Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Manu worth a start on Sat?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Best player on the pitch for us until substituted

And so he should have been if he wants to play for the first team. Given he was playing for our second string team against their second string team. I do think he is progressing and if he consistently starts to play well when and if he gets opportunities from the bench then that's the time to start him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. The sooner we stop fannying around and stick with what is proven to work (i.e. Skalak, Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert, Baldock and Hemed) the better.
Pretty much this - we know Baldock and Hemed is an effective combination. However, we got Murray in, perceived by many to be basically a 'better Hemed'. Baldock and Hemed have had very little time together as a front two, so maybe start with Murray and Baldock for a game or two, to see if they can form a even more effective partnership.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Completely missing Lua Lua. Manu is good though but not as a forward as constantly offside so the wing is the place for him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Someone more clever than me made a good point about Manu on this board.
That he's not an out and out striker and not a wideman. He's a left hand side man in a 4-3-3, which we don't play. So that's why he has done well at other clubs and sort of looks decent (compared to Baldock anyway) for us, without ever really fitting in or convincing.
Good player, wrong club.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Back to basics please.
Hemed and Baldock upfront, Knocky and Skalak on the wings with Stephens and Kayal in midfield. Duffy for Goldson and that's it. That team did wonders last year. And if it's not going right, we can bring on Murray, or even Manu!?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No. The sooner we stop fannying around and stick with what is proven to work (i.e. Skalak, Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert, Baldock and Hemed) the better.

Yes, what you say is very true, but that was last season, and this is this. Players are only as good as their last game. Their is a genuine lack of goals across the team at the moment, and another thing that I think is missing, is genuine pace in the wide areas.

Perhaps Elvis can provide that, he must be just about the quickest player on our books. Skalak and Murphy have been woefully underperforming of late, and I really think it's time to give the Dutchman his head. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but until we try, we will never really know. With his performances in the cup games this season he has certainly earned his chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Way I see it is we've got two exotic could-be-anything players in Skalak and Manu. Neither installs any kind of confidence. Both are flakey. Both look like football tourists. If we start with BOTH of them at any point, I'll just assume that the manager is completely bereft of any ideas before January that will get us anywhere near top six let alone top two. And that's focusing on the bit-part players, and ignoring the failure of Hemed to score thus far from open play and Baldock likewise, pathetically quibbling over an own goal aside. If you're any way sane it Just Won't Do :nono:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Completely missing Lua Lua. Manu is good though but not as a forward as constantly offside so the wing is the place for him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another one's at it. Can you inform us how many times and when Elvis has been offside this season. You're not the first on here I've asked, but you might be the first to provide an answer. You can even attempt to be accurate, and show us how you've worked it out. I'm just interested, because I suspect the answer is once or twice. I also suspect that he's offside less frequently (i.e. number of offsides vs minutes on pitch) than some of our other forwards. But, note, these are only suspicions. You, at the very least, might want to retract your claim that Manu is "constantly offside". I'm not even sure what that could amount to.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Another one's at it. Can you inform us how many times and when Elvis has been offside this season. You're not the first on here I've asked, but you might be the first to provide an answer. You can even attempt to be accurate, and show us how you've worked it out. I'm just interested, because I suspect the answer is once or twice. I also suspect that he's offside less frequently (i.e. number of offsides vs minutes on pitch) than some of our other forwards. But, note, these are only suspicions. You, at the very least, might want to retract your claim that Manu is "constantly offside". I'm not even sure what that could amount to.

If he was 'constantly' offside, there wouldn't be a game of football. It would never re-start.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We could have an extended discussion about this. NSC is good at such things or, at least, a good place for such things. I'd say that the opposition could re-start (while Manu remains offside).
Only the opposition would be allowed to kick the ball forwards.
Unless Elvis remained off side down one wing, and the rest of the team only attacked down the other.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Only the opposition would be allowed to kick the ball forwards.
Unless Elvis remained off side down one wing, and the rest of the team only attacked down the other.

So effectively the Albion could still play, just as long as Manu was never passed to, or he was deemed to be interfering with play. We would just have ten players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So effectively the Albion could still play, just as long as Manu was never passed to, or he was deemed to be interfering with play. We would just have ten players.
I guess someone would have to push Manu back into our half after each goal, but in theory yes.

He'd struggle to be offside at corners, but in this situation it would seem nothing is impossible for the lad.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think its great to watch.....a player so unpredictable that even he doesn't know ,what happens next......IMO we will soon want him in the team !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here