Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
Oh come on, poogate is the hot 'topic' of the moment.. Once you get passed the initial yuk reaction, it is quite funny. The individual responsible obviously has some issues that he needs to get sorted, but all those fans going on and on about 'smearing' the club's reputation need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. The 'deposit' was found on around the toilet, not spread around the dressing room, or flung on the walls - it could easily have been someone with a stomach upset? It's just a flash in the pan, it'll be forgotten in two or three weeks. The only reason it has made headline news around the world, is that journalists have been able to get all their poo puns in print.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don't see how you DROP a rivalry? Are we supposed to behave differently and forget something that has been a fundamental part of being an Albion fan for the past 40-odd years just because some dickhead took a shit on a floor?

It wasn't me.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Do me a favour ffs, go back and show me where I said vandalism and abuse of children is acceptable, get a grip.

You can have a rivalry without being moronic.[/QUOTE

We agree on this.

My choice of the word rivalry in my OP has perhaps muddied the waters from the point I was trying to make. I corrected this in a much earlier post. Rivalry fine but hatred is never good and when it spills over into extreme (moronic) behaviour then I personally think its time to re asses.

My OP should have been ' is it time to drop the hatred' though

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Rivalry is good, but all the posturing from 40 something wannabees bores me now. I'm in my 40s, with kids and now live near Cambridge and haven't bothered with any of the three games at Selhurst in the last two years.

I went to the goldstone 3 times in the 80s with all the extras that entailed. Edgy and fun at the time, but I'd rather take my son to a Barnsley or Burnley with no aggro.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always want you to lose, but I've been posting on here for 12 years, because it's more grown up than the Bbs, and I've considerable respect for Brighton fans. That's why I think it's remarkable you're getting 30k, who cares about their history.

Continue with the rivalry but the mature reaction this week, mainly from both sides, on the game and poogate points the way forward. I think Brighton are a little obsessed with Palace, a result of the lean years, and I think you need to unburden yourselves a bit.

I also live near Cambridge but an Albion fan. I would concur with your thoughts. I've been to Selhurst a couple of times and now being a father would much rather go to Peterborough or Bolton away due to the hostile atmosphere. Likewise for the home fixture.

That said, rivalry is good. I have good banter with a Palace fan I know up here and we both enjoyed meeting up to watch the first leg at a local pub.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You may have won more in division 3 south, but when the big games arrive, we turn up. :p

Only in recent times-how many times did you beat us in the highest division?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Its interesting the number of posters that suggest that it's only the 'prawn sarnie' brigade or JCLs that 'don't get it'. I wonder if it's far more to do with age. I made my first to Selhurst in the Mullery/Hilaire days when the hatred was at its most intense and and the 'moronic' behaviour was at its peak. I loved it all, a particulate highlight was walking into our stand as fellow fans were trying to lob bits of terrace into the palace end.

So yes 'I get it' but I am (to use the words of a few previous posters) bored of it now. Not the rivalry but the extreme behaviour that goes with it. To me that just seems inappropriate and pathetic in 2013 and incongruous with the background of the Amex, AITC, the support we had via fans united etc, REMF, and the overall bright new dawn that we are enjoying.

But maybe it's just that I'm older and have moved on.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Only in recent times-how many times did you beat us in the highest division?

You've never been in the premier league :wink: but let's be honest here who else could be your rivals ????

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You've never been in the premier league :wink: but let's be honest here who else could be your rivals ????

My good friend i stated highest division,the old 1st Division is at the same level,so can you answer the question?.....

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
My good friend i stated highest division,the old 1st Division is at the same level,so can you answer the question?.....

I'm not bothered how many games either of us has won in the past . When it mattered to the fans we did it and to me that's all that counts . Could you answer the question of who would be your rival .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some of us can remember when Palace were 'just another club', before Mullery and Venables had their spat and The Sun bigged it up - I say, yes, let's get back to that! I never shared in the hatred anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why? It's great fun IMO, only we're not the ones enjoying it at the moment. I imagine Palace wouldn't entertain giving it up right now :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm not bothered how many games either of us has won in the past . When it mattered to the fans we did it and to me that's all that counts . Could you answer the question of who would be your rival .

It matted to the fans of the day,of every single match in the top flight,i believe Brighton have NEVER LOST to CPFC in the top flight.

I could put it another way-who is Brighton's best striker,of all time?
A-Peter Ward 36 Goals in a season (remains a club record)
Or
B-Michael Robinson 19 goals (in a season in the top flight)

I would actually say answer B

And in answer to your question- Brighton V Palace Not a Derby in the truest sense,but TRUE rivalry and the best bit is,most of football cannot understand it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rivalry is good, but all the posturing from 40 something wannabees bores me now. I'm in my 40s, with kids and now live near Cambridge and haven't bothered with any of the three games at Selhurst in the last two years.

I went to the goldstone 3 times in the 80s with all the extras that entailed. Edgy and fun at the time, but I'd rather take my son to a Barnsley or Burnley with no aggro.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always want you to lose, but I've been posting on here for 12 years, because it's more grown up than the Bbs, and I've considerable respect for Brighton fans. That's why I think it's remarkable you're getting 30k, who cares about their history.

Continue with the rivalry but the mature reaction this week, mainly from both sides, on the game and poogate points the way forward. I think Brighton are a little obsessed with Palace, a result of the lean years, and I think you need to unburden yourselves a bit.
Excellent post. It's funny because for about ten years now (before this season) I hadn't really considered us to be rivals simply because the period of real rivalry was actually quite short, only a decade or so, and since then we'd spent a much longer time at opposite ends of the football spectrum - it was a bit like Stockport trying to claim a rivalry with Man City. Also we weren't rivals when I first started watching Brighton (1966) and the REMF association had long since dulled any edge I felt. A season or so ago I was even trying to talk up a rivalry with Southampton!

This season I've recanted a bit and I now DO consider us to be rivals again, but only slightly more than in the same way as when I play my mate at golf we're rivals. I want to beat him but after the game we go and have a pint in the bar not a fight in the car park.

Hope Watford stuff you of course, but it won't be the end of my world if you win.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wrong way round !!!

Brighton have won 37, and Palace 35.

Yeah, nice straw for us to clutch at. It's a bit like looking at England's head-to-head record with other countries. In quite a few we've got the better ones - but the other teams always seem to win the ones that matter. It's a bit like us and Palace. First game we play after about twenty years? They win 5-0. We get a win at Selhurst Park? A few months later they come back and win 3-2 at Withdean with last-minute goal. The St Patrick's Day Massacre? Two months later they dump us out of the play-offs. I'd rather they had the better head-to-head and we'd had the important wins TBH.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yeah, nice straw for us to clutch at. It's a bit like looking at England's head-to-head record with other countries. In quite a few we've got the better ones - but the other teams always seem to win the ones that matter. It's a bit like us and Palace. First game we play after about twenty years? They win 5-0. We get a win at Selhurst Park? A few months later they come back and win 3-2 at Withdean with last-minute goal. The St Patrick's Day Massacre? Two months later they dump us out of the play-offs. I'd rather they had the better head-to-head and we'd had the important wins TBH.

here's another little straw-Brighton's record versus Palace in the top flight

Season 1980/81
18/04/1981 League Crystal Palace 0-3 Brighton
27/12/1980 League Brighton 3-2 Crystal Palace
Season 1979/80
05/04/1980 League Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton
26/12/1979 League Brighton 3-0 Crystal Palace
Season 1978/79

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
here's another little straw-Brighton's record versus Palace in the top flight

Season 1980/81
18/04/1981 League Crystal Palace 0-3 Brighton
27/12/1980 League Brighton 3-2 Crystal Palace
Season 1979/80
05/04/1980 League Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton
26/12/1979 League Brighton 3-0 Crystal Palace
Season 1978/79

Season 2012/2013
13/05/13 championship play off second leg
Brighton & hove Albion 0-2 crystal palace
Palace reach play off final .

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Season 2012/2013
13/05/13 championship play off second leg
Brighton & hove Albion 0-2 crystal palace
Palace reach play off final .

You have a point..............if by some perverse coincidence a play off semi defeat v palace ensures some future bigger picture is assured,i'll take it..........your not buying it are you...............Gold scurries off for a rest.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011

Take your son along to a Burnley/Blackburn game.
No rivalry there, all good pals and jolly good company! BHA on the whole have very well behaved supporters, although a lot on this site could be watching tennis instead of football with the amount of passionless drivel that is written. Brighton v palace is the only fixture I'm weary off and I enjoy the tension.
Perhaps if the players had felt more like me rather than you in the play off games we would be looking at a final against watford, and none of this Gus rubbish would have even occurred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports