better on the title sry for that

Don't be sorry, it's a very good question. I always thought it was a huge shame that Sam didn't get his chance in the Premier League. He scored some absolutely phenomenal goals in our promotion year. I'll never forget his screamer at home against QPR - and I wasn't even there to witness it in person!

We'll probably never know. I like Maupay's work rate but really do think we'd benefit from Murray and Connolly starting together.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I know he is contributing to the team in many ways,, but Baldock would've scored more than 2 proper field goals If he had that chance

and he dosen't cost 20m!

Still needs more time but I just don't think he is ready for the leap

Field goals you say? I think we have kicking the ball over the bar covered with Stevens and Propper.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think he’s been a good signing and has done well :shrug: Great movement and hold up play. Finishing not quite up to the standard we want but that will come.

Ps - please don’t use the term ‘field goal’ ever again in life :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here