Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it time to close down twitter and facebook to protect our national security

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If anything social media is a help to the authorities trying to track and imprison terrorists as it flags them up and provides a clear evidence trail for prosecutions. I suspect the OP is perhaps something of an older gent?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as terrorists use both to undermine British security
discuss nicely please

would you care to explain in what way facebook or twitter affect, let alone undermine our security? or is this just the regurgitation of some panic inducing tabloid page filler with no grounding in reality?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What is your view?

maybe for a short while
phone messages can been intercepted, but it is difficult to cover all of twitter and facebook (this just said by the head of MI5)
6 MAJOR TERRORIST PLOTS FOILED JUST LAST YEAR.

and I seem to remember the Croydon riots being run from twitter and face book

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Shall we ban all print media/ books/ novels/ essays?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
would you care to explain in what way facebook or twitter affect, let alone undermine our security? or is this just the regurgitation of some panic inducing tabloid page filler with no grounding in reality?
Perhaps more the regurgitation of some panic inducing statement by the head of MI5...........

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
is it time to close down twitter and facebook to protect our national security as terrorists use both to undermine British security
discuss nicely please

2ce58978fd07aca731a775cd109c6a12.jpg

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
maybe for a short while
phone messages can been intercepted, but it is difficult to cover all of twitter and facebook (this just said by the head of MI5)

Did you type that or was it a copy and paste from a tabloid headline?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Nearly a year ago in Hong Kong they had pro democracy protests, and it was rumored that the government brought down the cellular data networks. So people started using fire chat which is peer to peer and doesn't require cellular or internet connection. There is a way around most technical things these days!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
maybe for a short while

You're aware there are other ways and means available for people / terrorists to communicate with each other over the internet other than Twitter and Facebook ?

Personally I've never seen a terrorists Facebook page anyway. Would probably make for an interesting read though.

Adbul Ahmad
Soooooo pissed off right now

Jarif Zaheedi
Awww, whats up hun ? Sending a thousand virgins

Adbul Ahmad
Thx babes. God is Great xx

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nearly a year ago in Hong Kong they had pro democracy protests, and it was rumored that the government brought down the cellular data networks. So people started using fire chat which is peer to peer and doesn't require cellular or internet connection. There is a way around most technical things these days!

so there might be
but why make it easy for them

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
How the IRA ever managed without Twitter I'll never know.

This is just government scaremongering to justify their fascist motions to invade privacy. Annoyingly for no real reason than they just like to know more about us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're aware there are other ways and means available for people / terrorists to communicate with each other over the internet other than Twitter and Facebook ?

Personally I've never seen a terrorists Facebook page anyway. Would probably make for an interesting read though.

Adbul Ahmad
Soooooo pissed off right now

Jarif Zaheedi
Awww, whats up hun ? Sending a thousand virgins

Adbul Ahmad
Thx babes. God is Great xx

Expect a notification of Fatwah in the post tomorrow!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
so there might be
but why make it easy for them

Do you honestly believe that major terrorist plots are hatched over Twitter and Facebook ? If they were, I'd imagine MI5's job would be pretty straightforward.

"Morning sarge. Anyone checked that #LetsBombSwindon hashtag lately ? I'll have a quick look after lunch, see if they've put a date up yet".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here