Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Maupay any better than Sam Baldock

KoreanSeagull

Dec 1, 2019
Not North
I know he is contributing to the team in many ways,, but Baldock would've scored more than 2 proper field goals If he had that chance

and he dosen't cost 20m!

Still needs more time but I just don't think he is ready for the leap

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Sam Baldock was often injured and unavailable (still is) so Maupay is better in that respect alone.

A real shame as Sam deserved his shot on the biggest stage but alas it wasn't to be...

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I know he is contributing to the team in many ways,, but Baldock would've scored more than 2 proper field goals If he had that chance

and he dosen't cost 20m!

Still needs more time but I just don't think he is ready for the leap

Sam has scored a couple for Reading in the Championship this year but I doubt if GP would be interested in a swop !!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
About the same I think. Baldock was also a big scorer in the championship.

Two championship players.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Maupay is starting to look very Andone(ish) with his ineffective influence he's had on games so far. Connolly already looks hungrier, more fearless and is prepared to carry the ball, something we've yet to see Maupay do. Connolly has to be considered our first choice striker right now. Maupay hasn't shown enough yet for me to think we've made a good signing, and from what Andone offered (which was very little), I'm not too hopeful Maupay will offer any more.

Still yet to sign a better centre forward than the ones we signed for 100k from Bristol Rovers and £300k from Rochdale

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It’s still early, and he keeps getting game time, but so far he still needs to become a top flight striker. But he is going to get time to do so, and I really hope he does.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He is stronger than Baldock and very good at using his body against defenders to make space. Often he makes intelligent runs and very often isn't picked out, so maybe it's a midfield problem. I've noticed a few times him delaying his run, especially with Solly, expecting a little through ball, then screaming for the pass to come and then for some inexplicable reason Solly stops and passes sideways. His finishing needs improvement but he's still youngish. It's his first Premier league season. Let's not give up on him yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah the customary 'must score every chance and half chance or he's shitehouse' thread.

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
About the same I think. Baldock was also a big scorer in the championship.

Two championship players.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Baldock has never scored big in the Championship. Even in his best season (our promotion season) he only got 11. If you actually compare their scoring records in the Championship, Maupay has scored twice as many as Baldock in roughly the same amount of appearances (18 in 81 for Baldock at BHAFC, 37 in 85 for Maupay).

Worth factoring in that Maupay is SEVEN years younger than Baldock too. I know fans expect miracles instantly but Maupay is only 23, and despite criticism from some is still our top scorer this season. Has he been amazing this season? No, but he's chipped in and is doing a solid job.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sam Baldock was often injured and unavailable (still is) so Maupay is better in that respect alone.

A real shame as Sam deserved his shot on the biggest stage but alas it wasn't to be...

This is about the sum total Baldock was a fine player for us scored some very classy goals cut short through a series of injuries

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
[MENTION=40655]KoreanSeagull[/MENTION] Are you a Korean Brighton fan or an Englishman living in Korea?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Baldock has never scored big in the Championship. Even in his best season (our promotion season) he only got 11. If you actually compare their scoring records in the Championship, Maupay has scored twice as many as Baldock in roughly the same amount of appearances (18 in 81 for Baldock at BHAFC, 37 in 85 for Maupay).

Worth factoring in that Maupay is SEVEN years younger than Baldock too. I know fans expect miracles instantly but Maupay is only 23, and despite criticism from some is still our top scorer this season. Has he been amazing this season? No, but he's chipped in and is doing a solid job.

No comparison- Maupay miles better finisher than Baldrick who was very hit n miss in championship

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here