Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
As most have said, keep the rivalry but hatred real hatred is pathetic. The REMF has shown what can be done. Give each other shit (yeah I know) for 364 days a year but leave any violence to the history books.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

Exactly this! Glad it's the first reply too.

Nothing more SHOULD be needed to be said unless plastic and not been around the last 20 odd years.

OP says about REMF etc. but that is only BECAUSE of the rivalry. Rivalry is different to hatred, though on match days there is a little tiny cross over

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
There is also nowhere near the passion or fervour either.

Absolutely, there is rivalry between NZ and Australia in rugby but its like watching an Alice in Wonderland production. The passion, hostility and hatred makes the Crystal Palace game so exciting, but then some people want to make spectating football like a game of village cricket or a game of netball.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes it is. Our 'local' rivals are now Bournemouth. Palace have produced the likes of Moses & Zaha through their development system. We've produced El Abd ! Palace got mega compensation for their manager and picked up someone who tactically outsmarted ours when it really mattered. We were stuck with Uruguay's answer to Frank Spencer from a tactical perspective. Until our development squad comes up with the goods our 'local' rivals are Bournemouth.

:thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Palace will take every opportunity to get one over on us, would the OP leave his front door unlocked tonight in a demonstration in the faith of goodwill and human nature too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why would you drop a rivalry ?? Without that it all becomes much more sterile, and dare I say 'plastic'. Its what gets the blood going, the nerves jangling and the games are the first you look for when the fixtures come out. Those that take it too far have their own issues and I'd suggest the creator of 'poogate' has borderline mental health issues and needs society to look after him.

But for the rest of us a healthy rivalry / banter / abuse is all part of the fun.

A rush of adrenaline often leads to burglars leaving a deposit in the house they are robbing. Maybe he had been constipated since SaTURDay and the occasion got to him.

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
brightons natural rivals should be pompey, i find kids of 7ish telling me I hate palace! well that's your dads influence . many palace 18 yr olds etc class millwall and the clowns as their rivals

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
brightons natural rivals should be pompey, i find kids of 7ish telling me I hate palace! well that's your dads influence . many palace 18 yr olds etc class millwall and the clowns as their rivals

But Pompey have Saints and we have played Pompey far less than Palace....in short we have a rival that wants to be (by majority of their fans) our rival-

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Those 7 year olds get the hatred from their grandfathers. It is passed down from generation to generation.

MerkBall

May 13, 2013
Cardiff
I'm an Englishman living in Wales... I know all about rivalry on big rugby days.... especially this year.. (what a shocker!).... it is real, passionate rivalry, but I've never had any hatred, ever... only BANTER. Exactly how it should be IMHO. I know this isn't rugby and yes I do 'hate' Palace, but not to the extent where I would crack some skulls and smear shit all over their walls, seriously... wtf.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Palace are just another team,nothing less nothing more,we gain 3 points when we defeat them and receive nothing when we loose.
It was a disgusting action and we should all apolagise

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see how you DROP a rivalry? Are we supposed to behave differently and forget something that has been a fundamental part of being an Albion fan for the past 40-odd years just because some dickhead took a shit on a floor?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't see how you DROP a rivalry? Are we supposed to behave differently and forget something that has been a fundamental part of being an Albion fan for the past 40-odd years just because some dickhead took a shit on a floor?

It was a modern day Alan Mullery moment,basically the person was saying "Hey Palace,your not even worth that"

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
So you think it makes me a lesser fan because I have to ask why you think violence, vandalism, abuse of children etc is ok? I'm obviously missing something because you think I shouldn't have to ask so could you please explain it to me? I would genuinely like to know
I quite agree with you on this...rivalry yes...but all this stupid violence is not called for...some people need to mature a bit with their behaviour....yes there are some dumb supporters on both sides,lots of supporters were not around when it flared up ......

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
No, NEVER! You can do what you like, real fans will always hate Palarse. I will never forget the 70s.

I used to go and watch palace regularly in the seventies before the rivalry started as we were in the old third division and they were in the first - it was the nearest and cheapest way to see first division matches. I semi supported them - they wore claret and blue then and were the 'glaziers', so never really got into the rivalry thing. Perhaps in the future the real rivals will be Brighton City who are my local team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here