Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

No, the result the another night will intensify the rivalry tenfold.

I think if you're old enough to remember the 70s you're old enough to know better.
"Go get your father's gun...shoot the Palace scum"
Is that really acceptable at a football match?
Is it really any more acceptable than the homophobic "We can see you holding hands"?
So, in short, yes.

eagleofpeace

May 14, 2013
and Pompey have a few more naughty boys as do Millwall for Palace.

Us and Palace go together
best rivalry in football for me....when we were maybe going to disappear during administration the thought that we might never play each other again made me cry.....long may it continue.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Rivalry is good, but all the posturing from 40 something wannabees bores me now. I'm in my 40s, with kids and now live near Cambridge and haven't bothered with any of the three games at Selhurst in the last two years.

I went to the goldstone 3 times in the 80s with all the extras that entailed. Edgy and fun at the time, but I'd rather take my son to a Barnsley or Burnley with no aggro.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always want you to lose, but I've been posting on here for 12 years, because it's more grown up than the Bbs, and I've considerable respect for Brighton fans. That's why I think it's remarkable you're getting 30k, who cares about their history.

Continue with the rivalry but the mature reaction this week, mainly from both sides, on the game and poogate points the way forward. I think Brighton are a little obsessed with Palace, a result of the lean years, and I think you need to unburden yourselves a bit.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
It's good to have a rivalry, the obsession is the thing that's a bit too much, like singing anti palace songs every game, I'd rather we sang songs aimed at the teams we are playing, singing we hate palace isn't gonna intimidate the likes of Leicester or Forest

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

I now know where the phrase 'as simple as abc' comes from

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Rivalry is good, but all the posturing from 40 something wannabees bores me now. I'm in my 40s, with kids and now live near Cambridge and haven't bothered with any of the three games at Selhurst in the last two years.

I went to the goldstone 3 times in the 80s with all the extras that entailed. Edgy and fun at the time, but I'd rather take my son to a Barnsley or Burnley with no aggro.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always want you to lose, but I've been posting on here for 12 years, because it's more grown up than the Bbs, and I've considerable respect for Brighton fans. That's why I think it's remarkable you're getting 30k, who cares about their history.

Continue with the rivalry but the mature reaction this week, mainly from both sides, on the game and poogate points the way forward. I think Brighton are a little obsessed with Palace, a result of the lean years, and I think you need to unburden yourselves a bit.

I agree with all of that. If Pretty Fairy had his way, then you and I would not be supporting our clubs anymore. Madness!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So you think it makes me a lesser fan because I have to ask why you think violence, vandalism, abuse of children etc is ok? I'm obviously missing something because you think I shouldn't have to ask so could you please explain it to me? I would genuinely like to know

Do me a favour ffs, go back and show me where I said vandalism and abuse of children is acceptable, get a grip.

You can have a rivalry without being moronic.

May 15, 2013
No, as a Palace supporter the last two season with you in your new ground and a good team have been great, even losing 3-0 and being soaking wet on a bus back to town full of happy Brighton supporters that seemed to take an hour to move 50 yards . I moved down to Brighton shortly after we beat you 5-0 and to be honest that looked a long way off then. The Danny Dyer posturing is stupid but you get idiots with any club but they are very much in the minority with Palace and Brighton thankfully.

Good to see you back long may the rivalry continue but hopefully without the idiots and pooing.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
We stood by you during your wilderness years, when Charlton were begging us to be their rival.
I think a lot of you thought that this was your chance to finally free yourselves from the Palace dominance over the years, but after Monday's result and the fallout after,natural order has been resumed.
Nice stadiums and 30,000 crowds dont make you a better team, and that has been proven.
Chances are we'll play each other next season, so long live the rivalry.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
We stood by you during your wilderness years, when Charlton were begging us to be their rival.
I think a lot of you thought that this was your chance to finally free yourselves from the Palace dominance over the years, but after Monday's result and the fallout after,natural order has been resumed.
Nice stadiums and 30,000 crowds dont make you a better team, and that has been proven.
Chances are we'll play each other next season, so long live the rivalry.

I'm sorry but I think I'll have to poo poo what you just came out with - you've won 37, we've won 35 - that's hardly dominance!! Natural order? What a huge pile of hot steaming selhurst park!:shit:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I'm sorry but I think I'll have to poo poo what you just came out with - you've won 37, we've won 35 - that's hardly dominance!! Natural order? What a huge pile of hot steaming selhurst park!:shit:

What is it with you lot and poo ??

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
BTW, you can't just 'drop' a 'rivalry' after 40 years! We absolutely loathe them and from my experience, the feeling is mutual. I'm sure the 'prawn sandwich' brigade newcomers don't understand it, but it's a big part of what being a Brighton fan is. Playing Palace is a bigger game to us than playing Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Wrong way round !!!

Brighton have won 37, and Palace 35.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here