Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 14, 2010
"BHA on the whole have very well behaved supporters... ? "

You must be joking and if you think that then that will be news to Palace, Pompey, Chesterfield, Brentford, Aldershot, Oxford, Southend, Orient, Bournemouth, Leeds, Spurs, Arsenal, Lincoln, Chelsea, Cardiff, Luton, West Ham and the list goes on and on and on and on! Brighton never were well behaved either at home or away from home

As for this thread, well another case of "look at me, I'm so cutting edge" thread from NSC. If you dont like it, dont go, but dont tell others what to say, do or think.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
"BHA on the whole have very well behaved supporters... ? "

You must be joking and if you think that then that will be news to Palace, Pompey, Chesterfield, Brentford, Aldershot, Oxford, Southend, Orient, Bournemouth, Leeds, Spurs, Arsenal, Lincoln, Chelsea, Cardiff, Luton, West Ham and the list goes on and on and on and on! Brighton never were well behaved either at home or away from home

As for this thread, well another case of "look at me, I'm so cutting edge" thread from NSC. If you dont like it, dont go, but dont tell others what to say, do or think.

Whilst we have some "right tasty geezers" on the whole we do not have a major hooligan problem,not to say we cannot or have not caused problem or for that matter stood our ground.

what about the last game at the Goldstone(not the very last game)v Cardiff in 1997 running battles in Hove park for almost an hour involving 500 fans.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

Yep, I've already sent flowers as a peace offering.

Feb 14, 2010
Whilst we have some "right tasty geezers" on the whole we do not have a major hooligan problem,not to say we cannot or have not caused problem or for that matter stood our ground.

what about the last game at the Goldstone(not the very last game)v Cardiff in 1997 running battles in Hove park for almost an hour involving 500 fans.

Brighton always had a major hooligan problem, not sure about now as its died down everywhere but I can only speak from what I have seen and I will just mention riots and serious trouble caused by Brighton at places like Palace, Pompey, Chesterfield, Aldershot, well see the list above. Brighton always had a hooligan problem. Only to be expected when you think of a fan base from the run down areas in the coastal towns and ports as well as Brighton itself. Sometimes I read things posted on NSC and wonder what a one eyed planet that some people live on.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
9 pages and still going strong-seems a controversial thread or at least one that generates interest,why would that be i wonder.

Feb 14, 2010
9 pages and still going strong-seems a controversial thread or at least one that generates interest,why would that be i wonder.

Because attention seeking headline seeking threads attract attention. Sort of like tabloid journalism on Talk Shite or The Sun or The Mirror. Start a thread like "Why are man U our rivals because they ar 30 miles away on a Scouse forum and you would get the same reaction

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brighton always had a major hooligan problem, not sure about now as its died down everywhere but I can only speak from what I have seen and I will just mention riots and serious trouble caused by Brighton at places like Palace, Pompey, Chesterfield, Aldershot, well see the list above. Brighton always had a hooligan problem. Only to be expected when you think of a fan base from the run down areas in the coastal towns and ports as well as Brighton itself. Sometimes I read things posted on NSC and wonder what a one eyed planet that some people live on.

Well,300 went on the rampage in 1985 at Selhurst (a Palace fan was stabbed),42 were arrested at Brentford in 1987, when all 4 pubs were smashed up,Arsenal said we were game as in 1988,Pompey away in the early 90's saw us having running battles in an evening game,with Brighton starting the chasing(that i have witnessed).

Even in the late 70's Lancing and H Heath used to battle and so forth..

But that was common place back then

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Because attention seeking headline seeking threads attract attention. Sort of like tabloid journalism on Talk Shite or The Sun or The Mirror. Start a thread like "Why are man U our rivals because they ar 30 miles away on a Scouse forum and you would get the same reaction

Ha i might start a thread myself in a moment-

**Palace- lose at Wembley and you'll never play us again after next season,which is bad for the rivalry,still the double drop will be the least of your worries,as you struggle to stay in the league after a 3rd admin**

But i won't there's not enough room.. :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Perhaps it's an indication that some of us are a little tired of the shenanigans? On your point about us having a hooligan problem, I was amazed when I lived up north that an Everton mate of mine said they always dreaded Brighton coming to town as we caused so many problems.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
not drop the rivalry, rivalry is always good in sport... sh*tting in changing rooms and other stupid sh*t isnt needed, but good ol rivalry is what keeps sport even more gripping...

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
No doubt there wasn't this kind of reaction come 4pm on March 17th. When we got done and one of our lot takes a prank maybe a little further over the line than he should then its pretty to easy to jump on this kind of bandwagon. Would love to know how you plan to just "stop" a rivalry anyway. Ridiculous. Makes those games extra special, every club has one. Those that go a little too far still and turn it into violence normally get their punishment one way or another, at some point.

Poogate is obviously not a great advert but it is funny and is certainly not much different to the hundred other pranks we hear over the season.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

Or perhaps some people, on both sides of the argument, find it an interesting topic to debate? Isnt that the whole point of a forum? If you find it attention seeking then dont get involved

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Or perhaps some people, on both sides of the argument, find it an interesting topic to debate? Isnt that the whole point of a forum? If you find it attention seeking then dont get involved

I was wondering. Do you live in Kamp Town and vote for the tree huggers? JNo wonder other teams' fans give us such a load of abuse with people like you on board.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Perhaps it's an indication that some of us are a little tired of the shenanigans? On your point about us having a hooligan problem, I was amazed when I lived up north that an Everton mate of mine said they always dreaded Brighton coming to town as we caused so many problems.

Same when I lived in Suffolk, Ipswich police and fans regarded us as bad as Millwall but not quite as bad as Norwich.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I was wondering. Do you live in Kamp Town and vote for the tree huggers? JNo wonder other teams' fans give us such a load of abuse with people like you on board.

People like me? I'm just a life long Albion fan that supports my team with passion and has done for thirty years through thick and thin. I love the rivalry that thrives in all sport and in football. I just hate the violence and hatred that appears when the it all goes too far. Why do you have a problem with that?

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
It's a shame we can't renew our true rivalry with Southampton as we are not going up this year :(

:lolol: no wonder other fans take the piss when we have fans suggesting we start a rivalry with other clubs (can't remember who did the thread on the southampton one last year) I will always hate palace as a club in general. They are cheats who take the piss out of us losing the goldstone and they seem to forget that they should have gone bust. They play in a dump of a ground and call ours a soulless bowl filled with plastics even though they magically sell out 33,000 gaining 10,000 more fans than their highest attendance and as for the so called hooligan problems I haven't seen more than 2 fights this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports