Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it time Knockaert had a rest and lua lua brought back

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No. And I love watching Kaz!

Neither incumbent deserves to be dropped.

But I would certainly have Kaz on the bench ....a long way ahead of Skalak based on what we've seen so far. Kaz's pace and tricks can turn a game. Can Skalak? Maybe. But at this stage we need to go with what we know and for me that's Kaz.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I actually kind of agree with the OP here, on the basis that KLL is actually back to 100% fitness. I think squad rotation and competition for places is important and will help keep squad morale high. If we get an injury tomorrow to Knocky or Murphy, what then? We are stuck with Skalak or LuaLua both of which have not had much first team football recently.

People have forgotten just how good KLL was before his injury this season, he was massively influential and without his contribution we would be at least a couple of places lower in the league imo.

Changing things slightly would also make us less predictable, it keeps opposition managers guessing. We are blessed with what appear to be four high quality wingers, all of which bring something different to the party. The prospect of facing KLL is very different to the prospect of facing Knockaert or Murphy.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with Kaz bench, but Knocky and Murph to retain their starting 11 status.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
CHs difficult decisions

Wednesday have changed since we last played them, so we don't know of they are going to play their usual nine men behind he ball and hope to catch us on the counter with flukey long shot come cross. My betting is that they will be a bit defensive and that we will have to be patient and try and prise them open with a piece of individual skill, rather than against Bristol City (slow at the back) or Leeds (just plain incompetent) when the % game of playing the ball into the opposing box worked a treat.

So to my mind, a different proposition requires changes.

There is always the argument whether we should play our best players or our in-form regulars? We still need our link between the defence and attack and that means Knockaert, Rosenoir (if Bong is back) or Jamie Murphy or two of them.

If Lualua or Knockaert ran into space they would be the most effective. As so far they don't Murphy and Rosenoir* look just as good bets. (*except Rosenoir may have to play left back).

Hemed is a shoe in as first forward (sort of target man) and the main issue seems to be who should partner him up front? The obvious choice is to include Wilson, Baldock or Skalák. (if Lualua ran into space I would include him on the list.) Not forgetting Bobby Zamora.

This is the role of second striker. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197254.stm
"They can be playing quite deep* one minute and then burst forward to link up with their striker.
They'll be very comfortable on the ball, have great vision and a very quick turn of pace.
They will usually create plenty of chances for team-mates, but also bang in more than a few themselves."
(*can play wide as well to try and draw the defence out and allow a midifielder to push forward.)

WA kept on moaning about Baldock coming too deep and not running into space (off the shoulder of the last defender and not getting caught offside), but that is part of the role. It does mean Baldock tends to look to shoot rather than pass, an acusation that could be directed at both Wilson and Lualua (Lualua is rather at good at shooting with both feet). We have not seen enough of Skalák, but why did we sign him if he was not meant for this role?

We could always play one upfront (away games) and push Dale Stephens forward with an extra midfielder. Stephens is sometimes wasted a bit in a defensive role and his record for assists/goals is better than Baldock. Stephens takes the best corner as well.

In summary; Lualua is the most skilfull, but he needs to up his game a bit to take Jamie Murphy's place. Baldock or another a second striker to start?

All our forwards have better records when starting the game. I think the subs have to be on at 66 minutes (not 75 minutes) to get up to pace of the game.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I agree with Kaz bench, but Knocky and Murph to retain their starting 11 status.

Conventional wisdom and Wednesday will see it coming all the way.

I think it is who will partner Hemed up front?

View attachment 72887

To my mind the two most important outfield players are the covering central defender and the second striker roles in a 4-4-2.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We were crying out for Lua Lua on Saturday off the bench. A player who can create from nothing and very different to our other wingers. Once Preston had Sussed us out on the flanks we were never going to score and Lua Lua would have been by far a better option than Skalak.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
burst forward to link up with the main striker

We were crying out for Lua Lua on Saturday off the bench. A player who can create from nothing and very different to our other wingers. Once Preston had Sussed us out on the flanks we were never going to score and Lua Lua would have been by far a better option than Skalak.

I am in favour of playing Lualua from the start, but could he run into the space like Jamie Murphy for the disallowed goal? Could Knockaert? Baldock probably could but he might not have scored. Skalak and Wilson could probably have run off the shoulder of the defender as well.

I can't see how we could drop Jamie Murphy, Knockaert or Baldock yes.

Until Lualua learns to run into space, he will not be an automatic first choice.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Let LuaLua fight his way back into contention the same as everyone else. Until then, Knocky and Murphy to start.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wednesday have got the same defence that Fenelon and O'Grady could get past last season at home. (I thought their defence looked strong at the time.) Lualua was on the wing with our formidable midfield of Ince, Forster-Caskey and Crofts.

I think our attack should do better this time. It can't help but be more mobile.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'd swap Skalak for Lua Lua in the squad, you've got to go with your best players at this crucial stage and Skalak is not the finished article. No way would i leave Knockaert out.

Yep this

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Slight change of mind; not so much playing the best players, nor the players that are in form, but the players that can do the job that is required of them*. Bearing in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. That;'s plan A Then subs would be like for like. *Lualua be out of favour because of this?

I would like the bench to have Plan B, able to change the plan if it is not working.

At the moment, the plan when we are chasing game seems to be to push an extra man forward and risk being caught at the back.

I think it will be the same team, by dint of now having much time on the training ground to change it. After this game we've got a whole week.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959051/Preview

PS; If Bong is fit, I would be tempted to start Rosenoir on the right instead of Knockaert?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think CH is exactly correct Murphy and Knockhaert starting with Skalak on the bench with Lua Lua watching from the seats.

Correct........................... There is no way to justify Lua Lua in the team. If he was looking better or sharper in training than the other then he would be in the squad. He obviously isn't, hence there is no place for him in the squad until that happens.

CH is not governed or swayed by past glories. Only the here and now will do when chasing Promotion

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Both Knockaert and Baldock are height compromised. Room for just one of them? Jiří Skalák is not much taller. So is Richie Towell for that matter.

For good or bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here